BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hi! San Antonio is a beautiful city!
@Pam S, yes, I love San Antonio, but I sure hope the charging infrastructure improves before I get my car. There is still no non-Tesla high-speed DC charger south of us, (only 5 Tesla stations for roughly the bottom half of Texas), one in town, and then one every 100-150 miles in each of the major highways going East, West and North.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Pam S, yes, I love San Antonio, but I sure hope the charging infrastructure improves before I get my car. There is still no non-Tesla high-speed DC charger south of us, (only 5 Tesla stations for roughly the bottom half of Texas), one in town, and then one every 100-150 miles in each of the major highways going East, West and North.
Ugh - having range anxiety detracts from enjoyment of the car. I’m fortunate to have a garage; I’ve already had a 240v line run out there. Just waiting for the BMW wall charger to become available. I think that many more (non-Tesla) charging stations will become available with the US interest in becoming more electric-friendly. Not everyone has a garage, and the inability to easily charge an EV is the biggest reason people aren’t buying in.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ugh - having range anxiety detracts from enjoyment of the car. I’m fortunate to have a garage; I’ve already had a 240v line run out there. Just waiting for the BMW wall charger to become available. I think that many more (non-Tesla) charging stations will become available with the US interest in becoming more electric-friendly. Not everyone has a garage, and the inability to easily charge an EV is the biggest reason people aren’t buying in.
With the I4 we should easily be able to jump between fast charges along the highways for long trips, and range 100 miles from home for day trips.

Of course, we will soon (5-10 years) see the day when gas stations will start to install fast chargers and pull out a couple of pumps.

These stations are ideally situated and already have the infrastructure to support chargers. I.e. electricity, rest rooms, and fast food.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I bought on Amazon a CHP-50, the 50 Amp J1772 charger from ChargePoint, for $600. I'm having it installed by a Master Electrician for $1 600 as it requires a new 240V-70A NEMA 14-50 outlet and dedicated wiring from my main 200A panel.

·
Registered
122 Posts
And I just had the Wallbox 48A charger installed last week in the garage. Happy with the work and install and can get the tax credit for this tax year!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
With the I4 we should easily be able to jump between fast charges along the highways for long trips, and range 100 miles from home for day trips.

Of course, we will soon (5-10 years) see the day when gas stations will start to install fast chargers and pull out a couple of pumps.

These stations are ideally situated and already have the infrastructure to support chargers. I.e. electricity, rest rooms, and fast food.
@gsbaker, the issue is for me to go anywhere, I have to rely on fast charger spaced 80-130 miles apart approximately; I agree that my future i4 M50 will have plenty of range to go from charger to charger, but I do worry that if, as some people have reported happens occasionally, ALL the chargers at one station are down, I would have to go to the next charging station and stretch the limit of my range. I was able to plan a route for my first trip from the BMW Performance center in Greer, SC (near their plant in Spartanburg, SC), where I'll pick up the car with BMW's "Performance Center delivery", to home in San Antonio Texas (1155 miles or 1860 km), with enough range to reach a 2nd station with 5% SOC if any of the stations where I plan to recharge is completely down; but that requires me to charge the car up to 98% at 2 points in the itinerary, assuming a range of 2.8 miles/kWh (221 Wh/km), which seems reasonable based on the YouTube real life range tests, but is far from ideal.

·
Registered
301 Posts
@gsbaker, the issue is for me to go anywhere, I have to rely on fast charger spaced 80-130 miles apart approximately; I agree that my future i4 M50 will have plenty of range to go from charger to charger, but I do worry that if, as some people have reported happens occasionally, ALL the chargers at one station are down, I would have to go to the next charging station and stretch the limit of my range. I was able to plan a route for my first trip from the BMW Performance center in Greer, SC (near their plant in Spartanburg, SC), where I'll pick up the car with BMW's "Performance Center delivery", to home in San Antonio Texas (1155 miles or 1860 km), with enough range to reach a 2nd station with 5% SOC if any of the stations where I plan to recharge is completely down; but that requires me to charge the car up to 98% at 2 points in the itinerary, assuming a range of 2.8 miles/kWh (221 Wh/km), which seems reasonable based on the YouTube real life range tests, but is far from ideal.
I looked at your route to Texas through LA or TN and both seem to have fast chargers at 50-75 mile intervals. If they are networked then you can be fairly well assured that they will be running. The worst is that you may have to wait an hour to get your turn.

Nevertheless, I respect your concern. You will have a wild ride for your first test drive.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I looked at your route to Texas through LA or TN and both seem to have fast chargers at 50-75 mile intervals. If they are networked then you can be fairly well assured that they will be running. The worst is that you may have to wait an hour to get your turn.

Nevertheless, I respect your concern. You will have a wild ride for your first test drive.
I'm going through New Orleans for a bit of R&R, and a destination charge. The worrisome stretches are from Auburn, to

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm going through New Orleans for a bit of R&R, and a destination charge. The worrisome stretches are from Auburn, to
Sorry, damn touch pad - worrisome stretches from Auburn, AL to Greenville, AL 94.2 miles, because if I can't re-charge in Greenville, the next one is in Mobile, AL at 118 miles, and from New Orleans, LA to Breaux Bridge, LA, 126 miles, because if I can't recharge in Breaux Bridge, the next one is in Sulphur, LA, 86 miles further. This is kind of a worst case planning, if the i4 M50 returns better efficiency at steady speed (I'm OK at running at the legal limit), then I can reduce the SOC a bit, and I'll continue monitoring the reliability of the EA network - to your point, it is possible that by next summer, the probability of all chargers being down in a location may be low enough not to have to plan to reach the next charging point as a contingency. But this research made me realize how much the South and South Eastern US are in infancy when it comes to DC charging.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sorry, damn touch pad - worrisome stretches from Auburn, AL to Greenville, AL 94.2 miles, because if I can't re-charge in Greenville, the next one is in Mobile, AL at 118 miles, and from New Orleans, LA to Breaux Bridge, LA, 126 miles, because if I can't recharge in Breaux Bridge, the next one is in Sulphur, LA, 86 miles further. This is kind of a worst case planning, if the i4 M50 returns better efficiency at steady speed (I'm OK at running at the legal limit), then I can reduce the SOC a bit, and I'll continue monitoring the reliability of the EA network - to your point, it is possible that by next summer, the probability of all chargers being down in a location may be low enough not to have to plan to reach the next charging point as a contingency. But this research made me realize how much the South and South Eastern US are in infancy when it comes to DC charging.
Going slow would be better for the shakedown drive and would give you better mileage. Will you have the HK sound system and relaxing music? Refer to the other thread on "what is the first song you will play?".

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Going slow would be better for the shakedown drive and would give you better mileage. Will you have the HK sound system and relaxing music? Refer to the other thread on "what is the first song you will play?".
@gsbaker, Yes sir, I do plan to set my advanced driver assist with braking and line guidance and speed limit, turn on the HK sound on Sirius Opera channel, and "laissez le bon temps rouler". Looking forward to that part, the only way to do long distances...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts