BMW i4 Forum banner

How do you charge at home?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
1,541 Posts
Same way I charge now, ChargePoint, but without a J1772 adapter.

Tire Floor Waste container Rolling Gas

• Love
Reactions: gsbaker and ssh

·
Registered
E-drive 40 Dravid grey/cognac Msports package with all options.
15 Posts
View attachment 13547

Australian homes are 240V, I am fortunate to have 3 phase as well. This is a gen 2 wallbox - I worked out how to turned off RFID authentication.
Unfortunately not available in the US yet, and I think they would only max out to 40amp or 9.6kw charging strangely.

·
Registered
2022 i4 40e Brooklyn Grey/Black leather Blue stitching/M Sport pkg/Premium pkg/HK sound
234 Posts
Splitvolt splitter and Grizzl-e charger set to 24 amps as I am using the dryer socket.
Output device Adapter Gadget Cable Adapter

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
1,828 Posts
I purchased a Charge point to hardwire but someone else took delivery and I had to request a refund that took two weeks!! I'm so disappointed I've been sitting on my hands trying to decide if I want to buy another at full price or wait to decide later on this year. UGH I'm just so frustrated.
Hi sizeej,

Did someone take your chargepoint, or did you not get the car you expected?

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
33 Posts
I had a panel feeding some A/C units outside my garage on the other side of the same wall as I will park my car, so only $840 (considering Hawaii project costs, I felt lucky) for a nice "in-wall" NEMA 14-50 outlet since the run was so short and there was room in the panel for a 50 Amp breaker. Just need to get motivated to finish the dry-wall repair. I'll be using the BMW Flexible Charger. Its not a hard-wired charger, but I think the flush-mounted outlet combined with the brackets I bought from a member here who 3-D printed them will look pretty professional!

Fixture Grey Rectangle Luggage and bags Wood

·
Registered
From G30 Individual to i4 M50 Aventurin Red/Mocha
162 Posts
Wow, why so high? I spent $1900 for two circuits to hardwire my boxes and those needed to snake through my entire basement's finished ceiling as the garage and panel are on opposite sides of the house. I did spend a bunch of time getting quotes from a bunch of electricians though.
indeed, was opposite sides of the house for me...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
In my garage the outlets are just 110v on 15A breakers, which provide just 1.3 kW. It would take two days to charge 30% to 80%.

Knowing I needed to install a new breaker and 240v line, and not knowing how robust the bmw FlexCharger would be for frequent use, I bought a Chargepoint 50A Home Flex.

That was in February when the charger cost less than it does today. So I paid $700 for the charger and $1100 for the 240v line and hardwired installation. Hardwired installation was neater and cheaper than putting in a 240v outlet and a GFCI.

Also the cable is longer than that of the FlexCharge, so as to reach a future second car in the garage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Chargepoint Home flex hard wired. It got good reviews, I like the app, I needed something, lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Single JuiceBox for now, hooked to a 50AMP circuit. I installed it in between the two garage bays for either the I4 or the Rivian, neither of which I have as of today. Before I installed it, I tested how long the cable was and its ability to reach any side of a car in either location.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I use cats that I rub on balloons. Once they're charged up, I use the static build-up to replenish the battery. It's not very quick to be honest.
Have you tried putting your cat in a running wheel and connecting a generator to the bearings?

On this open-sided apparatus, you will be able to mount a ring of balloons on the perimeter to charge against the cat as she runs.

Environmental advisory: before you do this be sure to calculate the carbon footprint of the cat, based on her diet, and compare that to the carbon used by your local electric utility.

·
Registered
2023 M sport, Black Sapphire Metallic and most of the bells and whitsles.
105 Posts
I currently do not have a 240 connection and don't plan on paying a electrician the absurd amount to put one in. I don't drive my car but a few miles a day during week and the 110 will charge 40 miles a night on my car so at end of week im full charge and didn't cost me anything. I don't see spending the money on faster level two plus when you don't need a full over night charge just seems a waste of money in my opinion. plus for some older houses like mine i would have to change the box get some wiring done and..... its expensive to put a 240 in out to the car.
Thinking of it now we should have done the same thing as you. We have a 2021 Nissan Maxima and we recently sold a 2017 370 Z so we used part of the money to put in a 240 V which cost us 1700.00. We got caught up in the hype of having to have some kind of charging unit. At the time we put it in we were buying a Tesla Model Y and was told that a 110 v would only charge 2 to 3 miles per hour and since we were only going charge after midnite (we get a 1.5 cents discount from our electric company ) from 12am to 6am we thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’m in Finland so our charging providers differ, but we will have a 11kW charger hardwired in our car port. Our 330e is charged straight from the standard plug.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I currently do not have a 240 connection and don't plan on paying a electrician the absurd amount to put one in. I don't drive my car but a few miles a day during week and the 110 will charge 40 miles a night on my car so at end of week im full charge and didn't cost me anything. I don't see spending the money on faster level two plus when you don't need a full over night charge just seems a waste of money in my opinion. plus for some older houses like mine i would have to change the box get some wiring done and..... its expensive to put a 240 in out to the car.
Not sure what the prices are where you live-my electrician only charged me $350 and that included parts like conduit and such, which labor. Not too bad for hardwiring in the charger.

• Wow
Reactions: Magicrat

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I had a panel feeding some A/C units outside my garage on the other side of the same wall as I will park my car, so only $840 (considering Hawaii project costs, I felt lucky) for a nice "in-wall" NEMA 14-50 outlet since the run was so short and there was room in the panel for a 50 Amp breaker. Just need to get motivated to finish the dry-wall repair. I'll be using the BMW Flexible Charger. Its not a hard-wired charger, but I think the flush-mounted outlet combined with the brackets I bought from a member here who 3-D printed them will look pretty professional!

View attachment 13552
Very similar to what I could do since we had a second panel put in when I turned the basement into my business back in the mid-90s.

However, that vertical wall between the garage doors feels like the right place to put it, so it’ll be a longer run. Just trying to decide if I spring for a (Xcel-rebated) charger or just go with the outlet. The comments here about GFI also have me leaning a bit towards a charger…

Those who have chosen the chargers, what do you see as the benefits?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts