BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Anyone has a description and maybe samples of what do we buy for €250 ;)
As BMW says blah blah great composer blah blah iconic sounds blah blah
I want to know what sounds and when ;)
And if it could be bought OTA later ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
For 250 euro's you can probably buy at least 25 of his cd's:

Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exactly:)
I understand that it is a hype stuff ;)
But wondering what is the difference between “iconic sounds” package and “no iconic sounds” package from a driver perspective 😂
As I would pay this €250 if for example that would include star wars X-wing sound or lightsaber sound for a mandatory pedestrian warning sound 😂

·
Registered
103 Posts
There is No Way in Hell I'll pay 250€ to Zimmer for ...sounds.

Also that guy was paid handsomely for making this TV advertisement with supercar blondie.

When John Williams puts the Jaws theme in the i4, then I will think about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
exactly:)
I understand that it is a hype stuff ;)
But wondering what is the difference between “iconic sounds” package and “no iconic sounds” package from a driver perspective 😂
As I would pay this €250 if for example that would include star wars X-wing sound or lightsaber sound for a mandatory pedestrian warning sound 😂
It is just the sound inside the cabin not the warning sound for pedestrians. It may be hype stuff, but the test car I drove (not i4) had it and I liked it very much. It does not really try to imitate a real engine sound but it seems to be cleverly adjusted to the cars drive train. I compared driving with and without the sound enabled and I found it very pleasant to have some audio feedback when accelerating. It is definitely much better than the V8 sound in the Mach E.

In the end I put it on the options list. I will see whether I will end up switching it off after a while. Of course my wife already told me it is a useless waste of money...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Iconic sounds is standard on both the M50 and eDrive40 here in Ireland. I’m surprised any market is charging extra for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Poland (and apparently in Germany as well) it costs around €250 (same money as induction phone charger (that at least is a prerequisite for Apple Carkey ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
This may give you a realistic first impression :eek:
I prefer watching STAR WARS with the sound turned on! So why not this?

Reactions: Buford T. Justice

·
Registered
25 Posts
This may give you a realistic first impression :eek:
I prefer watching STAR WARS with the sound turned on! So why not this?
I doubt that you can get an impression without trying it out. Remember it's while you are driving and the sound manages (cleverly?) to stay at the edge of your hearing.

Star Wars is probably a good point though; star ships which make noise in space are obviously bogus but most people take them for granted in sci-fi movies.

·
Registered
103 Posts
BTW Hans Zimmer doesn't know how to drive!!!
:p
He composed Driving Miss Daisy,
the drive (for Land Rover), the Days of Thunder (!) and the sounds of ...BMW.
Can you see the irony?
And don't forget ...Thelma and Louise!!!
:p :eek:

·
Registered
MB GLA
30 Posts
I doubt that you can get an impression without trying it out. Remember it's while you are driving and the sound manages (cleverly?) to stay at the edge of your hearing.

Star Wars is probably a good point though; star ships which make noise in space are obviously bogus but most people take them for granted in sci-fi movies.
Between you and me why not to get a real sport car sound like Porsche V8 GTS in M50 (interior only)?
I am pretty sure that many customers will like it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
These 2 videos have the same sounds which lead me to believe that this will be the "Iconic Sound". At least while accelerating. Not sure if there will be other sounds for different things such as backing up.

The all-new BMW i4. All you need to know.
Information about the sound starts at 5:06
The sound can be heard at 5:23

The Driving Sound of the first-ever electrified BMW M.
Sound can be heard at 1:35

Not sure if 250 is worth it. It reminds me of batman driving through Gotham City in in the Bat Pod from the Dark Knight. Interestingly enough, Hans Zimmer also worked on that film.
Sounds from the Bat Pod can be heard at 0:43, 1:08, 1:24, 2:02, 2:21, & 2:34.

One last interesting bit of info. According to this article, The Bat Pod sound was sound was taken from a Gen 1 Tesla Roadster!
Code:
As it turns out, the sound you hear from the Bat Pod in the movie as it zooms across the screen actually came from a first-generation Tesla Roadster.

·
Registered
Audi A5 2011
17 Posts
It is just the sound inside the cabin not the warning sound for pedestrians. It may be hype stuff, but the test car I drove (not i4) had it and I liked it very much. It does not really try to imitate a real engine sound but it seems to be cleverly adjusted to the cars drive train. I compared driving with and without the sound enabled and I found it very pleasant to have some audio feedback when accelerating. It is definitely much better than the V8 sound in the Mach E.

In the end I put it on the options list. I will see whether I will end up switching it off after a while. Of course my wife already told me it is a useless waste of money...
If the sounds are internal and only a virtual feedback then they're not worth any premium. Hope there are external safety sounds. Pedestrian sounds?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the sounds are internal and only a virtual feedback then they're not worth any premium. Hope there are external safety sounds. Pedestrian sounds?
For me they were. But my family is actually split on that: my son and I want them and my wife will turn them off. So best try them at the dealer's before buying. I would not have added them just based on the sound clips I heard.

External warning sound comes standard per my configurator; required by EU regulations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Waiting for someone doing a test of it in a press car
I suspect opinions will be divided.

For the iX3 23:49 - 24:30 (in German)

And BMW Press: "electric driving ... enhanced by acoustic feedback ... the sound providing a constant commentary on the driving situation ... acceleration, load changes or recuperation given a suitable acoustic accompaniment"

That worked out fine when I was driving. Or perhaps I was still missing the ICE experience :sneaky:

Still nothing I couldn't do without.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts