BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How will you treat your i4?
Will you have it sleep in the garage, kiss it good night, give it every weak a nice wash, etc…
My i4 will be outside all year long, kids will have drinks and cookies in the back, the dog will travel along in the passenger seat or in the back ( never the boot). In the beginning it will go to the carwash weekly, then bi-weekly and finally once a month. It will be our working horse.
When it comes to charging, pre-heating etc… I will do all possible to maximise life and range…
At the age of 4 she will have to go, at that time I will have grown tired of her and newer better cars will be available.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My I4 will stay in a heated garage, with a 3,6 kWh charger. So likely it will spend long hours plugged in.

Looking at my current car, I probably won't wash it often enough. Kids will ruin the back seat and the front seatbacks. The trunk shelf will probably be lost, as we need all the cargo space available.

Sometimes it will probably have a roof box on, to carry big skis.

As much as I would like to say it is treated well, it will be the working horse for us also. It's not my only car, but the other one is an AC Cobra replica, so the I4 has to do all the boring stuff.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There's going to be dog hair in it, that's for sure. Ugh.

Reactions: J_P and Gunninglike

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
Heated garage, back it in, plug it, 80% limit on charging, set departure time on the app. PPF upon receipt, plus ceramic wax every 6 months, cleaning of the interior every 2 months. My wife will be jealous of the car. Plan to to into the garage and spend hours just looking at it and playing with the 1001 ways to do things with iDrive 8...

·
1,028 Posts
i4 is a beautiful product, and one of my biggest purchases.

• I am finalizing the bi-monthly cleaning contract with my daughters
  • I plan to keep an eye out for bird ---- and tree resin drips
  • 1 or 2 car washes the first few weeks
  • regular tire pressure
  • no food in the car rule

the goal is to keep it clean and functional, not like new

Edit Mod: Bad language

·
1,028 Posts
1001 ways to do things with iDrive 8...
There is a list of iDrive menus in i4 for Psychos, despite the ten m² of menus we are far from 1001 !

Configuring driving settings and turning off assistances and functions will take 5 minutes, another 5 minutes to configure Android auto... I think that'll be all

EDIT : and set the wake-up word to "Hey Gertrud", I promised my girls

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
EDIT : and set the wake-up word to "Hey Gertrud", I promised my girls
The more I think about it, the more I lean towards "Ma Jolie" as my wake up word. I wonder whether they improved on the "Automate my habits" from iDrive 7 (see below). Another thought - I HAVE to figure out a way to make a video of me drifting the car like the Chinese lady in MadMotor!

·
Registered
M50, Sapphire black, Tacora red leather, Piano black trim, Comfort Pack, full Technology Plus Pack
256 Posts
All being well, I will be ordering in the next few weeks (possibly sooner). On arrival it'll be clear wrapped and stored in a crappy but functional garage. The charge port is on the wrong side compared to my i-Pace, but I think it'll reach so it can charge while in the garage – with door 2cm open for the cable, although there is a small window...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I lean towards "Ma Jolie" as my wake up word.
Haven't thought of a specific name yet, I only knew that it must be "distinct" so the car won't be confused. You know. No one or two syllables names etc.
After reading the "Ma Jolie" I said "Ha! ...Angelina seems like a nice and distinct wake up Word."

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
537 Posts
Haven't thought of a specific name yet, I only knew that it must be "distinct" so the car won't be confused. You know. No one or two syllables names etc.
After reading the "Ma Jolie" I said "Ha! ...Angelina seems like a nice and distinct wake up Word."
Somebody in another post has suggest "Hi Beaver" referring to the big theeth on the front that I found judicious. I will probably use it :p

·
Registered
665 Posts
TBH it is a relief to see some people treating their cars as badly as I treat mine.

Like Mycroft, this is a big purchase for me. I have never spent close to this on a car and an M50 exceeds my initial budget by a long way. I thought a Polestar 2 was extravagant and now I'm spending an extra £20,000! To me, a car is a massive waste of money, something guaranteed to be worthless in 10 years time! But here I am, I can afford it, I enjoy driving and it's a lovely car. Why not throw away £70,000 :D

That said, cosmetically I know I won't give it the love I should. I would like it to stay shiny and clean but know I just have higher priorities. Maybe it's time to search out some good car washing/valeting services locally. Also, having a 14 year old car has probably made my indolent tendencies worse!

I anticipate my worst sins being:
  • Not washing the car enough (my current car hasn't been washed in at least 5 years - isn't that what rain is for?)
  • Not cleaning inside the car enough (currently happens about every 2-3 years)
  • Eating and drinking in the car
  • Dog hair in the car (although I believe I have a solution for that)
  • Muddy boots in the car (I walk the dogs in muddy fields and woods and don't change out of the boots before driving back - might have to reconsider that one)
  • Not maintaining body work. My Merc got keyed when it was 18 months old. Down one entire side and across the bonnet. Because it didn't penetrate the undercoat (and so doesn't rust), I never got it resprayed

I read this list back and feel like a bad person :sick:

·
Registered
M50, Sapphire black, Tacora red leather, Piano black trim, Comfort Pack, full Technology Plus Pack
256 Posts
Well I threw away £71K on my i-Pace and now, ten months later, I'm looking at ordering an M50 at either the same price or a tad more. The i-Pace is easily the most expensive car I've ever bought, but it's not really doing it for me, so I'm going to get as much money for it as I can (which isn't too bad, currently). suck up the depreciation and move on. Ah, it's only money (gulp).

With regards not cleaning the bodywork enough, I know you don't really want to spend even more, but I absolutely recommend a clear wrap. Even if it's just the front, wings and bonnet. As long as you'll be keeping the car for a while, you'll love how easy it is to keep it looking pristine – and zero stone chips! I'll get mine done again for sure.

As for some of your other sins, well, that's just up to you!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Not washing the car enough (my current car hasn't been washed in at least 5 years - isn't that what rain is for?)
  • Muddy boots in the car (I walk the dogs in muddy fields and woods and don't change out of the boots before driving back - might have to reconsider that one)
  • Not maintaining body work. My Merc got keyed when it was 18 months old. Down one entire side and across the bonnet. Because it didn't penetrate the undercoat (and so doesn't rust), I never got it resprayed

As I get older, I get more maintenance minded. I would agree that cleaning the inside is not that critical, but if you don't clean the outside regularly, you may want to plan to wax it with a good ceramic wax every 6 months, I started that with my 2 cars and they look brand spanking new after 2 years. The wax makes water bead and the nasty bird poop easily wash away with just a simple hose down.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,893 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I lean towards "Ma Jolie" as my wake up word. I wonder whether they improved on the "Automate my habits" from iDrive 7 (see below). Another thought - I HAVE to figure out a way to make a video of me drifting the car like the Chinese lady in MadMotor!
If they can do geofencing with the power windows, I see no reason they can't do it with the Home Link. That would be a great feature and one of the best I found on my MS.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,893 Posts
TBH it is a relief to see some people treating their cars as badly as I treat mine.

Like Mycroft, this is a big purchase for me. I have never spent close to this on a car and an M50 exceeds my initial budget by a long way. I thought a Polestar 2 was extravagant and now I'm spending an extra £20,000! To me, a car is a massive waste of money, something guaranteed to be worthless in 10 years time! But here I am, I can afford it, I enjoy driving and it's a lovely car. Why not throw away £70,000 :D

That said, cosmetically I know I won't give it the love I should. I would like it to stay shiny and clean but know I just have higher priorities. Maybe it's time to search out some good car washing/valeting services locally. Also, having a 14 year old car has probably made my indolent tendencies worse!

I anticipate my worst sins being:
  • Not washing the car enough (my current car hasn't been washed in at least 5 years - isn't that what rain is for?)

Never ever ever will I loan you my car. Never. Ever.

·
Registered
Tanzanite M50, red sensatec, carbon fiber trim, red brakes, 859" wheels, DAAP, PAP, premium. lsrlite
355 Posts
I plan on getting mine ceramic coated soon after I drive it from SC to Atlanta. I'm probably just going to get an unlimited pass to the carwash around the corner, I've taken my current cars and never seen it scratch anything. As I get older, the less I see myself handwashing it enough. Interior I'll keep pretty clean, but I'm sure my kids will leave crap in it and then at some point my crap will join their crap. I guess I could get rid of everything each time I get it washed. I think I may institute a no food pickup policy in it for awhile at least, I hate when I get in my car and it smells like chick-fil-a.

It will be garaged. My garage is somewhat tight. I'm going to institute a "no-one gets into or out of either car while it's in the garage, my kids have gotten better about not hitting my car or my wife's car opening a door but accidents happen.

Driving it I'm gonna be extra careful. My current car has been a freaking magnet for curb rash. I guess I'm a crappy driver in my mid-age. I guess I'll just avoid spots / tight drive-thru's (another benefit of not picking up food).

I'll charge it like I should, pre-condition. I'll probably just get in the habit of plugging it in when I get home and unplugging when I leave whether I plan on charging or not.

Reactions: MinhSATx

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well I threw away £71K on my i-Pace and now, ten months later, I'm looking at ordering an M50 at either the same price or a tad more. The i-Pace is easily the most expensive car I've ever bought, but it's not really doing it for me, so I'm going to get as much money for it as I can (which isn't too bad, currently). suck up the depreciation and move on. Ah, it's only money (gulp).
Ouch. I feel for you. The one silver lining is that EVs seem to have very good residual values ATM so hopefully the loss won't be too great.

@MinhSATx you are quite right about the waxing but I'm realistic and I know it is something that I will have the best intentions about...and then not do. It's not that I don't care, its just my life seems to be a never ending list of more urgent jobs or things to organise.

@Weezer I have noticed people talking about clear wraps in the forum and it is definately something I will research further. My intention for now is to keep the car for probably at least 10 years, so, although not cheap, the return on the investment probably makes it worthwhile.

·
Registered
665 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: MinhSATx

·
Registered
2022 i4 M50 San Remo Green
25 Posts
Some day, when my i4 arrives, first it gets a ceramic coating. After that it’s driven daily, at nights it has a on spot in warm garage beside a 11kW charger

1 - 20 of 112 Posts