BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Since 1988 I had 10 company cars. The BMW i4 M50 will be n°11.
I can say, I always made a little progress in power....until now :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 2787 View attachment 2787

BTW: the pictures are taken from the internet. They are not my actual cars. The colors are correct though.
It's crazy how Opel was a popular brand back in the days, and now you never see them anymore.

You will have a hard time taking a similar power leap after the M50 😆

·
Registered
550 Posts
View attachment 2789 View attachment 2789

BTW: the pictures are taken from the internet. They are not my actual cars. The colors are correct though.
190hp => 544 hp = +186%
190hp => 476 hp (sport not boost) = +150%
190hp/1500kg => 476hp / 2200kg = +71%

horses are vicious animals

·
Registered
37 Posts
View attachment 2789 View attachment 2789

Please excuse my American ignorance but I have a random question for my friends in Europe (and perhaps others parts of the world). Over the last few months I have read that several of you are getting "Company cars" or are sending in orders to leasing companies. The way people talk about it, it makes it seem like this is such a normal thing.

Maybe I am missing something but this concept is quite foreign to me. Would anyone be able to explain it to me?

When I think lease, I think of a lease straight from BMW. Also, is it common for companies to offer vehicles? Where do I sign up?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Please excuse my American ignorance but I have a random question for my friends in Europe (and perhaps others parts of the world). Over the last few months I have read that several of you are getting "Company cars" or are sending in orders to leasing companies. The way people talk about it, it makes it seem like this is such a normal thing.

Maybe I am missing something but this concept is quite foreign to me. Would anyone be able to explain it to me?

When I think lease, I think of a lease straight from BMW. Also, is it common for companies to offer vehicles? Where do I sign up?
It is not as frequent as that! Company cars (often for the management and the salesmen) are very often luxury sedans and very often BMW. The rest (the majority) of the people do long-term lease of much cheaper cars.

In my case: it's a company car (my company), I save #30% compared to a private purchase (amortization).

·
Registered
22 Posts
In Belgium it's quite common. A company car is part of the salary package. You don't have to be a sales person anymore nowadays. Giving a company car is cheaper than to give more salary

For me : I'm working n the IT sector and we have a company of over 8000 employees. I guess 80% or even more of them are having company cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In Belgium it's quite common. A company car is part of the salary package. You don't have to be a sales person anymore nowadays. Giving a company car is cheaper than to give more salary

For me : I'm working n the IT sector and we have a company of over 8000 employees. I guess 80% or even more of them are having company cars.
Even in other sectors, a company car is a really common thing for employees here :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
In my case, I started as a field tech, so I had a company car. But as you can see, in the beginning, they were always white because the company logo was put on (with a sticker). They also had to be Opel because the Financial directors' brother-in-law worked at Opel (jeez). Later on, I got a little bit more responsibilities, so I was allowed a car with a different color. Red in this case. The company logo didn't have to be on it anymore. From 1998 till 2000 I went to the US and there they didn't want to give me a car even though I worked for the same company. So I had to buy my own car, first an old Ford Tempo, with a broken airco (can you imagine in SoCal (!?!)), and then a crappy VW Jetta, made in Mexico (I walked around with a big screwdriver in my pocket for both locks were broken).
Anyway, when I came back to Belgium, the way was open for other models (still Opel), and only starting from around 2005 we were allowed to choose other brands. Since 2002 I didn't go to any customers anymore but I still had the right to a company car, even though I'm not a manager. And as you can see, they became nicer and nicer. And it only costs me a minor fee of €100 (til 2018 it was €120) for driving it privately (errands, evenings, vacations...) in the whole of Europe, with gas card, all expenses included (insurance, maintenance, tires...). Just in case of an accident, when it's my fault, I have to pay €125.
Cool, isn't it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my case, I started as a field tech, so I had a company car. But as you can see, in the beginning, they were always white because the company logo was put on (with a sticker). They also had to be Opel because the Financial directors' brother-in-law worked at Opel (jeez). Later on, I got a little bit more responsibilities, so I was allowed a car with a different color. Red in this case. The company logo didn't have to be on it anymore. From 1998 till 2000 I went to the US and there they didn't want to give me a car even though I worked for the same company. So I had to buy my own car, first an old Ford Tempo, with a broken airco (can you imagine in SoCal (!?!)), and then a crappy VW Jetta, made in Mexico (I walked around with a big screwdriver in my pocket for both locks were broken).
Anyway, when I came back to Belgium, the way was open for other models (still Opel), and only starting from around 2005 we were allowed to choose other brands. Since 2002 I didn't go to any customers anymore but I still had the right to a company car, even though I'm not a manager. And as you can see, they became nicer and nicer. And it only costs me a minor fee of €100 (til 2018 it was €120) for driving it privately (errands, evenings, vacations...) in the whole of Europe, with gas card, all expenses included (insurance, maintenance, tires...). Just in case of an accident, when it's my fault, I have to pay €125.
Cool, isn't it?
In the US if we use our car for the job the company pays us mileage, or else we can deduct it from our taxes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So that's why there are so many belgians ordering these cars.. I mean it's nice but it also kind of sucks, because you wind up with these bland cars promoting corporate values and sustainability. Even if they are nice.
In Norway you get taxed very heavily for using a company car on your spare time, so almost noone does it. It would cost the company more than what it would be worth for you.
But we don't have any taxes on EVs, so we all save a bunch of money over the ICE variants. Very strange to see a company car for me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In the US if we use our car for the job the company pays us mileage, or else we can deduct it from our taxes.
That is also a possibility here in Belgium. Or your train tickets are reimbursed. Instead of a company car, you can even have a company bicycle or both...
Lots of possibilities here :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Taxes.
you have to laugh to keep from crying
My dear @gsbaker , there's nothing funny about taxes...certainly not here in Belgium...
What's the tax rate in the state you're living in? 7%? 8, or perhaps 9%?
On luxury things (and a car is a luxury thing), we pay (make sure you're seated) 21% taxes !!!!
Do you realize that 55% of my salary goes to the state (taxes, sosec, blablabla...) ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you all for your responses! It's so fascinating to learn about this. Before asking, my assumption was that perhaps there were certain companies or sectors offering company cars as a perk over increased salary. Thank you for the explanations. I learn so much on this forum!

Quick shout to to @Mycroft for the chart!😀

·
Registered
68 Posts
My dear @gsbaker , there's nothing funny about taxes...certainly not here in Belgium...
What's the tax rate in the state you're living in? 7%? 8, or perhaps 9%?
On luxury things (and a car is a luxury thing), we pay (make sure you're seated) 21% taxes !!!!
Do you realize that 55% of my salary goes to the state (taxes, sosec, blablabla...) ?
That’s crazy.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts