BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 40 will have softer or the same springs and middle of the road damping with softer, higher profile tires. The 50 will have stiffer springs and lower profile wheels, but the dampers will be intelligent, adjusting the ride. Probably less head toss in the 50 but more shocks from stiff bumps. Less of a compromise of ride and handling in the 50. Perhaps, but not sure, a stiffer ride overall, but like I said, less head toss. My MY is AWFUL in the head toss department. I feel like a bobblehead on rough roads, and I constantly drive rough roads. My 550i with sport suspension was far more comfortable. Even my Subaru Forester is more comfortable.

Suspension is not linear in comfort. There are many factors.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
One thing I'd point out regarding 'rear wheel drive' in the eDrive40 and those that are concerned about traction. I had a 2017 MS with rear drive and the stability was excellent and I did not experience what you'd typically expect of RWD in terms of traction loss in bad weather. I'm sure this is due to the greater weight and, more importantly, the lower center of gravity as the result of the heavy battery pack mounted low down. I'd expect the BMW will be the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The 40 will have softer or the same springs and middle of the road damping with softer, higher profile tires. The 50 will have stiffer springs and lower profile wheels, but the dampers will be intelligent, adjusting the ride. Probably less head toss in the 50 but more shocks from stiff bumps. Less of a compromise of ride and handling in the 50. Perhaps, but not sure, a stiffer ride overall, but like I said, less head toss. My MY is AWFUL in the head toss department. I feel like a bobblehead on rough roads, and I constantly drive rough roads. My 550i with sport suspension was far more comfortable. Even my Subaru Forester is more comfortable.

Suspension is not linear in comfort. There are many factors.
What is the factor that determines the amount of 'head toss'? I tested a model 3, and my immediate takeaway was 'I feel like a bobblehead'. I always equated this to the stiffness of the suspension (I'm not a 'car guy' if this isn't obvious) but that may be incorrect.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question, in that case. Instead of asking about comfort or stiffness, which suspension (base eDrive 40 vs adaptive M) will result in the least amount of head toss? And what is the determining factor that goes into that? The dampers? In other words, the dampers on the adaptive M result in a 'smoother' ride? It's hard for me to really distinguish what determines 'comfort' (presumably 'softer' springs) versus actually being able to travel over a less than perfect road without feeling carsick or having a sore back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What is the factor that determines the amount of 'head toss'? I tested a model 3, and my immediate takeaway was 'I feel like a bobblehead'. I always equated this to the stiffness of the suspension (I'm not a 'car guy' if this isn't obvious) but that may be incorrect.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question, in that case. Instead of asking about comfort or stiffness, which suspension (base eDrive 40 vs adaptive M) will result in the least amount of head toss? And what is the determining factor that goes into that? The dampers? In other words, the dampers on the adaptive M result in a 'smoother' ride? It's hard for me to really distinguish what determines 'comfort' (presumably 'softer' springs) versus actually being able to travel over a less than perfect road without feeling carsick or having a sore back.
I think they'll both be pretty good quality wise, especially with the 19 or smaller wheels. Head toss shouldn't be a big issue either way.

If the shocks are underdamped, you get head toss, the bobblehead effect. Springs have more to do with the initial impact feel, but compression damping also affects effective spring rates. Suspension geometry, bushings, component weight, bump stops, the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight, the tires, the wheel size, the amount of air in the tires.

The components of my Tesla MYLR are good quality. Some are cast aluminum, which ain't cheap. The springs are pretty soft, evidenced by how much the car droops when people sit inside, and how much it leans in corner. The dampers are just set up terribly wrong. Bobble bobble bobble. Might be a geometry issue or bushing issue too. Like most cars, the MY runs on its bumpstops much of the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there anything technical or mechanical that the $2400 ‘m sport’ add on does that makes it an actual hard requirement for the adaptive suspension add on? I know the website requires it, but is that something a dealer can override? I don’t care about the sport seats and I’d probably prefer 18” wheels to 19”, but the adaptive suspension is still something that is otherwise appealing to me. At the add on price it seems like a no brainer, but adding on the m sport makes it a tougher decision. I don’t know if the dealer could tweak it and then the factory would deem it an impossible build.
On my last two ICE BMW’s I have had adaptive dampers. I have ran 19” summers and 18” winters, both sets have been runflat tyres. In both cars there has been little change in ride comfort in when changing wheel sets.
In my own experience sport mode can be too stiff on bad surfaces. But, comfort setting always adapts if you push the car.
On these cars, F30 330d and F31 340i, the adaptive dampers were a stand alone option. But, in the present generation everything seems to be packaged to satisfy European efficiency tests that have to cover all configurations. BMW has changed its optioning from bespoke to packs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never owned a BMW before.

I'm considering the eDrive 40. I prefer smooth, comfortable rides (coming from an Accord), not necessarily 'sporty' rides.

1. I see buttons near gear shifters like 'comfort, eco, sport', etc. Do these buttons only come with the car if I select the Adaptive M Suspension? I do like the idea of somewhat configurable drive modes that feel sportier or more comfy based on the situation.

2. Does the Adaptive M Suspension allow for, if configured for it, a smoother ride than the base eDrive40, or would I really only select this option if I preferred a stiffer drive?

For context, as I mentioned, I come from an Accord which drives like a boat, and I felt that the Tesla Model 3 was too harsh of a suspension.
I currently have a 340i without adaptive suspension. I find the ride comfortable but rolls too much in the curves. I ordered the i4 e40 M sport with adapted suspension and 19 inch wheels. Everything I have heard and read seems to indicate that I can get a comfortable ride as well as better control in the curves. We’ll see!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd really like to see active anti-roll, magneto shocks, and rear wheel steering in a smaller car. Right now, only $100k+ sports cars and big boats do this (Taycan, for instance). Those three technologies together and tuned right make for amazing handling, a flat ride, and comfort.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts