BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has a reliable source that provides ground clearance for i440? As even at my dealership they do not have that figure - I have found just one website that says 12cm (and wanted to confirm on that)

·
Registered
103 Posts
According to this is 12,5 cm (or 12.4 if you do 4.9*2.54)

I've noticed that the regular version vs the M-sport have a significant difference in height (and in clearance?) when they are visualised in the configurator.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to this is 12,5 cm (or 12.4 if you do 4.9*2.54)

I've noticed that the regular version vs the M-sport have a significant difference in height (and in clearance?) when they are visualised in the configurator.
Yeah. - that is the one I have seen - I don’t think it’s reliable though- basing also on your observation on the hight, and for sure reading or hearing somewhere that it should be similar to 4GC or even better due to lack of muffler

·
Registered
180 Posts
What difference do you see?
The M50 is equipped with the adaptive suspension and is supposed to be 1 centimeter lower to the ground. But that may not be the same as ground clearance though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
40 (first photo) versus M50 (second photo)
The M50 is visibly 1 centimeter lower.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What difference do you see?
The M50 is equipped with the adaptive suspension and is supposed to be 1 centimeter lower to the ground. But that may not be the same as ground clearance though.
I know that I will get the i4/40 (for the range basically) but I haven't really decided if I will get the regular trim or the M-Sport.
So while I was checking these 2 configurations I made (in the configurator) and going back and forth between the 2 tabs in the browser, showing the cars from the same side angle, the M-sport is definitely lower!
You can't easily tell when there are side-by-side.
I think an animated GIF between them could show the (significant after you see it like I did) difference in height and I guess in ground clearance.

BTW in your 2 images the bottom car seems lower!!

[edit] Definitely is lower the bottom car! I put the 2 images in 2 different tabs, like in the configurator, and the switch between them shows a difference in height! It is the suspension. Seems like more than a cm but who knows.

·
Registered
180 Posts
40 (first photo) versus 40 with M Sport package (second photo).
In this case no difference in ride height.

The i40 idrive40 with M Sport package does not get the adaptive suspension as standard so the ride height is the same. Maybe this is different in your country or maybe you have ticked the option box for adaptive suspension?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just hope these impressions from the configurator are realistic.
In many photos that BMW used, mostly during the first formal presentation, the car seems to be a bit too high, especially at the rear...

The i4 M50 that I saw for real during a preview was even higher than the car in the picture below. The BMW genius explained that the car was still in transport mode. Hmmm, let's wait and see :sneaky:

·
Registered
180 Posts
what is more desirable for you
Depends a lot on where you live and the general condition of the roads. In Western Europe roads are generally pretty good. No problems whatsoever, not even with my MX-5 which has been lowered 3 cm's. So the minus 1cm of the M50 won't be a problem neither. So I like 'm low. But you might have very different considerations when living in Eastern Europe, Canada etc.

PS. Let's not forget that the M50 is a 4x4. So maybe it's supposed to be high 😳

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) I totally forgot the existence of that mode too!

Ragnerek, what is more desirable for you?
A lower ground clearance, so the car will look sportier and aerodynamics etc. etc.
OR a higher car which it will not ...hit its floor every chance it gets!
I live in a village area and my last 100m is gravel road ;) that should answer your question

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm curious about the impact of Adaptive Suspension with its three modes. Where does the suspension fall in terms of mode on an i4 eDrive40 without Adaptive Suspension? Does it fall in the Comfort zone, in the Sport zone or in some other zone?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Indeed the adaptive suspension is controlled by the ride modes. So there are 3 settings:
  1. Firm suspension which will be activated by sport or sport plus mode. Sport plus is called sport boost in the i4.
  2. More comfortable suspension which will be activated by eco pro or comfort mode.
  3. An adaptive damper setting where the car will continuously choose between firm or more comfortable suspension depending on the circumstances of your ride, activated by the adaptive mode.
And if you will there is a fourth setting which is the manual override than can be set in eco pro individual or sport individual. Here you can manually choose between either sporty or comfy suspension.

The comfy setting can be compared to the setup of i4's with the standard suspension.
None of these settings have anything to do with ride height. That is preset in your configuration, once your order is taken into production it can not be changed.

Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
It’s a pity that they didn’t put air suspension also in the front, so that the car could raise and lower as needed - as the etron or taycan. Maybe that will be an option for the i5 or upper segments in the future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s a pity that they didn’t put air suspension also in the front, so that the car could raise and lower as needed - as the etron or taycan. Maybe that will be an option for the i5 or upper segments in the future.
i don't agree at all - look at the prices of the two you mentioned - it is 2-3 orders of magnitude lower - plus a similar charging speed :) and better single range

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
All I’m saying is that it would have been nice to have that option. They put air suspension in the rear so they are half way there! Combined with the 4x4 it would be nice for gravel roads. And in the city for curbs and driveways it would be a nice addition.

Mercedes C class which is in the same car size of i4 has air suspension as an option.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If it works like my 5 series, it raises it based on the load. You can’t raise it manually of course, because then the car wouldn’t be level. The front is white constant, the back is where the extra passengers and weight go, so it makes a lot of sense. Or else the designers would have to make the suspension setup optimal for only one single load configuration. Ever tried driving a van without load in the back? Pretty awful stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts