BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see to get message on dash that said map was unavailable because I’m navigating with Apple Car play. Somehow I got them both to display. I believe I had music shown on display and maps kicked on. Now three trips later, they both stay on. As a Lyft driver, this will help

I had a 530e and had maps on always. It helps see roads without turning your head

now if I could only get the street name to appear in bottom of dash like my 530e, that would help more. It shows on the maps in the display unit. But I never use the in car maps/navigation.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
Apple Maps is complete garbage.
Huh. I use it all the time, but I don’t drive Lyft/Uber. And I don’t want Google tracking me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like Waze, but I understand that Apple Maps has improved a lot. What are the advantages of Apple Maps over Waze? I could be convinced to give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
I like Waze, but I understand that Apple Maps has improved a lot. What are the advantages of Apple Maps over Waze? I could be convinced to give it a shot.
Mostly privacy. No one but you ever has your path or start/end. They actually chop the route into chunks for privacy. As a mapping/routing system, it’s on par. In cities, the new flyby is useful. I get that some people prefer Google, but I find their tracking and storage of my location creepy at best, and I hate that they share it in advertising and use it.

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
its complete garbage. Google only tracks you if you allow it. Pretty simple.
Nope. Not true. That’s what they want you to believe, but it’s not true.

Reactions: kipsate

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mostly privacy. No one but you ever has your path or start/end. They actually chop the route into chunks for privacy. As a mapping/routing system, it’s on par. In cities, the new flyby is useful. I get that some people prefer Google, but I find their tracking and storage of my location creepy at best, and I hate that they share it in advertising and use it.
You can turn that all off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for that! Honestly, the thing I like most about Waze is the active speed trap warnings. the community is large enough and reports enough that I get those hits before my radar detector even gets a whiff of them.

Reactions: Delphunkey and ssh

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
Thanks for that! Honestly, the thing I like most about Waze is the active speed trap warnings. the community is large enough and reports enough that I get those hits before my radar detector even gets a whiff of them.
Yeah, I used Waze for a number of years (after paying for mapping apps in the early days!), but then they started doing geo-based advertising and then got bought by Google. Check out the class action lawsuits due to Google not obeying their own do-not-track settings. There’s more there, but I’m not trying to convince those who love Google, only inform those who are unaware. Again, this is my profession and has been for a long time.

Reactions: takrdown

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey and everything else but carbon
115 Posts
And you if you think that Apple is not tracking anything at all and it is very different? You are so wrong... Most closed ecosystem with no option to validate what data is stored and how it is being used. Apple is using advertise ID, tracking phone to number and gps locations...
All companies does the same - you personal identity and digital id is now data that is worth money... And on top you have also FB, instagram, etc....
I do recommend to read: Mind F*ck - this is not about apple, but about data aggregation. And in OSINT and in investigation usually everyone starts with the phone...

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
And you think Apple is not tracking anything at all? Most closed ecosystem with no option to validate what data is stored and how it is being used. Apple is using advertise ID, tracking phone to number and gps locations...
All companies does the same - you personal identity and digital id is now data that is worth money... And on top you have also FB, instagram, etc....
I do recommend to read: Mind F*ck
This is not true, but a common trope. Apple is very different in how it computes and manages personal information including location. Just the process of how they build the routing shows how different this is! No calculation in their servers know the entire path nor both departure and destination. They calculate as much locally on-device as possible (with substantially more local compute power, more is possible). There’s so much to this and it’s deeply technical for many on this forum, but Apple approaches privacy as a fundamental human right and requires this review for all systems and apps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The trouble for me as an Apple user is that Apple Maps is so extremely terrible at routing, tried it the other day for routing to a venue for a wedding and it wanted me to take a big detour, park the car and walk the last 2 km when there are perfectly good roads for cars going straight to the venue. All in all the travel time would have been more than twice as long as going directly there, Google maps had no such problems with routing.

Honestly I am actually considering ditching Apple to get an Android device now that I have the BMW i4, both since Apple Maps is so bad and to get it in the drivers dash I need to use Apple Maps with CarPlay. And because CarPlay in general looks a lot worse than Android Auto when they add rounded corners to the a square area on the display.

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey and everything else but carbon
115 Posts
This is not true, but a common trope. Apple is very different in how it computes and manages personal information including location. Just the process of how they build the routing shows how different this is! No calculation in their servers know the entire path nor both departure and destination. They calculate as much locally on-device as possible (with substantially more local compute power, more is possible). There’s so much to this and it’s deeply technical for many on this forum, but Apple approaches privacy as a fundamental human right and requires this review for all systems and apps.
I can actually say the same that your statement is a common trope as many people believes what apple is saying vs what was initially doing. And let's agree to disagree as AFAIR our profession is very close to each other.
I am spending too much time with managing both types of devices and unfortunately without reverse engineering of the code we would not be able to get to the final answer. Unfortunately, my trust to apple devices is highly on the opposite side eg. zero day vul prices...
Coming back to the topic - main goal of navigation is to be accurate, provide proper routing. Honestly, I do not care if Google or Apple knows where do I live or where do I go using navigation system. Apple navigation is rubbish and reminds first versions of TomTom or Garmin from 2000.

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
570 Posts
Privacy aside, the heavy criticisms of Apple Maps are directly related to its accuracy (or perceived lack thereof) and have been for a long time. I can't remember how many times during the initial roll out where Apple was lambasted for sending people off the map (literally) and how ever unfair it is, that meme has stuck all these years.

It's a proof point of how important roll outs of technology are and if you screw up, don't expect the public to give you another shot -- ahem, BMW included.

View attachment 16365 She’s back. I can’t shake her now. It lasted two days.
I'm surprised you were able to get this, I haven't had the opportunity to use Apple Maps in the display yet. For now, the iDrive nav is decent but when there's a new destination to go to, I rely on Google Maps 100%. Hopefully, Google or BMW can manage a better HUD/center screen integration for Google Maps soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
Privacy aside, the heavy criticisms of Apple Maps are directly related to its accuracy (or perceived lack thereof) and have been for a long time. I can't remember how many times during the initial roll out where Apple was lambasted for sending people off the map (literally) and how ever unfair it is, that meme has stuck all these years.
Totally 100% agree. It has taken them years to catch up. At this point, they are decent for the places I visit both in the US and UK, although Google Maps is still better when things get more rarified.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts