BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellows, ordered my i4M50 on 7th of June and delivery expected mid February. Been puzzling with the options and one thing bothers a lot. The left kidney has this ugly spot if one doesnt take the DAP. It looks ugly on both the konfigurator and Digital brochure. I Would not want to take those automatic functions/features on my car but that front end looks so ugly without that.. i dont know.. :(

Does someone know if it really looks so weird and ugly without the "radar cover" that comes with DAP? Yesterday i saw a youtube clip of movie theme wrapped i4 showcar and it didn't look like those pictures yet it didn't have the DAP.

My sales guy is clueless about this so all factual info highly apreciated

Edit: found the showroom movie theme video with the "clean" front

·
Registered
181 Posts
These configurators, and especially the digital brochure, tend to be pretty accurate. Here's mine, with DAP:

Funny indeed, that the pattern is not continued on your version. But then again, this is quite a low point of the car. I doubt that it will really be that obvious when facing the car for real. I would not worry that much about it (allthough I know from experience that details like these can keep you awake at night :))

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, really looks off. On the other hand, the "DAP cover" version (yours) might look nasty on some angles also :( (see the pic form todays IAA below)

Definitely the cleanest and best look would be that from the movie theme i4 from the video - just dont know how to get that, ie. which options to choose as none of the konfigurator options wont get you that look

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Electropowa! Of course it looks somehow weird, BUT the whole issue is more like having a ...supermodel as girlfriend (!) and you worry about a small nevus on her neck!

On the other hand, when you show up your new car (and believe me no one will notice that) you could point them at it yourself while saying "Look at all this technology! 5 cameras, 5 radars and 12 supersonic sensors". You will wow them!

·
Registered
181 Posts
A real life photo (from a 4 Coupe)
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
181 Posts
I noticed something else too. Above a picture from the i4 M50. Underneath a picture from a 4 Coupe:
Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Grille Photograph

Wheel Grille Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Seems like there will be no fog lights on the i4?

• Wow
Reactions: homerfan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Guess not. But.. are you going to miss it? I use them as curve lights in the winter in slow speed poor roads, but this car has adaptive lights that will shift the light to where you turn, so that’s probably not needed anymore. For a couple of decades it’s been mostly a design detail

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
In the configurator you can see that there is a button mission for the front fog lights in top left of the light switches.

i4
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

4 coupe
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

it is probability one of the recent first Bmw that doesnt have front fog lights. I had a ‘17 Audi A4 with led headlights that also didn’t have the front fog lights but still had the internal front fog light button with a rain symbol. It did something with the light pattern, to avoid reflections I think. I’m not really sure if the these new BMW adaptive headlights have anything similar (eg when you engage the rear fog light or turn on the wipers).

That being said you really have to be going at very low speed in order to notice any difference. I use the front fog lights at night when doing at very low speed (10-20kmh) a small stretch of gravel / sometimes muddy road to access a weekend house in the country. It’s something that I can perfectly live without and it’s one less thing to malfunction / repair.

regards

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
17 Posts
I'm not sure how bmw adaptive headlights work on the car, but adaptive lights on my BMW bike work like the bomb in corners and led lights have such a wide spread that I don't even think there's a need for fog lamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts