BMW i4 Forum banner

From Vegas to LA in a single charge

5K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  JMoreno 
#1 · (Edited)
Jet Blue just finished his first road trip. Went from Vegas to LA in a single charge. 275 miles total. For those wondering, yes it is possible to do 300+ miles on a single charge.

Started with 100%. Car predicted 18% arrival. Arrived with 26%.

We’ll done BMW. I am impressed.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Car

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
For me it was the $30k I saved and get the e35 in 3mths or wait 12+ mths for the e40/m50... though maybe I could have saved the $30k by then? Nah... I have two boys who spend my money every minute of the day...

I have a golf trip in August and planning to drive my e35 as my first 'big' trip... so nice to hear of these 'extended' ranges y'all are getting even at 70mph... though my drive there will have to deal with a 4000+ ft climb so may need to make 1 DCFC pitstop for a few minutes just in case... oh and I wonder if I drop my speed to say 50mph during the climbs it might offset the higher consumption rate at 70mph? Will have to test it... so many scenarios... lol

#7 ·
Jet Blue just finished his first road trip. Went from Vegas to LA in a single charge. 275 miles total. For those wondering, yes it is possible to do 300+ miles on a single charge.

View attachment 28775

View attachment 28774
You'd go to L.A. on a dare and you'd go it alone

#8 ·

View attachment 28775

View attachment 28774
You have 18” wheels? Just wondering cus from Ventura county(oxnard) only got to Baker. (Via 210-15)

#9 ·
@JMoreno thanks so much for posting this! I’m driving from LA to Vegas next week and was doing some pre-planning with the My BMW app and ABRP. Both of them recommended that I stop in Barstow but I couldn’t figure out why. I’m driving an iX 50 that typically gives me over 350 miles per charge so it seemed like plenty to get to Vegas. I wanted to ignore the route planning apps and try to make it there on one charge but I was afraid that maybe it was all uphill and efficiency would suddenly drop and I’d be stuck out in the middle of the desert!! Much appreciate your detailed post. Now I have more confidence that I might even tempt a higher speed and using Sport Mode!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::p

#11 ·
Good point! It’s always good to remember efficiency downhill, even slightly, could make a huge difference in efficiency (1.5-2X). This is especially true for the M50 which could easily get 500 miles of range driving at a slight down grade, but on the way back it won’t get 300 miles of range, not even close.

#14 ·
Fantastic! Not sure my e35 could do it. We drive Phoenix to Vegas and back several times a year for bowling tournaments, and it looks like it would be easy with one quick stop to charge in Kingman, where we always stop to pee anyway.

#20 ·

View attachment 28775

View attachment 28774
Wow that is good to know. ABRP has me stopping 2 times I think between vegas and LA.

#21 ·
PlugShare or EA app gives updates on the charge availability. ABRP , question. Does it have good trip route features? I am trying to setup a trip on PlugShare but not very helpful but glad I’m doin the trip before instead on the road.
going to Chicago then Cincinnati, Memphis,Nashville too. Then to Dallas back home via 40.

#22 ·
I just use the BMW navigation to plan the route. It takes important factors into account and from what I have seen is extremely accurate. Other planning apps don’t have access to the car’s data the way BMW navigation does.

We will be making a return trip to Vegas Monday so will update the thread. If in-laws had a charger, I could top up before heading back, so will probably leave with an 80% charge. Let’s see.

#24 · (Edited)

View attachment 28775

View attachment 28774
Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Nice! BMW advertised this back in June of 2021. I got an e40 too. Having max range is sweet. Tortoise and the hare, tortoise and the hare - Aesop’s Fables

#27 ·
#34 · (Edited)
For all those saying, "Oh it's all downhill blah blah" — We made the reverse trip from LA to Vegas, going uphill, on a single charge.

We started the trip at 99%. When we first punched in the navigation, the car told we would have to stop and charge. So it added the EA station in Baker.
Font Display device Multimedia Electronic device Gadget

As we drove some miles later, the car changed its mind and removed the charging station automatically from the trip. It now predicted we would arrive home with 6%.

Map Gadget Font Display device Slope

Computer World Air travel Gadget Vehicle

Here are the final results of the trip.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Automotive mirror Automotive exterior

We made it to Vegas with 13% left. The efficiency was less, but still at 4m/kwh. There were some steep inclines which definitely drain the battery, but the i4's efficiency the rest of the way made up for it.

I have to give the credit for this efficiency to DAPP. I don't think Jet would have been as efficient if I was driving it most of the way.
All in all it was an enjoyable drive, and it has given me great amount of confidence in my BMW.

#35 ·
I have to give the credit for this efficiency to DAPP. I don't think Jet would have been as efficient if I was driving it most of the way.
All in all it was an enjoyable drive, and it has given me great amount of confidence in my BMW.
This is friggin' amazing. BTW, what speed did you set DAPP to? I know traffic tends to be really fast between LA and Vegas. Did you have people zipping past you?

#36 ·
I probably make it on single if I was east LA area. I make Baker stop with 60 miles left. And I’m 75 miles north of LA in Ventura Santa Barbara county lines. Yesterday I came via hwy 14 /58 and it also has long climb. I still Made it to Barstow (stop to eat so I filled up) could have probably made it to Baker but didn’t want to go to low <10%
I been getting great range lately also maybe car is broken on now after one year in service. I am pre-ordering i5 today but can decide eDrive40 or M60 model.
I had great year $$ so was thinking about i7 but the i5 looks great online for half price.
also new Vegas red color look nice wonder if looks like a candy in sun.

#39 ·

View attachment 28775

View attachment 28774
:p It's all downhill, right?

Let's see what you get on return!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.