BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's hope he did a great job composing that fake engine sound. First video's didn't convince yet.

Ordered an I440 in Brooklyn Grey. Will be my new lease car replacing a Mercedes C300de.

Almost ordered a Polestar 2, but couldn't digest that ugly trunk :p

Registered
Let's hope he did a great job composing that fake engine sound. First video's didn't convince yet.

Ordered an I440 in Brooklyn Grey. Will be my new lease car replacing a Mercedes C300de.

Almost ordered a Polestar 2, but couldn't digest that ugly trunk :p
Tested the Polestar to before ordering my i4. A little detail about the polestar really annoyed me: the artificial sound of the turning indicator. 馃槱 Sounded like a broken speaker!
I hope Hans Zimmer created a better sound for the I4.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, already forgot about that one.

After the test drive I asked the Polestar guy what was wrong with the sound. He said the sound refers to dripping water. Right...

Registered
I downloaded all his albums and did a Hans Zimmer Marathon. Was struggling to stay awake a bit. Could be dangerous while driving. His music is probably easier to digest when accompanied by a good movie.

Welcome to the forum Tumi, good to see another neighbour. I can feel a Benelux i4 owners meeting coming up. Open to all nationalities of course.

Registered
I wouldn't pay 212鈧 to Zimmer for sounds, and if some are included I will mute them permanently.
About artificial sounds in general I'm totally against them.
They existed before EVs especially in BMW I think, because they didn't like how some of their engines were sounded and they put in the speakers the sound of a V8 or a V12, (which by the way is a form of cheating.)

I understand that other than the "aesthetic" there are at least 2 arguments in favour.
First as an indication of how fast you are going (in case you don't know how to read ...numbers or you have your eyes closed) and Second as a form of transition from the roars of fossil cars to silence,
(although I don't remember cars to have recorded ...neighs from horses during the previous transition from carriages. )

Registered
In the Netherlands it is standard equipment on the M50, so I will be getting it. If I would have to pay additional 200 euro鈥檚 for it, I think I would still do it, out of curiosity.

I once used the BimmerCode app to silence the artificial sounds in my 330i. The car was silent, in all drive modes. I listened to the silence for 2 weeks and thought it was boring. So I re-activated it. And never turned it off again.

More and more we live in a virtual world nowadays. And on many occasions we embrace it. In corana time for instance. A Teams meeting is not the real thing and still we have learned to appreciate it as a great surrogate for real face to face meetings. And how many of us have already ordered their copy of the i4, with nothing else to go on than a virtual configurator?

So virtual is not always a bad thing. I think I will enjoy the sci-fi sounds of the i4 every now and then. And when I don鈥檛 need it I will simply turn it off. I would like to see you try that in the world of very real but sometimes fatiguing exhaust sounds.

Virtual is our new reality.
Now that I think of it I might even change my forum name to something virtual like 鈥淟uke Skywalker鈥. Hope it鈥檚 not taken yet by the real Luke.

Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
I wouldn't pay 212鈧 to Zimmer for sounds, and if some are included I will mute them permanently.
About artificial sounds in general I'm totally against them.
They existed before EVs especially in BMW I think, because they didn't like how some of their engines were sounded and they put in the speakers the sound of a V8 or a V12, (which by the way is a form of cheating.)

I understand that other than the "aesthetic" there are at least 2 arguments in favour.
First as an indication of how fast you are going (in case you don't know how to read ...numbers or you have your eyes closed) and Second as a form of transition from the roars of fossil cars to silence,
(although I don't remember cars to have recorded ...neighs from horses during the previous transition from carriages. )
I test drove the model 3, model s and Etron (this last one a couple of days) and for most driving I think the silent option is the most comfortable.

While accelerating fast you seem to miss something and you end up hearing the electric motor winning - some say vaccum cleaner sound and is a little bit of that.

I think on occasional drag accelerations it would be much more engaging experience. If for example only activates in sport mode would be ok , as you switch to confort after

Registered
In the Netherlands it is standard equipment on the M50, so I will be getting it. If I would have to pay additional 200 euro鈥檚 for it, I think I would still do it, out of curiosity.

I once used the BimmerCode app to silence the artificial sounds in my 330i. The car was silent, in all drive modes. I listened to the silence for 2 weeks and thought it was boring. So I re-activated it. And never turned it off again.

More and more we live in a virtual world nowadays. And on many occasions we embrace it. In corana time for instance. A Teams meeting is not the real thing and still we have learned to appreciate it as a great surrogate for real face to face meetings. And how many of us have already ordered their copy of the i4, with nothing else to go on than a virtual configurator?

So virtual is not always a bad thing. I think I will enjoy the sci-fi sounds of the i4 every now and then. And when I don鈥檛 need it I will simply turn it off. I would like to see you try that in the world of very real but sometimes fatiguing exhaust sounds.

Virtual is our new reality.
Now that I think of it I might even change my forum name to something virtual like 鈥淟uke Skywalker鈥. Hope it鈥檚 not taken yet by the real Luke.
I鈥檓 not sure how BMW may progress on this but it may add the possibility to add the sounds later for the e40 via the connected services app. The Audi etron has the possibility to add matrix lights and park assist for example OTA, and even has something like 1鈧 / 1 month trial available.

Registered
Still, I will skip it.
I imagine they could later add many different kind of sounds like, imagine the jaws theme going faster the faster you go. So not frequency but tempo.
For me It's a gimmick.

It's similar on what happened with ringtones only worst.
Because ringtones are for a few seconds and eventually stop.
Personally I couldn't stand a long trip with fake motor sounds. Better I listen to music if I'm bored.

Registered
Still, I will skip it.
I imagine they could later add many different kind of sounds like, imagine the jaws theme going faster the faster you go. So not frequency but tempo.
For me It's a gimmick.

It's similar on what happened with ringtones only worst.
Because ringtones are for a few seconds and eventually stop.
Personally I couldn't stand a long trip with fake motor sounds. Better I listen to music if I'm bored.
You touch on a very good point - listen to music without engine noise would sound much better on trips, short or long. Specially with the hk system

Registered
Here's another video with a few things to offer.
  • First a cabin's aura comparison between a Merc and a BMW.
  • Second at the beginning of the video you can here the ico-moronic sound, which literally gave me bad goosebumps and hated to hear after the Merc. Again the sounds at 3:44
  • And what is this crap like ...it's changing gears?!
  • Third Assisted view on the iX3 it's a joke. It's like a "graphic" to fill the middle of the screen.

Registered
Here some moronic ,cough cough I mean, iconic BMW sounds from Bjorn Nyland driving the iX

SPOILER ALERT: He doesn't like them either!
He talks of the i4 has it already has driven it at around 2:50.

At around 3:10 hilarious the guy that makes the sounds鈥 Hans, a typical German name :)

he also praises the sound insulation even without acoustic glass so it should be good oni4 as well (Same engines).

Registered
I know Shepard's effect for years but being totally against the moronic sounds I passed-by posting about it.

It's a cognitive trick that fools you that a tone always rise. Zimmer used it as the Joker theme in the dark knight. It's actually 2 tones one ascending while the other descending indefinitely.

That's the reason because I (and probably others) hear the moronic sounds to change gears.

Here some reading about it:

And here an example (Lower the Volume of your Speakers)

Imagine it with more Bass and Faster!
Sounds familiar? :p

Registered
I know Shepard's effect for years but being totally against the moronic sounds I passed-by posting about it.

It's a cognitive trick that fools you that a tone always rise. Zimmer used it as the Joker theme in the dark knight. It's actually 2 tones one ascending while the other descending indefinitely.

That's the reason because I (and probably others) hear the moronic sounds to change gears.

Here some reading about it:

And here an example (Lower the Volume of your Speakers)

Imagine it with more Bass and Faster!
Sounds familiar? :p
Very interesting reading and it explains the BMW sounds! It鈥檚 a batmobile, so you should take it in black :)

Registered
My spouse insists on black. She says never gets old for cars. I'm thinking of it the last few days but originally I was going for the aventurine red!

So maybe ...Spiderman's car?
Although I think Spidy would have a frozen portimao blue with red interior!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.