BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does this mean that BMW produces all cars with "regular" color first and then starts production of those with individual color in the end .... Then disregard order dates, disregard waiting lists and only make production as they feel like it .. .. sounds weird.
I can understand that they pick up what color to use day by day, but that does not lead to months of delays ...
I have no idea how they plan or work it, but regardless of what model you’re ordering there is 10-12 weeks at least added to the lead time for individual colours. Thats across all models not just the i4

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have no idea how they plan or work it, but regardless of what model you’re ordering there is 10-12 weeks at least added to the lead time for individual colours. Thats across all models not just the i4

It would have been nice if someone could document this ... I just can not believe this is true. Dravit gray, Frozen Portimao, Aventurine Red and San Remo Green are individual colors that have been in the configurator all along. There was nothing written about it being longer delivery time if you choose these colors. Sellers in Norway have not mentioned it either. When I asked my salesman about this, he shook his head and said they had not received any indications about this from BMW. (He also followed various i4 forums on the internet and said there were a lot of things written there that were rumors and not correct:eek:.......which was shocking....:oops:😂🤣)
But, it will eventually open up to be able to choose many more individual colors and so on. If you choose one of these, it will lead to a longer delivery time. Could there be any misunderstandings due to this?

·
Registered
125 Posts
It would have been nice if someone could document this ... I just can not believe this is true. Dravit gray, Frozen Portimao, Aventurine Red and San Remo Green are individual colors that have been in the configurator all along. There was nothing written about it being longer delivery time if you choose these colors. Sellers in Norway have not mentioned it either. When I asked my salesman about this, he shook his head and said they had not received any indications about this from BMW. (He also followed various i4 forums on the internet and said there were a lot of things written there that were rumors and not correct:eek:.......which was shocking....:oops:😂🤣)
But, it will eventually open up to be able to choose many more individual colors and so on. If you choose one of these, it will lead to a longer delivery time. Could there be any misunderstandings due to this?
Third paragraph in this article from the BMW Press group.
Cars as colourful as life

San Remo Green is not individual, Tanzanite Blue, Dravit Grey, Aventurine Red & Frozen Portimao Blue are

·
Registered
103 Posts
Third paragraph in this article from the BMW Press group.
Cars as colourful as life

San Remo Green is not individual, Tanzanite Blue, Dravit Grey, Aventurine Red & Frozen Portimao Blue are
I still think this does not apply to the colors that are in the i4 configurator. It will later be opened for more individual colors for i4. These are probably the ones referred to in this article.
"The lead time for special finishes in a preferred Individual color is about ten weeks. Customers can even create their own colors, which will be specially mixed and used on their car only."
But, we'll see how it goes
Yep, I was wrong. It's Tanzanite and not San Remo...🤭

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dealer didn’t say anything about that :)
I even taught them that choosing the frozen color results in loosing auto-lane changing capability. It’s decoded out, but you can always decode that back. It’s pretty much a useless feature which I don’t really use on my current X5.
Is this true for colors in the configurator? I don't see 8TR on my build sheet, which is what I would expect if they disabled it. Or.. is the lane change assist even offered on the 3 series in many markets? It is not enabled on my m340i but I was able to code it. It is enabled on my wife's m550.

·
Registered
420i Grand Coupe --> i4 eDrive 40
52 Posts
Well, from what I have been reading, you are probably one of the most unlucky people. Not only have you chosen an individual color, which probably takes more time, but on top of that, it's a special type of individual color, a frozen one...
My guess, they will make'em in batches, all Dravit Greys together, all Aventurine Reds together, and also your Portimao Frozen Blue in one batch. Question is, which color will come first...
They need to hurry, when the winter is over they can only put frozen colors on next winter and even then, it might just be too warm due to climate change... (and the main reason for climate change is the lack of BMW EV's zooming around of course :)), call it catch 22..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My dealer didn’t say anything about that :)
I even taught them that choosing the frozen color results in loosing auto-lane changing capability. It’s decoded out, but you can always decode that back. It’s pretty much a useless feature which I don’t really use on my current X5.
I don’t know this, I wonder why they do that for frozen colors? How easy is it to decode it back?

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
33 Posts
I don’t know this, I wonder why they do that for frozen colors? How easy is it to decode it back?
Its because the color is not certified for radars. Its just too expensive for bmw given these colors are barely bought.
To code it back, you just need to VO code the 8TR code.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Its because the color is not certified for radars. Its just too expensive for bmw given these colors are barely bought.
To code it back, you just need to VO code the 8TR code.
Not sure what this means, how is it done? I’d like to do that…

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I placed my order a few months ago back here in the US- and today after visiting my dealership today, I was informed that because of this special color, even with my pre-order, the M50 would arrive likely by the end of summer or closer to fall.

Has anybody else gotten any updates from their dealer or know if this is in fact accurate?
Hi,

I pre-ordered June 2, 2021.
I formally placed my order Nov. 22 and got my build information Dec. 23.

Edited:

I ordered a Tanzanite M50.
My scheduled build is to week 21 (May 23) and if it takes 1-2 weeks to build + 30-45 days to make it to the west coast and clear customs, I'm looking at first week of July as the earliest possible date for my car. That assumes no issues.

My build has been accepted by the factory (all options and accessory choices are valid).

Davit, Tanzanite and Frozen Portimao are all listed as "could extend build time by up to 10 weeks". These are all individual colors. Interesting that Aventurine red has the cost but not the delay notice.

The timing makes sense based on my car.
I was first in the dealership with a pre-order deposit. The first on the list to get an order submitted but a late delivery. If you add 10 weeks to an early build of lets say Feb or early March, that pushes the production date into May.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi. Where are the "could extend build time by up to 10 weeks"?
In the color selection phase when you are building, there is a red dot and the text "Availability Information ?".

Hover over the "?".

"BMW Individual paint requires special consideration. Vehicle production could extend build time up to 10 weeks from date the dealer confirms the order. Please discuss this customized vehicle with preferred BMW dealer."

According to what I have been told "individual" cars won't start production until after March. So if you ordered an individual color, don't count on anything but a late spring or early summer delivery.

If you look at the distribution chart early in the thread, you will see no Frozen or Davit cars before June. Add my Tanzanite to the mix and it's a pretty solid conclusion that US individual cars don't arrive until late spring or early summer. That is even if you got your pre-order deposit in early like I did.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

·
928 Posts
If you look at the distribution chart early in the thread, you will see no Frozen or Davit cars before June. Add my Tanzanite to the mix and it's a pretty solid conclusion that US individual cars don't arrive until late spring or early summer. That is even if you got your pre-order deposit in early like I did.
Are you talking about this?
Rectangle Slope Organism Plot Font

But I've said it before: I don't trust this graph?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe this only applies in the US. Dont have any red dot and the text "Availability Information" in the bilding configurator in Norway. BMW Norway has not heard of this either.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe this only applies in the US. Dont have any red dot and the text "Availability Information" in the bilding configurator in Norway. BMW Norway has not heard of this either.
I guess the US website details everything that add delay.

Don't know why it's not on the other sites.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For what it's worth my Tanzanite Blue II (individual color) has a week 16 build assigned (mid April). So definitely not a 10-week addition.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So the people seeing a Tanzanite car with early build dates, where are you located?
Are you in the US?

Also are the cars e40 or M50 and what options?

My car is a M50 build with all options except ventilated seats and exterior carbon.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts