BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I test drove the eDrive40, I found it very hard to modulate braking. I have no issues with the regenerative braking (been driving a Tesla for 3 years), but the brake pedal’s bite is hard to estimate. Just a little touch of the brake pedal and the bite point comes super early and jolts the whole car. Did anyone else felt this?

Having said that, I also test drove the M50 at another dealership couple days later and found it to be less of an issue. I’m not sure if I just got better at modulating the i4 brakes, or if the brakes were any different between the 40 and M50?

I ordered the 40 but the grabby brakes make it really hard to drive in stop and go traffic and that really concerns me…

· Registered
2,246 Posts
You can adjust the Regen.
The pedal isn't actually connected to anything but a wire. The computer decides how much Regen vs real brakes.

Waiting on my Tanzanite M50!

Reactions: kw118

· Registered
129 Posts
If you still have problems with this next time you drive it, see if you like the one-pedal driving mode. Knock the shifter sideways into "B", and then you simply let off the accelerator and the car slows all the way to a stop. You only touch the brake pedal if you need to stop in a hurry.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you still have problems with this next time you drive it, see if you like the one-pedal driving mode. Knock the shifter sideways into "B", and then you simply let off the accelerator and the car slows all the way to a stop. You only touch the brake pedal if you need to stop in a hurry.
Good point I forgot to try B mode, will try it out next time

· Registered
2,246 Posts
So if I were to set the regen to high, the brake pedal would be less grabby?
Probably, but that's just "B" mode.
I don't have a car to test and tell you.

Waiting on my Tanzanite M50!

2,267 Posts
When I test drove the eDrive40, I found it very hard to modulate braking. I have no issues with the regenerative braking (been driving a Tesla for 3 years), but the brake pedal’s bite is hard to estimate. Just a little touch of the brake pedal and the bite point comes super early and jolts the whole car. Did anyone else felt this?

Having said that, I also test drove the M50 at another dealership couple days later and found it to be less of an issue. I’m not sure if I just got better at modulating the i4 brakes, or if the brakes were any different between the 40 and M50?

I ordered the 40 but the grabby brakes make it really hard to drive in stop and go traffic and that really concerns me…
Did you have the 20" wheels on the M50? Maybe you had the bigger discs...

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the brakes were different, you just might have your explanation...
Technically shouldn’t the M sport brakes have more bite though? Kind of confused😅 although I suppose it could also be a difference in Regen setting. The first time I drove the 40 I was in a hurry and didn’t check the regen setting, the second time I drove the M50 I set that to high. But I totally forgot about B mode both times…

· Registered
970 Posts

I experienced the exact same behavior between e40 and m50 on back-to-back test drives. e40's brakes were much more touchy and harder to modulate. Both were driven in B-mode.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Same experience on the Mach-E, but the feeling faded away after a month and a half or so. Takes time to get used to then it feels like normal brakes again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.