BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be buying rims and winter tires for our i4 but I want to have some kind of aerodynamic rim of a size that gives me the best range. Here's my questions...

1. As I understand it, smaller rims give you better range? Is this true even if you increase the sidewall of the tire? I'm considering 18s or even 17s for winter.
2. I've always had Hakkapeliitta 9s with studs for winter driving and I love them...will I lose a lot of range because of the studs?
3. I've looked at various rims but there doesn't seem to be any kind of aero rating for them...what do I look for in a rim to know it's good aerodynamically?

I'm excited about winter driving this because I think with studded tires and its weight, it's going to be a traction monster on ice. Haha...I just need to find a snow blade now to put on the front bumper for when the snow reaches the undercarriage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll be buying rims and winter tires for our i4 but I want to have some kind of aerodynamic rim of a size that gives me the best range. Here's my questions...

1. As I understand it, smaller rims give you better range? Is this true even if you increase the sidewall of the tire? I'm considering 18s or even 17s for winter.
2. I've always had Hakkapeliitta 9s with studs for winter driving and I love them...will I lose a lot of range because of the studs?
3. I've looked at various rims but there doesn't seem to be any kind of aero rating for them...what do I look for in a rim to know it's good aerodynamically?

I'm excited about winter driving this because I think with studded tires and its weight, it's going to be a traction monster on ice. Haha...I just need to find a snow blade now to put on the front bumper for when the snow reaches the undercarriage.
What i4 have you ordered? It looks like the M50 has bigger brakes than the e40 Sport. MSport e40’s here in the U.K. also look to get a brake upgrade.

You may only be able to go down to 18” rims if you have big brakes. Also, then only BMW series specific wheels have the correct offset and guaranteed brake clearance.

I have the Brembo upgrade (370mm rotors from memory) on my present BMW F31 340i and have minimal clearance when fitting 18” BMW wheels as my winter set. These wheels are also shaped inside to accommodate. This upgrade looks like the present blue and red offerings. Though, with motor regeneration the brake rotor may be the smaller 340mm option in the i4’s that from memory allows 17” wheels.

Basically check your rotor diameter first.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
525 Posts

1. I believe that 18" will be the smallest size acceptable for this car.
2. Winter tires will reduce a little the range but lest than cabin warming and cold outside. The studs will help on ice as usual but will be noisy!!!
3. I don't think that winter rims are aerodynamic!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Winter 18’” wheels with the big Brembo‘s (370mm) on my old F30 330d.

I think they are BMW M442 wheels. 8J width on the front.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

19” summers on my F31 340i. Again 370mm. As you can see the brakes are big even in 19” wheels.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. I believe that 18" will be the smallest size acceptable for this car.
2. Winter tires will reduce a little the range but lest than cabin warming and cold outside. The studs will help on ice as usual but will be noisy!!!
3. I don't think that winter rims are aerodynamic!!!
Yeah....There is the noise sacrifice for sure with studs but we get a lot of icy roads so I'm okay with the compromise. As to rims, I'm just wondering how those cheap black steel rims you can get at Canadian Tire would work. they're pretty closed off so maybe that would be more aerodynamic or perhaps that's not all that important.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What i4 have you ordered? It looks like the M50 has bigger brakes than the e40 Sport. MSport e40’s here in the U.K. also look to get a brake upgrade.

You may only be able to go down to 18” rims if you have big brakes. Also, then only BMW series specific wheels have the correct offset and guaranteed brake clearance.

I have the Brembo upgrade (370mm rotors from memory) on my present BMW F31 340i and have minimal clearance when fitting 18” BMW wheels as my winter set. These wheels are also shaped inside to accommodate. This upgrade looks like the present blue and red offerings. Though, with motor regeneration the brake rotor may be the smaller 340mm option in the i4’s that from memory allows 17” wheels.

Basically check your rotor diameter first.
We ordered the M50 so yeah...17 inch rims seem to not be an option with the big breaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.