BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So first personally I think this whole range anxiety thing is total hog wash. Its no different then planning a long trip in a gas car. So I went to my local fast charger topped off to 100% and off I went. Not I ran the air on full blast (when windows were up) had the radio going some times had the windows down ( in mountains where it was nice), and there was two of us in the car, I speed and basically drove like I normally do I was doing nothing to extend my range. and here is what I got. Wait I take that back there were a lot of down hills on trip down out of mountains so i did put the regenerative braking lever over on the regenerative setting.

But to summarize i traveled 5h and 41 mins for a distance of 305 miles and returned to the same super charger in Asheville where I started at with 7% battery left. I didn't get nervous about range once because along the route i knew there were several chargers. My point is stop worrying about range . when we just use it as the commuter car we go two weeks with no charging.

IM mostly posting this for the daily users and family car drivers ( obviously not cross country drivers LOL) to not worry about range this thing has it covered.
Ecoregion Map World Atlas Parallel

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,792 Posts
Interesting. Just curious, if you had the air on full blast, why did you have the windows down?

I’d also assume that if a lot of your trip was downhill from the mountains, an equal amount was uphill into the mountains. Correct?

Finally, which car, the e40 or M50?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Just curious, if you had the air on full blast, why did you have the windows down?

I’d also assume that if a lot of your trip was downhill from the mountains, an equal amount was uphill into the mountains. Correct?

Finally, which car, the e40 or M50?
Sorry I wasnt clear ( fixed it) I just meant some of the trip I had it full blast (most) and some I had windows down. Both are inefficient LOL. Yes down hill on way out of Asheville into Tryon but not as much uphill on way back as different route but still some. The i4 Edrive

·
Registered
8 Posts
So first personally I think this whole range anxiety thing is total hog wash. Its no different then planning a long trip in a gas car. So I went to my local fast charger topped off to 100% and off I went. Not I ran the air on full blast (when windows were up) had the radio going some times had the windows down ( in mountains where it was nice), and there was two of us in the car, I speed and basically drove like I normally do I was doing nothing to extend my range. and here is what I got. Wait I take that back there were a lot of down hills on trip down out of mountains so i did put the regenerative braking lever over on the regenerative setting.

But to summarize i traveled 5h and 41 mins for a distance of 305 miles and returned to the same super charger in Asheville where I started at with 7% battery left. I didn't get nervous about range once because along the route i knew there were several chargers. My point is stop worrying about range . when we just use it as the commuter car we go two weeks with no charging.

IM mostly posting this for the daily users and family car drivers ( obviously not cross country drivers LOL) to not worry about range this thing has it covered.
View attachment 11108
Do you have 18, 19 or 20 inch wheels?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I will be taking my i4 M50 (19-inch wheels) on a 1,200 mile road trip next weekend; I'll report back on range and charging after that trip. I'm seeing pretty good highway efficiency so far, and I can't wait to try to DCFC at Electrify America.
I'll be waiting for your report, but I'm getting the eDrive40, with 18" wheels.

·
Registered
BMW i4 M50 05/22 Tanzanite Blue Ii Vernasca Moka
60 Posts
I will be taking my i4 M50 (19-inch wheels) on a 1,200 mile road trip next weekend; I'll report back on range and charging after that trip. I'm seeing pretty good highway efficiency so far, and I can't wait to try to DCFC at Electrify America.
Nice! Looking forward to read it.
I will do similar trip on July 9th. Going to South Italy for holiday.
I believe just to be more relaxed. Worst case scenario charger could take a bit longer, but better not to care when going on holidays.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry I wasnt clear ( fixed it) I just meant some of the trip I had it full blast (most) and some I had windows down. Both are inefficient LOL. Yes down hill on way out of Asheville into Tryon but not as much uphill on way back as different route but still some. The i4 Edrive
Since you have driven "a full circle", the total elevation up and down must be equal. Thus, whatever the energy losses due to driving up hill must have been regenerated in the corresponding down hill parts. Since regen is not 100%, it is not the same as driving the same distance on a flat terrain. But good range result!

·
Registered
66 Posts
It would be interesting to see the elevation difference of your journey.
Tip: In Google Maps, click on on the bicycle icon for your journey and you see something like this under Details:
Water Rectangle Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
2 Posts
had my e40 on 18 inch for a few days now, getting an ave of 4 miles per kw. That is a 50/50 mix of motorways (70-80 mph) and a roads for a bit of a play Over 400 miles. No issues charging at fast chargers and for anyone in Norfolk the ones in nacton are great. Love the car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice 👍🏻
Glad I ordered my i4 e40 with 18” wheels.

Not to bash the M50, but the i4 e40 with 18” wheels makes me think of the tortoise while the M50 with 20” wheels makes me think of the hare in Aesop’s fable “The Tortoise and the Hare”. While the M50 hare is charging/napping the i4 e40 will finish the race strong!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since you have driven "a full circle", the total elevation up and down must be equal. Thus, whatever the energy losses due to driving up hill must have been regenerated in the corresponding down hill parts. Since regen is not 100%, it is not the same as driving the same distance on a flat terrain. But good range result!
You would think but.... my route sorta circled a mountain range. The trip down has one part with a long decent into the flat land that was fairly steep so I could regen most the way down. The trip back came around the other side which isnt steep at all its like one long gradual climb back up over 70 miles that you dont even know you are going back up into mountains. so I would think the effcts on the regen were minimum as the down hill part was fairly short and the up hill was so long and gradual . That was what I was kind of saying when i said my trip wasn't efficient and I still made it that far. So flat landers should be able to get more

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,792 Posts
I wonder if others have noticed this range related oddity. I’m almost always in the area of 4 mi/kWh. Calculating my range this way, I’m generally in the area of a 320 mile range. Yet when I look at the app or instrument panel showing the estimated range remaining & the battery %, the range calculation almost always comes out lower, closer to 280-290.

I thought I read somewhere that the range calculation was something that was going to be addressed in a future update.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Anyone has taken a trip up Northern Cali into Nevada? Going from 500ft to 7200ft in elevation. Curious if it will have any effect? Of course mileage will decrease, but still curious on the amount.
Glad you brought this up! This is the main reason I'm trading in my Volvo XC40 for the BMW i4 eDrive40. I make that drive from Reno area to Bay Area quite a lot. In the Volvo I have to charge two times going back up hill (to Reno) on the way down to the Bay Area only one charge is needed. With the reports I'm reading on the range of the i4 I may only have to charge once the whole round trip.........maybe........ I don't have the car yet, looks like August but will let you know my results.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts