BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my dealer the day that the configurator went live. He told me he would be able to grab my configuration online, build it into their "order bank," and that he would email me a confirmation build as soon as my production number was assigned. He's on vacation this week (understandable) so I haven't been able to get an idea of when they expect production numbers to be assigned. Granted, I'm a little over-anxious about what the next 8-10 months will wind up looking like. I'm curious if anybody else has gotten an idea from their dealers about when we'll hear about next steps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I spoke with my dealer the day that the configurator went live. He told me he would be able to grab my configuration online, build it into their "order bank," and that he would email me a confirmation build as soon as my production number was assigned. He's on vacation this week (understandable) so I haven't been able to get an idea of when they expect production numbers to be assigned. Granted, I'm a little over-anxious about what the next 8-10 months will wind up looking like. I'm curious if anybody else has gotten an idea from their dealers about when we'll hear about next steps.
Mine said it would be a while yet and not to expect anything soon. He did say that they were told that all pre-orders will have their allocations in 2022.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just got my order banked. My dealer said when the US production slots are allotted next year they will be done in the order the preorders were made.

So you can rest easy over the week vacation.

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
10 Posts
yes, right now it's just an "order bank," but they took my info/deposit/spec sheet and once they open up 2022 slots that they will get me in asap and keep me updated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the general manager of my local bmw store reached out to me personally and confirmed my build that I did online , he has submitted the order , and now just awaiting a production number , he said in about a month he’ll have another update . I had to update my build a few times going back and forth on Brooklyn grey to san remo and now back to Brooklyn . I am happy with the general manager of the dealership reaching out to me personally

·
Registered
40 Posts
Official order place…… I switched to frozen blue at the last minute. Couldnt resist! And now the waiting continues :)
Congratulations🙂 And yes, it's going to be a looong winter😌
Frozen Portimao Blue is a very nice color. It is without a doubt the nicest color of them all. It just needs a little extra attention. Use the right washing products for frozen paint and it will work very well. Just remember of course to NEVER polish the car 😉
I have Portimao Blue Metallic on the order now but are still a bit back and forth about change it to Frozen.... The demo car that arrives in a few weeks at the BMW dealer just a few kilometers from where I live will have Frozen Portimao Blue. Then I can take a closer look at it(y)🤩

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I ask why you people are so excited about buying basically a BMW Gran Tuismo with electric bits bolted on, I went into a dealer today in the UK and looked at exactly what an i4 will look like. Very average in my opinion

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can I ask why you people are so excited about buying basically a BMW Gran Tuismo with electric bits bolted on, I went into a dealer today in the UK and looked at exactly what an i4 will look like. Very average in my opinion
Of course….. I can only speak for myself but I see it as the first real EV created by BMW. I am not a fan of Tesla (again, just my opinion and certainly not here to bash them or judge anyone else’s choice) and so the i4 M50i is pretty exciting.
The 3.6s 0-60 is also a huge draw. My 540i did 0-60 in 4.9s and it was wonderful to drive.

So that’s it in a nutshell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congratulations🙂 And yes, it's going to be a looong winter😌
Frozen Portimao Blue is a very nice color. It is without a doubt the nicest color of them all. It just needs a little extra attention. Use the right washing products for frozen paint and it will work very well. Just remember of course to NEVER polish the car 😉
I have Portimao Blue Metallic on the order now but are still a bit back and forth about change it to Frozen.... The demo car that arrives in a few weeks at the BMW dealer just a few kilometers from where I live will have Frozen Portimao Blue. Then I can take a closer look at it(y)🤩
its definitely something I’m nervous about but sometimes you just have to take a risk.
The dealer I go to has a frozen blue M5 coming in soon - looking forward to seeing that

·
Registered
2 Posts
Of course….. I can only speak for myself but I see it as the first real EV created by BMW. I am not a fan of Tesla (again, just my opinion and certainly not here to bash them or judge anyone else’s choice) and so the i4 M50i is pretty exciting.
The 3.6s 0-60 is also a huge draw. My 540i did 0-60 in 4.9s and it was wonderful to drive.

So that’s it in a nutshell.
But it's just a Grand Coupe I looked today, same grill, same door handles, same butt, even the wheels looked similar.
I just think it's a half baked effort to produce an electric vehicle and even call it an M car.
They have the iX there as well which actually looked like an EV

·
Registered
18 Posts
But it's just a Grand Coupe I looked today, same grill, same door handles, same butt, even the wheels looked similar.
I just think it's a half baked effort to produce an electric vehicle and even call it an M car.
Well the reviews to date all come to the opposite conclusion to you but the beauty of cars is that there’s an option for everyone.
I’m not a fan of vehicles having to look like an EV - in fact the i4 being ‘just a grand coupe’ is a huge draw for me. Though which GC pulls as quickly as the M50i or provides even remotely similar mpg?

Some people like HP sauce on their bacon butty, others Daddies sauce….. and some savages like ketchup. It’s no different with cars. I’m thankful the market is broad enough to appease almost everyone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well the reviews to date all come to the opposite conclusion to you but the beauty of cars is that there’s an option for everyone.
I’m not a fan of vehicles having to look like an EV - in fact the i4 being ‘just a grand coupe’ is a huge draw for me. Though which GC pulls as quickly as the M50i or provides even remotely similar mpg?

Some people like HP sauce on their bacon butty, others Daddies sauce….. and some savages like ketchup. It’s no different with cars. I’m thankful the market is broad enough to appease almost everyone.
In addition, by building the i4 on an established body and suspension, BMW saves us from being the guinea pigs for a new production type.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In addition, by building the i4 on an established body and suspension, BMW saves us from being the guinea pigs for a new production type.
Could not agree more with @gsbaker . Never buy the first year of a brand new clean sheet model of anything. Engineers are not perfect (I'm one and I speak from experience), a car is so complicated nowadays that it's impossible not to miss something, and don't forget that a clean sheet model also requires a clean sheet manufacturing line, with the possibility of repetitive defects or hidden defects undetectable until the product is in the hands of the customer. Believe me, I was elated when BMW announced that 90% of the body build is shared with the 4 GC, with only the battery pack and electrical motors the new stuff, and the heat pumps (the remaining high reliability risk mechanical element) is an evolution from the i3 and i8. And just to be sure, I waited until the "June 2022" delivery was sold out and put my deposit for a "Summer of 2022" model, i.e built 6 months + after the start of production late October 2021. Relatives of a colleague told me the BMW was quoting $8-9K to repair the heat pumps of their early model i3 which broke after the warranty period, so be afraid - be very afraid!

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
47 Posts
Have you ever driven a BEV? IMO that makes the drive far more exciting than even the exact same ICE vehicle. I'm currently on my 3rd BEV and would never buy another ICE vehicle for myself.

As to the aesthetics, I happen to think it's a particularly good looking vehicle in either iteration. Your 'average' may be someone else's beautiful. Your 'beautiful' may be someone else's average.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
47 Posts
I'm not even sure what that means. It used to mean 'ugly' because most EVs were ugly. Now we've got some utterly gorgeous BEVs from Audi, Porsche, BMW and others. So today, when someone says it looks like an EV, I have no idea what that even means. The variety in BEV looks are great, from boxy, to streamlined. So for me at least, 'looks like an EV' is a meaningless statement. Things have changed in the BEV world.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts