BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, slowly there's enough chargers coming to France, problem is, they aren't maintained and LOADS of them are just broken.

Also, what is the bl**dy use of 50kW chargers these days.
It's a bit of an exaggeration :p

Map of chargers ≥ 100kW (outside of Tesla network) in south of France:
Ecoregion Map World Atlas Screenshot

less than 25% are broken 🥳

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's a bit of an exaggeration :p

Map of chargers ≥ 100kW (outside of Tesla network) in south of France:
View attachment 2152

less than 25% are broken 🥳
hehe....it is not far from the same number of charging stations in this picture as there are in a city with 100,000 inhabitants here in Norway😏. Other countries need also to seriously get their finger out and get started on much faster charging station development😜😂

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nonetheless, I'm envious of you. The US is at least 5 years behind you, the concept of adding charging stations into existing petrol stations has not even been discussed, and our "Big Oil" are so powerful that they haven't seen any need to do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the paradox is that Norway also are a large oil and gas nation. Nevertheless, politicians are investing heavily in replacing the car fleet with EV. The climate change challenge is being taken seriously here .... even though we are an oil nation 😜 . Much of the money that Norway earns on oil is now spent on research into alternative energy sources (wind turbines, solar panels and so on)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Elon Musk DID mention he would open up his network to non-Tesla owners, he even said "this year" (2021), but we haven't seen anything yet. On the charging side, the only new news is that they created a "reverse adapter" that allows Tesla owners to use a CCS type 1 charger, but as yet nothing that would allow a non-Tesla owner to connect to their charger. And since their chargers currently automatically find the right account to charge by checking electronically the ID of the car being charged, they would have to define a protocol for non-Tesla owners to open an account with them and change their software to recognize (or request confirmation) of non-Tesla cars.
On the positive side, and with caveats to the unpredictability of Elon, now that Tesla is undoubtedly successful, he has made a public announcement about his prime mission to get the whole society going to Electric cars, not only be a successful electric car maker. However, he is currently arm wrestling the Biden administration that is trying to isolate him as the biggest non-UAW (United Auto Workers, the labor union of auto workers) manufacturer, so he might be using this key asset as leverage in his negotiations.

This is not the French way.

We will wait for the Americans to save us, when they give us access to the Tesla Supercharger network.

·
Registered
115 Posts
@Mycroft , yes, I believe it is the same in every state. Recharging stations are always operated by independent companies totally disconnected from the Oil companies. There are a number of private owners that added recharging stations on their property along with their Petrol franchise though. Most of our charging stations are in Walmart parking lots (almost all of Electrify America stations I looked at from South Carolina to Texas) and shopping mall parking lots. There are a lot of horror stories about Petrol station owners that have one or two <50kW chargers on their property, actually owned by a big network (ChargePoint, EVGo, Blink etc...), but their employees don't even know what these are for and there is no maintenance other than one of the network periodic visit as part of their "rounds".
Of course, Tesla SuperChargers are MUCH MORE professional, being owned and operated by a car company that use them as primary leverage to sell cars.

Which is paradoxical, considering Tesla's leadership in EVs!
It's the same in every State?

·
Registered
40 Posts
In norway there are now so many who have EV`s that the petrol stations install charging stations to get people to come and shop there ...
Until now in 2021, over 90% of all newly sold private cars are EV`s in Norway ... Sales have exploded because electric cars are VAT free and therefore much cheaper than fossil cars

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's not that bad on California. More specifically in the San Francisco Bay Area and down south in the Los Angeles region. There is probably close to 10 fast charging stations within 10 miles of me and I live in a more underserved city in the Bay area. This doesn't even include Tesla super charging stations which are probably more than double.

However I do understand that this is the exception to the norm and the US still has a long way to go with super charging rollouts.

It would be amazing though if instead of trying to have feature parity with ICE vehicles, we instead used this as an opportunity to invest in better infustrucre or awesome new ideas like wireless charging roads. Why do we have to limit ourselves to building charging stations to match the feel of stopping to get gas?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
new ideas like wireless charging roads. Why do we have to limit ourselves to building charging stations to match the feel of stopping to get gas?
Cable connection is by far the most efficient way to charge a battery, wireless charging is very inefficient and requires a lot of equipment... even for phone charging i don't like this technical solution!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is there a maximum price allowed?
If not, I understand that the VAT exemption is also valid for rims, carbon kit and iconic sounds… don't know if exempting luxury cars from VAT will save the earth 🤨
They will introduce VAT on the amount over 60k€ or 600.000NOK sometime within the next 2 years. If i dont get my i4m50 before its introduced it would mean i have to pay 2500€ more for my car.
There is other taxes on fossil cars aswell that makes them way more expensive. ATM a unequipped M3 is about 115k€ while the m50 starts at 54k€.
Also free toll roads, parking, drive in the bus lane on highways around cities++ for EV owners.. 😄

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They will introduce VAT on the amount over 60k€ or 600.000NOK sometime within the next 2 years. If i dont get my i4m50 before its introduced it would mean i have to pay 2500€ more for my car.
There is other taxes on fossil cars aswell that makes them way more expensive. ATM a unequipped M3 is about 115k€ while the m50 starts at 54k€.
Also free toll roads, parking, drive in the bus lane on highways around cities++ for EV owners.. 😄
I had understood that free parking was over, because there are too many EVs 🙃

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there a maximum price allowed?
If not, I understand that the VAT exemption is also valid for rims, carbon kit and iconic sounds… don't know if exempting luxury cars from VAT will save the earth 🤨
Hansn gave the answer (y)

Even if there is VAT on the sum over 60,000 dollars, the "slightly more expensive" EV`s will still be much much cheaper than fossil cars. There are probably such advantages that will make most people switch to EV`s.
When "enough" people have passed over, EV`s will gradually receive "normal" VAT as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts