BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I mean I would love it. Because the car is at least 2cm too high. But where can I find a proof? When I ordered, the dealer said it's the same hight. And when you look at the youtube videos available, it seems still very high. I would relly like it lower, but where can I find the fact?
I agree. Lower looks far better!
There are some issues though. For example you can check the thread:

I don't have definite proof that the car is lower but I would say I'm 99% sure.
About the what suspension is the most comfortable I would say the Standard is probably I little more comfortable than the comfort setting of the M adaptive with a 70% certainty. It's my conclusion after reading other articles and fora.

·
Registered
550 Posts
what do you mean I skipped the link? I posted 2 questions in the OP, you posted a helpful link, and then I get accused by two people of not reading it, without having asked any other questions lol. Anyway, that thread is helpful, thanks!
Sorry.

BMW writes everywhere that the ground clearances are the same for the e40 and the M50, I think this 10mm thing is a bug we find in some docs (and configurator). It must date from another model / context

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry.

BMW writes everywhere that the ground clearances are the same for the e40 and the M50, I think this 10mm thing is a bug we find in some docs (and configurator). It must date from another model / context
I think that too. Because as far as I know, the 10mm are only for ICE models and only RWD. The xdrive Models also never had the 10mm lowering. Must be a copy/paste mistake. In the US, where they mention the 0.4 inches they have a picture of an ICE model. Sadly, everything seems to confirm that there won't be any lowering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found another article in the german version of insideev (BMW i4 M50: Viertüriges Elektro-Coupé mit 400 kW im Test (insideevs.de). With 125mm it is apparently lowered to the legal maximum.

Translation of the "Battery and seating position" part:

"The battery in both i4 versions is an 81 kWh battery (net), which provides up to 521 km of range in the M50. The battery plate is very flat with a height of 11 centimeters. Nevertheless, the seating position is not much higher than in the 4 Series Grand Coupe, BMW engineers affirm. How is that possible?

Well, first, the engineers have lowered the ground clearance from 145 millimeters to the legal minimum of 125 millimeters; that adds two centimeters. Second, the car is about four centimeters higher. And third, the i4 has a completely different floor panel than the 4 Series Gran Coupé. Here, the battery is used as a stability element.

Even in the rear, you hardly seem to sit any higher than you normally would in a sedan. However, the floor is higher, so the knees are clearly up. That's not uncomfortable, but you won't have much support for your legs in the rear on winding country roads."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The rule with cars is always to get the best suspension you can. Tesla screwed up on the MY suspension, which is one reason (of many) I am ready to move on.
Yeah, I guess 'best' is highly subjective, but it sounds like the non adaptive non-M suspension should be significantly more comfortable than the Teslas. The adaptive M on comfort mode should also be better that Tesla, but I wonder if the 19" wheels over the 18" wheels hurt the comfort a bit. I'll probably try to test drive the regular 4 series with adaptive to help decide. Really, really wish it was a standalone option instead of having to spend an extra $2400 on the eDrive

·
Registered
525 Posts
The "legal minimum" of 12.5 cm raises a good argument. So now I'm changing my 99% certainty to ...I don't know!
Unless the "typo" (if there is one) is not in the 2nd 12.5cm/4.9in but in the 1st one and the non adaptive is 13.5.
Still I am amazed by how they messed up the configurator.

If it turns out that the g.c. is the same I might reconsider adding the adaptive M.
I value comfort more than a sport/hard ride but watching the M50's reviews that said is comfortable enough, if g.c. is not shorter then it might be a good choice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, I guess 'best' is highly subjective, but it sounds like the non adaptive non-M suspension should be significantly more comfortable than the Teslas. The adaptive M on comfort mode should also be better that Tesla, but I wonder if the 19" wheels over the 18" wheels hurt the comfort a bit. I'll probably try to test drive the regular 4 series with adaptive to help decide. Really, really wish it was a standalone option instead of having to spend an extra $2400 on the eDrive
"Best" is a complicated idea with suspension. It's a matter of tradeoffs with traditional suspensions. Modern systems allow more of a "have it all" setup. The M setup allows more have it all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Basically, comfort is also more important to me than any sportiness. But the look also plays a role. Therefore, I have taken the standard suspension and will then lower it with springs 0.78 - 1.18in. Since the car has air suspension in the back, I only have to change the springs in the front. The back can be programmed to a new standard height.
I hope that works that way. Even if it would be 0.4in lower with the adaptive suspension, it has to be lowered even further.

·
Registered
525 Posts
35 years ago, when I had my first car, an Alfa Romeo, I changed the, otherwise good, front suspension, after a few months of the buy, and I immediately noticed a big difference the way the car handled itself especially in the corners. The comfort was unaffected. So I know and understand the importance of a good suspension, if someone knows what he's doing that is.

Nowadays I think is too much hassle to do this especially in a brand new car.

In another matter I don't know if the bigger M brakes are of any importance either, since you have the motor(s) helping the breaking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You skipped the link that I posted...

1) Anyway, without being sure, what I got is, that in terms of Comfort it goes like this:
STANDARD > Comfort mode in Adaptive-M > Sport mode in Adaptive-M > non-adaptive-M
2) There is also the matter of ground clearance that is lower with the adaptive suspension. Many posts here about that. Visible also in the configurator.

Personally, after careful consideration I decided to skip it, even if I go for the M trim.
Just my 0.02€.

Νο.
If I wanted to try out the 'Standard' suspension of a similar car, would I go for a test drive of the 430i without the adaptive m suspension?

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
218 Posts
35 years ago, when I had my first car, an Alfa Romeo, I changed the, otherwise good, front suspension, after a few months of the buy, and I immediately noticed a big difference the way the car handled itself especially in the corners. The comfort was unaffected. So I know and understand the importance of a good suspension, if someone knows what he's doing that is.

Nowadays I think is too much hassle to do this especially in a brand new car.

In another matter I don't know if the bigger M brakes are of any importance either, since you have the motor(s) helping the breaking.
Excellent point in the bakes. I'll stick with my blue caliper point and save more coin, hehe

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hm interesting. So I guess until eDrive40 reviews come out, there's no way to know for sure how the standard suspension will feel.
The devil is in the details. I4 is going to be heavier but closer in weight. I don't know what suspension they're putting on the e40. I would expect that they'll all drive like BMWs. Remember that all those batteries low down transform handling. If anything it's why Tesla can be lazy about suspension design.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Is there anything technical or mechanical that the $2400 ‘m sport’ add on does that makes it an actual hard requirement for the adaptive suspension add on? I know the website requires it, but is that something a dealer can override? I don’t care about the sport seats and I’d probably prefer 18” wheels to 19”, but the adaptive suspension is still something that is otherwise appealing to me. At the add on price it seems like a no brainer, but adding on the m sport makes it a tougher decision. I don’t know if the dealer could tweak it and then the factory would deem it an impossible build.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
I would support that ranking. Which in the end means (wheel size apart of course) for the i4

1) If getting the e40 don’t forget to get the adaptive if going for the m pack and

2) if going for the m50 there nothing to choose on suspension
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the standard i4 eDrive40 without adaptive rear has the 'cushiest' suspension. That's what I'd want. I know many want a stiffer suspension, but not me.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts