BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am looking to offset the front license plate on my M50 (when it finally arrives!) using one of the mounts which connects into the tow hook.

What im not sure about is how the default plate attaches to the grill and if there will be holes from where its been attached.

Looking at some pictures the license plate attaches to another black plastic plinth.

Grille Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Can anyone tell me how this plinth is attached to the grill? I refused to believe this is simply screwed straight into the plastic behind it.

It looks like the screw holes line up with the little indents, im hoping that the screws go in at a 45 degree angle perhaps?
Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Thanks!

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,543 Posts
Ken, I think symmetry is an overrated thing.

If the Mona Lisa faced forward it would have been just a mug shot.
George, I think if I were to mount it offset like that, I wouldn't mount it as high as in the pix. I'm hoping I can see some 4 series GCs at the dealer where the plates are already mounted. At least that might give me an idea.

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
67 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’m going with a tow hook mount.
Believe it or not, they actually use these with a bungee type cord(?) for towing in Germany. I remember spending a summer at Lake Constance, Germany, with family friends. One day when I was walking back from swimming in the lake, where the women were topless, some driver had parked his car next to the road and got stuck. A fellow driver got out the cord attached it to the back of his car and the front tow hook of the other car and pulled him out.

If you configure a Porsche Boxster in the US it has German Stuttgart license plate in the front. I’ve never seen a car over there without a front license plate. They even have special German license plates in the US dims to mount on the front of classic imported corvettes and AC Cobras etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts