BMW i4 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haha I invite all Americans to come visit Norway. You’ll get a heart attack from all the taxes.
I would definitely take you up on your offer to visit Norway, but to take in the culture, not for the heart attack.

No need to travel that far for a heart attack. We're doing just fine at home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My dear @gsbaker , there's nothing funny about taxes...certainly not here in Belgium...
What's the tax rate in the state you're living in? 7%? 8, or perhaps 9%?
On luxury things (and a car is a luxury thing), we pay (make sure you're seated) 21% taxes !!!!
Do you realize that 55% of my salary goes to the state (taxes, sosec, blablabla...) ?
My dear @gsbaker , there's nothing funny about taxes...certainly not here in Belgium...
On luxury things (and a car is a luxury thing), we pay (make sure you're seated) 21% taxes !!!!
Do you realize that 55% of my salary goes to the state (taxes, sosec, blablabla...) ?
Hi JST1963,

I meant no offense, that is just an old saying, a sort of dark humor, like laughing at your own death.

I remember many years ago hearing about taxes being some 60% in Europe and I was dismayed.

I spend time in three states and have considered buying my car in all three.

The state and local sales taxes on cars are about 11% in CA, and there is/ was a state rebate of $1500.

NY has a 4% car tax and $500 rebate on cars costing > $42000.

NC has a 3% car tax and no rebate.

You also pay the tax again if you move a car to another state, which you can avoid when buying a car and immediately moving it to the other state.

Many other taxes are hidden, so are rates are much higher than they look.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi JST1963,
I meant no offense, that is just an old saying, a sort of dark humor, like laughing at your own death.
No harm done, dude, In fact, I was a bit sarcastic but also to have some fun. So don't worry, I have a thick skin :whistle:
And I do know a bit about the US taxes. I lived in Ontario CA for 2 years and 2 months. But that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
270 Posts
0% income tax rate in Texas, and I pay about 23% federal income tax. On the other hand, we pay for our own health care, our minimum salary is $7.50/hour ($2.50 in the job gives access to tips), minimum of 2 weeks paid holidays per year. Great place if you are rich, sucks if you are poor.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Haha, Norwegian cuisine isn’t really world famous. But what we are actually famous for, is that my city, Bergen, has the highest concentration of electric cars worldwide. I’m sure Americans would think it’s odd to drive here, feels like 50% of cars are Leafs or Tesla.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Haha, Norwegian cuisine isn’t really world famous. But what we are actually famous for, is that my city, Bergen, has the highest concentration of electric cars worldwide. I’m sure Americans would think it’s odd to drive here, feels like 50% of cars are Leafs or Tesla.
Yes indeed, it would feel strange. Here, 40% of the vehicles are giant pick-up trucks (so-called "full-size"), 30% are SUVs, and the rest are actual cars. And 1% Teslas, I never saw a Leaf, and I think I saw one Mach-E to date.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes indeed, it would feel strange. Here, 40% of the vehicles are giant pick-up trucks (so-called "full-size"), 30% are SUVs, and the rest are actual cars. And 1% Teslas, I never saw a Leaf, and I think I saw one Mach-E to date.
That's because until now, nobody really cared about climate and stuff. All these pickups and SUVs, they all have huge engines, V6's, V8's.... that drink gasoline as if it was water. Thick black smoke coming out of their tailpipes? Wow, that's so cool... NO, IT's NOT!!!
Have a look at those shows on Discovery, where people pimp their trucks and then go for a test ride... the cars and trucks look great, but what they leave behind 😡
When I lived there, gas cost $1 for a gallon, while here in Belgium, it was still €1 per liter (1 dollar was at that time 80 euro cents). So that's almost 4 times as much in Europe compared to the US.
That's because the US never touched their own oil reserves. They got it from the Middle East (they still do).
Now, with Obama and Biden (euh, I'm not playing this political) things start to change, thank God.
No offense to you Americans here, since you all chose for an EV, hehehe...

·
Registered
MB GLA
147 Posts
Norway has the most concentration of EV in the world. The sales of EV represent over 80% of all the sales in the country!! Congratulations Norway. (y) (y)(y)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Would LOVE to visit Norway. Such a beautiful country. Would love to drive your ocean road...
Hmmm.... driving up to Norway....now that's an idea....
We can stay a night in The Netherlands (we love The Netherlands) where I can charge my M50 overnight), and continue...
Something to think about :cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
In San Francisco you now see a tesla every minute, also in New York. Even in western NC they appear every day.

I used to want one, until I saw what a beautiful EV looks like.

·
Registered
525 Posts
In Athens, Greece ...unicorns are more common the EVs. Also ...Centaurs because...you know...it's Greece!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Actually, people might not be so much into the electric vehicles just yet but there is a buzz about them. Government made an announcement for the end of sales of ICE by 2030 and there are TV adv. about charging networks that are expanding.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmmm.... driving up to Norway....now that's an idea....
We can stay a night in The Netherlands (we love The Netherlands) where I can charge my M50 overnight), and continue...
Something to think about :cool:
Absolutely! My best friend lives in Eindhoven, I promised her I would visit next time I go to Europe, and frankly, multi-country road trips are so easy in Europe, with so many things to see, so much different cultures to experience! You guys are so lucky!

·
Registered
270 Posts
In San Francisco you now see a tesla every minute, also in New York. Even in western NC they appear every day.

I used to want one, until I saw what a beautiful EV looks like.
We do start seeing Tesla's, may be one or two per trip. Note that there is NO non-Tesla DC charging station and only 9 Tesla Super Chargers in the half of big-ass Texas that is south of San Antonio. There is ONE non-Tesla 150kW+ DC charging station in San Antonio, a city of 1.2M inhabitants. Yes, we live in the dark ages...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Knowledgeable salesman: ".....and that's what all the buttons are for."
Drunk/high customer, taking a moment to process the information: " Which button do I press to join with other bmw's to form a giant robot?"

81 - 100 of 119 Posts