BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...just to get an idea of the driver assistant pro and it's abilities, our dealership let me take out a new M550 with the full driver assistant Pro system. What I realized is that BWM isn't giving us in Canada the full package. For instance, traffic light recognition (or am I mistaken and pro doesn't have this?). Another is the adaptive matrix headlights. The sales person said it was a pretty easy hack to set the car to EU standards. Is that true and if it is, does anyone know how to do this in the i4?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Normally the "hacking" is done by using bimmercode. However the i4 is not represented yet on the site. So I think it is too eary to know what can be done.

But check the other models, and what can be changed for them. Im sure it will be the same for the i4.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've never investigated personal OBD solutions. Being a professional nerd, this really appeals. All I need is the support from BimmerCode and, oh yes, the car 😌

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normally the "hacking" is done by using bimmercode. However the i4 is not represented yet on the site. So I think it is too eary to know what can be done.

But check the other models, and what can be changed for them. Im sure it will be the same for the i4.
Thanks Inside...that's very helpful. The 4 series M4 is there...I hope the i4 will be too. I might play around with this with my mini but looking at the codes, they all have requirements like “Footwell Module” FRM2_R56" ...I not getting how exactly this works yet but will investigate further.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never investigated personal OBD solutions. Being a professional nerd, this really appeals. All I need is the support from BimmerCode and, oh yes, the car 😌
haha...come to Canada in a few months and you can set mine up for me!

·
Registered
183 Posts
These cars are just glorified computers. If the right nerd comes along, a lot can be done.

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
So...just to get an idea of the driver assistant pro and it's abilities, our dealership let me take out a new M550 with the full driver assistant Pro system. What I realized is that BWM isn't giving us in Canada the full package. For instance, traffic light recognition (or am I mistaken and pro doesn't have this?). Another is the adaptive matrix headlights. The sales person said it was a pretty easy hack to set the car to EU standards. Is that true and if it is, does anyone know how to do this in the i4?
Traffic light recognition is barely enabled anywhere… same as automatic speed adjustment, speed adjustment based on route and etc. i coded out all the geographic restrictions on my current car and all these feature work as expected :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Will this coding have any impact on the warranty? Like, if something breaks, will BMW say it is because of the coding?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Will this coding have any impact on the warranty? Like, if something breaks, will BMW say it is because of the coding?
"Shouldn't." This is all functionality that BMW has intentionally exposed and it's pretty benign (you're not tweaking anything that's core to the mechanics of the car, just options that aren't available through the UI). I don't know about EVs but I've seen plenty of ICE BMW owners run Bimmercode and later have warranty claims and none of their claims were affected by its use.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I assume its the sort of thing that dealers can do for you with their own service kit, so in that sense, they are 'legit' and nobody knows who made the changes. Proper hacking is a different story and I really can't see me wanting anybody interfering with my car's operating system at that sort of level! :oops:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used Bimmercode on my i3 using iCarPro for the plug in interface and it worked very well. The most important improvement was "maintain state of charge" with the range extender so that it was accessible any time, not just when the battery was almost gone. This is (was) available in Europe for range extender models but not in North America because of restrictions on EV designation for rebates. I also changed the mirror folding option and some other stuff including getting rid of the legal disclaimer every time the vehicle starts. I didn't change anything that would affect vehicle safety or could possibly affect warranty. BWW technicians have never noticed or mentioned the changes when it was in for annual service, though I wonder if I would have to reprogram it if the software was completely reloaded. I'm sure I will use it on my new i4 if there are some changes available that I want, that don't compromise safety, reliability or performance.

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
It “can” if bmw is able to prove the coding is the source of a failure. That’s basically impossible. They’ll have to admit their product is piece of sh then (I didn’t say so :) ).

also, bear in mind that all the coding is lost when a car is getting a new update either done by your dealer or via OTA. You’ll have to do coding again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts