BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Super Moderator
i4M50
At BMW dealerships, what are they going to try to upsell me on once I'm in the office with the finance manager? Is there anything I should say YES to?
I was sent a order contract from my dealer and it has Perma Plate $500 and Phantom Footprint for $259 but he said both could be removed if we do not want them, they just add them standard for cars on the lot.

Reactions: ssh

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was sent a order contract from my dealer and it has Perma Plate $500 and Phantom Footprint for $259 but he said both could be removed if we do not want them, they just add them standard for cars on the lot.
Yes, I already have PermaPlate on the quote that I pre-ordered against. I left it on there to make the sales lady more agreeable. Just thinking of the hard sell on all of the other stuff.

Registered
'22 - i4 M50
This is highly dependent on the dealership or the corporate entity that owns it and also by region. Here are some gathered from the forum:
  • Tinting
  • CompleteTheft (stickers all over your various car parts to help deter theft)
  • Their own financing
And the list from @SpikeMike

PermaPlate, IMO, is not worth paying for if you're going to ceramic coat or PPF.

Good luck and just remember to say no and practice 3-5 ways of saying no nicely!

Here are some of my favorites:
  • I need money for rent, not tinting
  • I need money for my kid's college tuition
  • My labradoodle is getting his teeth cleaned next week, I can't get the tire warrantee, sorry
  • I live in a castle with moat, don't need the theft protection

Registered

Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue

Super Moderator
2005 BMW M3 940whp

Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
Exterior paint protection is my dealership go to. No this doesn't warranty dings, paint chips or anything really useful because that would actually cost money to repair. This is to protect from things like bird droppings, watermarks etc. I asked if these cars are ceramic coated. No, that's another charge if I was intrested. According to them they apply something for protection, I assume they just waxed it with some wax that had some ceramic maybe. The first car they did this to was an order and I caught it before I put down a deposit, after some back and forth they got rid of it. The other I completely forgot, it was a last minute order I jumped on. For my M50 I am doing PDC so I'll insist on them taking it off since they will not be taking possession of my car and can't "automatically physically put the paint protection on the car"

Registered
The finance guy pushed the maintenance package, saying it will need brakes every 40k miles. I told him my Model S had 93k miles on it when I sold it and the brakes were like new. He still pushed that BMW will need more brake replacements. Obviously, he doesn't know much about regen. I passed on everything he was pushing.

Registered
22 i4 eDrive40
Some yes. Some no. It's HIGHLY dependent on the dealer.

I'd already talked to my SA & the FI prior to delivery about MSRP & no required add-ons. When signing the paperwork, the FI guy had the usual sheet of wheel & tire warranties, window etching, paint protection, extended service contracts, etc. His words were, "I know you don't want any of this stuff, but do you have any questions? If you change your mind in the next 30 days let me know. Initial here to decline it all." and that was that.

Other dealers will relentlessly push this stuff, even saying it's required as part of the deal.

Registered
This thread is very fascinating! I don鈥檛 think our dealers ever try this upselling scam. What is so difficult about just saying 鈥渘o鈥 to everything? Or, maybe a litte less polite, 鈥渟ave your breath, I am not foolish enough to buy any of your overpriced additional services鈥?

Super Moderator
2005 BMW M3 940whp

I'd already talked to my SA & the FI prior to delivery about MSRP & no required add-ons. When signing the paperwork, the FI guy had the usual sheet of wheel & tire warranties, window etching, paint protection, extended service contracts, etc. His words were, "I know you don't want any of this stuff, but do you have any questions? If you change your mind in the next 30 days let me know. Initial here to decline it all." and that was that.

Other dealers will relentlessly push this stuff, even saying it's required as part of the deal.
My dealer pretty much same way.

Registered
'22 - i4 M50
This thread is very fascinating! I don鈥檛 think our dealers ever try this upselling scam. What is so difficult about just saying 鈥渘o鈥 to everything? Or, maybe a litte less polite, 鈥渟ave your breath, I am not foolish enough to buy any of your overpriced additional services鈥?
You would be surprised at how hard it is to say "no" in a 1-to-1 setting, designed by the dealership with the intent to take advantage of those who are not aware and/or not expecting to be upsold.

I have a good example of my neighbor who picked up his iX the same week of my delivery; I was fresh off my closing paperwork experience and I told him to decline everything and he said he would. As it turns out, he did not and I found out a week later that he had bought the extended tire and maintenance packages but because of a paperwork mistake he was able to back out of it. So yeah, this highly educated, very logical person was persuaded successfully into something he didn't initially want.

Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey ordered 1/2022
I buy dealer paper for a Credit Union and am still floored by the amount of backend products that people purchase. Very common for a contract to come in for funding with 20-25% backend products on it. People often call in days later after they sit down and actually read their installment contract and want to know why they financed $50k when the car was only $37k. Majority of these buyers are mid tier credit and just honest hard working people that became worn out after 3 hours in the business office and just signed so they could leave with the car but still.

Registered
Ordered 2023 M50

The Finance guy in Audi Coral Springs really pissed me off back in 2016 when I purchased my A6. Prior to that, the experience had been fine. I kept saying no to everything. He wouldn鈥檛 take no for an answer.
Especially when he tried to sell me the leather protection. I ended up hating this guy. He calmed down when I said I would take the maintenance plan. After seeing what I was paying for oil changes, etc. on my wife鈥檚 E350 Cabriolet, I felt it was worth the $ at that time. When I purchased my wife鈥檚 e350 cabriolet in 13 and her E400 Coupe in 18, I wasn鈥檛 subjected to such nonsense. Pity the next Finance guy (BMW - if I ever get my M50) if he tries the hard sell.

Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
Reactions: BasedGlob

Registered
Ordered 2023 M50
Is anyone getting an extended warranty? Wasn't sure about it, but i do plan on keeping this car for awhile.
This might be the one time I purchase it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts