BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
E-drive 40 Dravid grey/cognac Msports package with all options.
271 Posts
Is anyone getting an extended warranty? Wasn't sure about it, but i do plan on keeping this car for awhile.

Is anyone getting an extended warranty? Wasn't sure about it, but i do plan on keeping this car for awhile.
I did get the whole extended warranty. It’s not cheap, but didn’t want to deal later with all the costs associated with any repairs or problems and issues.

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,361 Posts
Keep in mind that you can wait until the warranty is about to expire before you do this (and you'll have more data about the car by then). Also, there are alternatives for extended warranties you might want to check out, too...

• Helpful
Reactions: BlueHoosier

·
Registered
Ordered 2023 M50
149 Posts
I did get the whole extended warranty. It’s not cheap, but didn’t want to deal later with all the costs associated with any repairs or problems and issues.
May I ask how much it was?

·
Registered
Ordered 2023 M50
149 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
We went through the process with the iX in the beginning of July. My dealer offered:

• extended warranty
  • Ppf
  • Ceramic
  • Brakes
  • Service (they had no idea what it covered)
  • Wheels and tires
I took the warranty because it is a new car and they gave us 10 years / 100k.

The rest was a simple statement that I had a local company doing all of ppf/tint/ceramic. my guy rocks.

service… not doing unless they can explain what I get and make it a value.

·
Super Moderator
3,361 Posts
service… not doing unless they can explain what I get and make it a value.
Kinda that way for all of it, right? Show me the value! The windshield service was definitely worth it for me here in Colorado on my 330. Other stuff, not so much...

Reactions: BasedGlob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep in mind that you can wait until the warranty is about to expire before you do this (and you'll have more data about the car by then). Also, there are alternatives for extended warranties you might want to check out, too...

That seems like the way to go. Wait for the initial warranty to end. I just hope I don't forget.

·
Super Moderator
3,361 Posts
That seems like the way to go. Wait for the initial warranty to end. I just hope I don't forget.
My suspicion is that as I get close, I'll know whether or not I think I'll have failures in the car making it worth an extended warranty. If nothing has failed, I'm likely to roll the dice unless the extended warranty is very inexpensive at that point.

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
145 Posts
My goal is always to get out of there agreeing to nothing extra. I'll say that I am happy to review the forms at home and call back if I want any add ons. I think warranties and protection plans are high profit for the dealerships. And for aftermarket services like ppf or ceramic, I would go elsewhere if I needed them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
"Sorry, but I am not authorized to make these decisions. I need to speak with my spouse/guardian/caregiver/probation officer first."

·
Registered
185 Posts
so yall know the car comes with the first 3 years of scheduled maintenance included. I wouldn't buy and service packages. it also includes a 4 year standard warrenty unlike most carsd 3 year. and the battery has a 8 year warranty. also check with your car insurance befor you buy any but most car insurance (mine does) covers wheels and tire damage. I personally would pass on anything the dealer is trying to sell you as it will add very little to no value. But I would except the two free oil changes that some dealers are offering LOL

·
Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster
419 Posts
Dealers are ridiculous. Mine has added a charge to the cost of my car for filling it with petrol before I drive it away. He'd better not!! 😂

I took my son to see a £4000 Fiesta last year. We took it for a test drive. By the time we got back, the dealer had "helpfully" done all the paperwork for us and somehow the total had risen to £9000. That's a shedload of extras! We walked.

·
Registered
2023(order), i4Edrive40, SanRemoGreen, CognacSensatec, 18"GunmetalGrey, Premium, HUD, LaserLight, HK
108 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a difference in price if you buy the extended warranty right before the standard warranty expires? or its the same price whether you buy it at the time of purchase as when you buy it before the standard expires. If you're buying the car outright, you're using cash you could use elsewhere. If you're financing, you're paying interest on a service you wont use until 3 years later. If you're leasing, you're paying for extended warranty on the whole value of the car, versus the depreciated value of the car. All of these reasons point to the benefit of waiting till the standard warranty is about to expire UNLESS there is a significant discount. If interest rates are 5% per year, and you expect the standard warranty to expire in 3 years( based on mileage) then you should at least get a 15% price difference by buying ahead. 20% if 4 years, 25% if 5 years. I'm not a finance expert but thats my simple back-of-napkin calculation

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
145 Posts
I've never used the extended warranty on a car though. Dealerships typically pocket half the amount you pay as profit. To me, anyone who can comfortably afford if something breaks down should not be buying a warranty. Now, if your on a fixed income such that repairs break the bank, then maybe I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is my story..

The closest BMW dealership is within walking distance of my house. However, I've always disliked that dealership for a variety of reasons. But, turns they were the ONLY dealership with an i4 available for a test drive. Everything goes well, the salesperson was really nice and knowledgeable. I sat down to build the car and walked thru EVERY option. She provides the build pricing so that I check the numbers.

Immediately saw one correction - in the state of NJ, BEVs do not get taxed, so if the dealer charged you tax, they were not supposed to do it. She corrects that and comes back but the price is still nearly $8k more than it should be because they've tacked on some magical interior/exterior "protection" that as she put comes on every car for a low price of $2180. I said, "Opt me out!".

Salesperson claimed it came with every car AND...(this is the doozy ...)

The dealership REQUIRED that you finance with them because "they want to prevent cash purchases from folks who ship their cars out of the US". Huh? I said I want to pay cash. Salesperson said they couldn't do it. Finance guy comes out and said he could wave the aftermarket magic interior/exterior but I had to finance with them.

I said nope, walked out and called another dealership minutes later. Bought my build within 2-3 days later via phone call and email.

Moral of story, use your power and walk away from bad deals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a difference in price if you buy the extended warranty right before the standard warranty expires? or its the same price whether you buy it at the time of purchase as when you buy it before the standard expires. If you're buying the car outright, you're using cash you could use elsewhere. If you're financing, you're paying interest on a service you wont use until 3 years later. If you're leasing, you're paying for extended warranty on the whole value of the car, versus the depreciated value of the car. All of these reasons point to the benefit of waiting till the standard warranty is about to expire UNLESS there is a significant discount. If interest rates are 5% per year, and you expect the standard warranty to expire in 3 years( based on mileage) then you should at least get a 15% price difference by buying ahead. 20% if 4 years, 25% if 5 years. I'm not a finance expert but thats my simple back-of-napkin calculation
Call around.

For my Mercedes I found out it didn't matter where you bought the extended warranty AND prices varied at each dealership. On another forum, I found a MB dealer in the Midwest that sold the extended warranty at a 1/4 to a 1/3 less than my local dealerships.

So shop around if you want it.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M50
44 Posts
Mine didn't push the Service/Care+ plans since the car doesn't require much, also glazed over the extended warranties... they tried to push exterior protection and gap insurance. The exterior protection included ceramic coating (along with PDR, touch ups, wheel resurfacing, etc.), but I really laughed when they said they could do the ceramic coating same-day while I waited (it was ~8:15PM and the dealer closed at 8PM).

Reactions: MzTeaze
21 - 40 of 44 Posts