BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never owned a BMW before.

I'm considering the eDrive 40. I prefer smooth, comfortable rides (coming from an Accord), not necessarily 'sporty' rides.

1. I see buttons near gear shifters like 'comfort, eco, sport', etc. Do these buttons only come with the car if I select the Adaptive M Suspension? I do like the idea of somewhat configurable drive modes that feel sportier or more comfy based on the situation.

2. Does the Adaptive M Suspension allow for, if configured for it, a smoother ride than the base eDrive40, or would I really only select this option if I preferred a stiffer drive?

For context, as I mentioned, I come from an Accord which drives like a boat, and I felt that the Tesla Model 3 was too harsh of a suspension.

·
Registered
525 Posts
2. Does the Adaptive M Suspension allow for, if configured for it, a smoother ride than the base eDrive40, or would I really only select this option if I preferred a stiffer drive?
You skipped the link that I posted...

1) Anyway, without being sure, what I got is, that in terms of Comfort it goes like this:
STANDARD > Comfort mode in Adaptive-M > Sport mode in Adaptive-M > non-adaptive-M
2) There is also the matter of ground clearance that is lower with the adaptive suspension. Many posts here about that. Visible also in the configurator.

Personally, after careful consideration I decided to skip it, even if I go for the M trim.
Just my 0.02€.

1. I see buttons near gear shifters like 'comfort, eco, sport', etc. Do these buttons only come with the car if I select the Adaptive M Suspension?
Νο.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never owned a BMW before.

I'm considering the eDrive 40. I prefer smooth, comfortable rides (coming from an Accord), not necessarily 'sporty' rides.

1. I see buttons near gear shifters like 'comfort, eco, sport', etc. Do these buttons only come with the car if I select the Adaptive M Suspension? I do like the idea of somewhat configurable drive modes that feel sportier or more comfy based on the situation.

For context, as I mentioned, I come from an Accord which drives like a boat, and I felt that the Tesla Model 3 was too harsh of a suspension.
Water Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

No matter how fast or slow you go, ride quality and handling matter. So absolutely.
Adaptive suspension do not seem to be adapted to @scarletfever

·
Registered
21 Posts
Adaptive dampers can be set by the driving mode button to a starting point. However, if set soft they still Adapt and stiffen up as required.
I have had 2 BMW’s in the previous F generation cars with this option and it is an instant tick for me.
I nearly always have them in their comfort mode and they adapt nicely to sportier driving.
In my present 340i I mostly keep the Sport mode set to do nothing to the chassis setup, so it just wakes up the gearbox and makes the exhaust noisy.
In the F series cars the Comfort setting is softer than the standard passive suspension, but can stiffen up further than the passive Sports suspension option. This can be either by changing the drive mode settings or it automatically adapting to the driving conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1) Anyway, without being sure, what I got is, that in terms of Comfort it goes like this:
STANDARD > Comfort mode in Adaptive-M > Sport mode in Adaptive-M > non-adaptive-M
2) There is also the matter of ground clearance that is lower with the adaptive suspension. Many posts here about that. Visible also in the configurator.

Personally, after careful consideration I decided to skip it, even if I go for the M trim.
Just my 0.02€.

Νο.
what do you mean I skipped the link? I posted 2 questions in the OP, you posted a helpful link, and then I get accused by two people of not reading it, without having asked any other questions lol. Anyway, that thread is helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
what do you mean I skipped the link? I posted 2 questions in the OP, you posted a helpful link, and then I get accused by two people of not reading it, without having asked any other questions lol. Anyway, that thread is helpful, thanks!
There is no "accusation" in "you skipped the link". I could say "you easily offended" but that might sound like an "accusation" too.

There is also a search function in the forum. The word accusation....I mean...suspension produces several relevant results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
asd

Just my 0.02€.

Νο.
The ground clearance is the same. The configurator must be wrong. If you check the technical details of the i4 and the i4M50, you see that both have a ground clearance of 125mm.

·
Registered
525 Posts
View attachment 2719

It's in german. Bodenfreiheit means Ground clearance. And both models have 125mm even though, the M50 has the M Suspension as standard. The total height is also the same. The screenshot is from the german BMW homepage.
A number in a spreadsheet can easily be wrong.
A very specific text that points out the exact difference between the two (0.4 in.) AND the guys who made the configurator and took the effort specifically to lower down the car in the graphics when you select the adaptive M suspension can't be wrong.

Sorry friend but I'm amazed that you still insist. Anyway...

·
Registered
12 Posts
A number in a spreadsheet can easily be wrong.
A very specific text that points out the exact difference between the two (0.4 in.) AND the guys who made the configurator and took the effort specifically to lower down the car in the graphics when you select the adaptive M suspension can't be wrong.

Sorry friend but I'm amazed that you still insist. Anyway...
I mean I would love it. Because the car is at least 2cm too high. But where can I find a proof? When I ordered, the dealer said it's the same hight. And when you look at the youtube videos available, it seems still very high. I would relly like it lower, but where can I find the fact?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts