BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I placed my order a few months ago back here in the US- and today after visiting my dealership today, I was informed that because of this special color, even with my pre-order, the M50 would arrive likely by the end of summer or closer to fall.

Has anybody else gotten any updates from their dealer or know if this is in fact accurate?

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
And after visiting my dealership today, I was informed that because of this special color, even with a pre-order, the M50 would arrive likely by the end of summer or closer to fall.

Has anybody else gotten any updates from their dealer or know if this is in fact accurate?
@Msharma, haven't you noticed when reading 60% of the topics here, that 99,9% of the people are waiting for their car, and that a lot of times this waiting is due to colors, chips, type of car (e40/M80)...
Be glad if you do get your car by fall... :rolleyes:
I'm already waiting one year and 4 months for my new car... (and have a look at my signature :ROFLMAO: )

I'm just waiting for the day that one of us...
Sky Smile Cloud White Blue

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Msharma, haven't you noticed when reading 60% of the topics here, that 99,9% of the people are waiting for their car, and that a lot of times this waiting is due to colors, chips, type of car (e40/M80)...
Be glad if you do get your car by fall... :rolleyes:
I'm already waiting one year and 4 months for my new car... (and have a look at my signature :ROFLMAO: )

I'm just waiting for the day that one of us...
Just wondering how long the delay for the paint is, that’s all…wasn’t really complaining and I’m happy to wait lol

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Well, from what I have been reading, you are probably one of the most unlucky people. Not only have you chosen an individual color, which probably takes more time, but on top of that, it's a special type of individual color, a frozen one...
My guess, they will make'em in batches, all Dravit Greys together, all Aventurine Reds together, and also your Portimao Frozen Blue in one batch. Question is, which color will come first...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, from what I have been reading, you are probably one of the most unlucky people. Not only have you chosen an individual color, which probably takes more time, but on top of that, it's a special type of individual color, a frozen one...
My guess, they will make'em in batches, all Dravit Greys together, all Aventurine Reds together, and also your Portimao Frozen Blue in one batch. Question is, which color will come first...
So wouldn’t this mean if you were on the tail end of a batch you could be moved up in theory?

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Theoretically yes. If there's a very rich @sshole who insists at BMW to have the fully loaded i4 M50 for his son as soon as possible, the batch with that color could be moved forward in line 😜

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does this mean that BMW produces all cars with "regular" color first and then starts production of those with individual color in the end .... Then disregard order dates, disregard waiting lists and only make production as they feel like it .. .. sounds weird.
I can understand that they pick up what color to use day by day, but that does not lead to months of delays ...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The production line video I was watching showed sequential cars in the assembly line being painted different colors. I kept wondering how they control for overspray as close as the chassis seemed to be when being painted.
I wonder how close to reality the production launch videos are!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Some time ago someone posted a video of the Munich production line. In the paint shop they were painting at the same time three cars of different colors.

If I understand the video they could paint groups of color orders

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
According to the planned deliveries of members... I have nothing to conclude 😅

View attachment 5052
What's the source of this graph?
I doubt this graph very much... Besides, there are 2 colors missing in the legend, there's no Tanzanite Blue, and no Uni Black. And why would Skyscraper Grey and Brooklyn Grey be taken together, they are two different colors... hence my suspicion...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wonder how close to reality the production launch videos are!
pretty accurate based on the tours I've been on at BMW Plant Munich. It's awesome to see in the flesh.

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
My dealer didn’t say anything about that :)
I even taught them that choosing the frozen color results in loosing auto-lane changing capability. It’s decoded out, but you can always decode that back. It’s pretty much a useless feature which I don’t really use on my current X5.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What's the source of this graph?
I doubt this graph very much... Besides, there are 2 colors missing in the legend, there's no Tanzanite Blue, and no Uni Black. And why would Skyscraper Grey and Brooklyn Grey be taken together, they are two different colors... hence my suspicion...
a forum

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
pretty accurate based on the tours I've been on at BMW Plant Munich. It's awesome to see in the flesh.
the videos of the factory had amazed me!

but I don't know if they filmed a normal day, or if they varied the colors to make it prettier

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought the video was awesome enough. Even my wife - who is about ready to send me to the garage until 2023 if I use the letters BMW, i4, or M50 in a sentence again - found the video fascinating.

Obsession is such lonely existence.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
366 Posts
Does this mean that BMW produces all cars with "regular" color first and then starts production of those with individual color in the end .... Then disregard order dates, disregard waiting lists and only make production as they feel like it .. .. sounds weird.
I can understand that they pick up what color to use day by day, but that does not lead to months of delays ...
Lucid is doing exactly that same thing. Those that ordered red Lucid’s were dropped to the end of the line, regardless of their reservation date.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts