BMW i4 Forum banner

How do you charge at home?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about how different members will charge at home: 110V or 240V FlexCharger or a charging system. If a charger, which one?

Reactions: gsbaker and M3HNGRY

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm planning on the 240V FlexCharger. This is how I've charged my Tesla for 3 years, no issues. Works fine for my setup. (The only downside is my plug is on the drivers side of the car, where it is on the Tesla, so I'll have to drag the cable around to the other side. This would be an issue with any of the chargers on this list.)

Reactions: gsbaker and ssh

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning on the 240V FlexCharger. This is how I've charged my Tesla for 3 years, no issues. Works fine for my setup. (The only downside is my plug is on the drivers side of the car, where it is on the Tesla, so I'll have to drag the cable around to the other side. This would be an issue with any of the chargers on this list.)
Or back in? ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Or back in? ;)
If I back in, then I'm dragging it to the back of the garage (technically further than around the back). Either way it's different. Not a big deal, just different.

• Haha

·
Registered
Tanzanite M50, red sensatec, carbon fiber trim, red brakes, 859" wheels, DAAP, PAP, premium. lsrlite
371 Posts
I have 2 wallbox brand 45Amp chargers. The one for mine has been sitting and is getting lonely while the one for our X5 gets used every day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Webasto TurboCord which plugs into a regular 110V outlet, and the car is limited to 12A so I don't trip my breaker. The charger could charge at a higher rate, but I don't have a 240V outlet. The Webasto I believe was rebranded and used for the i3's charger. The BMW Flex charger is too large and unwieldy for me.

The long term plan is to install a hardwired Chargepoint, which is currently sitting in storage because my local utility is dragging its feet on inspection for a main panel upgrade from 100A to 200A. I don't drive very much so this isn't a big inconvenience for me right now.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don’t mind, it would be great if you’d vote in the poll at the top?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I voted at the top, but wanted to provide some clarity around my decisions. I installed a ChargePoint Home Flex, hardwired. It gives me the capability to charge up to the maximum 48a the vehicle can take which may come in handy in the near future if we get a second EV and want to share. That said, my new employer has free L2 charging so I know where I'll be doing most of my charging now! I didn't want to use the Flexible Fast Charger because I wanted to always keep it in the vehicle in case I ever got stranded somewhere and needed a quick hit of juice. I also want the FFC to stay as clean as possible so it's not dirtying up my trunk. It would invariably get nasty if it was used daily in the garage.

·
Registered
2023 M sport, Black Sapphire Metallic and most of the bells and whitsles.
140 Posts
We are just going to plug into a 240 V using the Nema 14-50 adapter. Our electric company will only give a rebate on Instalation if there is a 40 a and nothing higher. So no need to get a wall unit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I currently do not have a 240 connection and don't plan on paying a electrician the absurd amount to put one in. I don't drive my car but a few miles a day during week and the 110 will charge 40 miles a night on my car so at end of week im full charge and didn't cost me anything. I don't see spending the money on faster level two plus when you don't need a full over night charge just seems a waste of money in my opinion. plus for some older houses like mine i would have to change the box get some wiring done and..... its expensive to put a 240 in out to the car.

·
Registered
From G30 Individual to i4 M50 Aventurin Red/Mocha
169 Posts
I had a 240v outlet installed ($1200 - yikes) and use the BMW FlexCharger. Works great, once I realized the app defaulted to 6A max. and I was charging at the 120v rate :)
Gas Cable Wood Wire Electrical supply

·
Registered
i4M50
325 Posts
I purchased a Charge point to hardwire but someone else took delivery and I had to request a refund that took two weeks!! I'm so disappointed I've been sitting on my hands trying to decide if I want to buy another at full price or wait to decide later on this year. UGH I'm just so frustrated.

• Sad
Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
Tanzanite M50, red sensatec, carbon fiber trim, red brakes, 859" wheels, DAAP, PAP, premium. lsrlite
371 Posts
I had a 240v outlet installed ($1200 - yikes) and use the BMW FlexCharger. Works great, once I realized the app defaulted to 6A max. and I was charging at the 120v rate :)
View attachment 13524
Wow, why so high? I spent $1900 for two circuits to hardwire my boxes and those needed to snake through my entire basement's finished ceiling as the garage and panel are on opposite sides of the house. I did spend a bunch of time getting quotes from a bunch of electricians though.

Reactions: gsbaker and rjwc

·
Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster
369 Posts
Myenergi Zappi. I received an email today, asking me to review the Zappi I had installed in February. I still haven’t tried it out!

• Haha

·
Registered
2022 BMW X5 45e
127 Posts
I was initially going to use the BMW FlexCharger and install a Nema 14-50 in the garage but my electrical panel is on opposite side of the house and quoted $1600.
Currently plan is to charge at work since it's also cheaper per kW.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Voted ssh :) you probably already know my answer hehe

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ll use the 240 BMW fast charger to start, and then maybe take a look at a wall unit eventually. I need to upgrade my amp from 100 to 200 and get an outlet installed so I would rather not spend more just yet.

·
Registered
E-drive 40 Dravid grey/cognac Msports package with all options.
39 Posts
Plant Audio equipment Gas Cable Wire

Pulsar + wallbox Installed on a 60 amp circuit. Since bmw i4 can take 11kw it would take this 48amp less then 8 hours to charge fully when empty. Unfortunately, in my city, they required a disconnect in sight of the charger since it was a 60-amp circuit.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M50 - Brooklyn Gray - 19" 860M all season - Mocha Vernasca Leather - Carbon Fiber trim
161 Posts
Hardwired Chargepoint.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts