BMW i4 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

Registered
@teamzans, Tesla's don't use a lot of sensors, they only rely on their cameras. This is what an ultrasonic parking sensor looks like. The inner area of the circle is actually the surface of the sensor, if there is a film on it it will at least reduce the range of the sensor.
View attachment 6141
Confirmed, @MinhSATx - the local shop noted that they do NOT apply PPF to those sensors you had in the picture.

Registered
Seeing this may explain a question I had about individual paints. When I select individual paints, I get a warning about the lane assist option being dropped. I assumed it was a sensor thing, but thought it weird since the paint goes on the chassis first. But I can see how those sensors may have to be painted to match the standard colors. Go with an individual color, and they may not be able to match the paint on the sensor circles.

Just a guess.
Its about the lane assist feature. Those radars are at the corners of the vehicle under the paint.
Not the round PDC-sensors.

example old 5 series

Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange
About PPF, I have looked at several pictures of wrapped cars, and have the impression that they have a plastic sheen.

I would compare it to the plastic film you get on a new computer monitor. If you don't peel it off you can still see through, but it doesn't look quite the same as a clean screen.

So am I looking at wrong pictures or does this effect really exist?

And is the film noticeable wearing polarized sunglasses?

I ask this because though polarized lenses, I seem to be able to recognize when someone dyes their hair, not that I wear the lenses for that purpose.

Registered
About PPF, I have looked at several pictures of wrapped cars, and have the impression that they have a plastic sheen.

I would compare it to the plastic film you get on a new computer monitor. If you don't peel it off you can still see through, but it doesn't look quite the same as a clean screen.

So am I looking at wrong pictures or does this effect really exist?

And is the film noticeable wearing polarized sunglasses?

I ask this because though polarized lenses, I seem to be able to recognize when someone dyes their hair, not that I wear the lenses for that purpose.
@gsbaker - I did not see that effect re the PPF. I took a tour of a local shop, and they had me do a detailed eye and touch inspection (of the Ferrari, Porches and Teslas there). The color and view on the panels with and those without PPF is indistinguishable if done correctly. If a shop cuts the film too 鈥漷ight,鈥 then you will see the border/edge near the panel edge. That鈥檚 poor workmanship.

Also, they had me look at the before / after spots of what they do to prep the paint before applying the film on brand new cars from the dealer. The difference is truly noticeable. It鈥檚 unreal how much can be done to improve the paint finish even when it comes brand new. Now, not sure how much of that could also be done at home with fine polishes, but it is noticeable nonetheless.

As for the polarized sunglasses effect, I didn鈥檛 put any on in the shop.

Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange
@gsbaker - I did not see that effect re the PPF. I took a tour of a local shop, and they had me do a detailed eye and touch inspection (of the Ferrari, Porches and Teslas there). The color and view on the panels with and those without PPF is indistinguishable if done correctly. If a shop cuts the film too 鈥漷ight,鈥 then you will see the border/edge near the panel edge. That鈥檚 poor workmanship.

Also, they had me look at the before / after spots of what they do to prep the paint before applying the film on brand new cars from the dealer. The difference is truly noticeable. It鈥檚 unreal how much can be done to improve the paint finish even when it comes brand new. Now, not sure how much of that could also be done at home with fine polishes, but it is noticeable nonetheless.

As for the polarized sunglasses effect, I didn鈥檛 put any on in the shop.
Thank you, Teamzans. I will try a visit myself. With polarized glasses.

Registered
i4 eDrive 40 M Sport - Mineral White
Day 1: Rim Savers for curb rash
Day 2: Ceramic coating.

Car will be in the garage next to the Harley.
Charger (wallbox) will be installed in Garage.
Car will be washed in and out for the the first 3 years.

After that, all bets are off.

I just washed my E46 after 3 years. Turns out its silver and not brown... i4 will probably get the same treatment after a few years. I hope not, but I know me...

Registered
Previously a 2011 335D
The car will be treated like all my BMW's. PPF on the front face/bumper. They usually cut the film around the ultrasonic parking sensors. There are the 3 levels of paint protection. Wax which lasts a few months, sealant which lasts up to a year if layered, or Ceramic which can last 2+ years. I've been using the sealant for the past decade which is easy to apply myself. My understanding is you need to do the whole paint prep process even on a new car if you are going to use ceramic.

After that always kept in the garage, washed as needed (both hand and machine depending on the weather), inside gone over 2x year including leather treatment. This has worked well for my other cars, with the 2011 still looking like new. I already have a wall charger for my son's Tesla when he visits (will use a Tesla to J1772 adapter). It has a 24' cord so no need to back in.

What are rim savers?? I'm interested. Whenever I loan a car (to one of my adult children) the rims take a beating.

Registered
Previously a 2011 335D
How do rim savers hold up? I suspect they will not survive a tire change.

Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
i4 is a beautiful product, and one of my biggest purchases.

• I am finalizing the bi-monthly cleaning contract with my daughters
  • I plan to keep an eye out for bird ---- and tree resin drips
  • 1 or 2 car washes the first few weeks
  • regular tire pressure
  • no food in the car rule

the goal is to keep it clean and functional, not like new
Keeping the tree sap and bird poop off of your finish will keep that corrosive stuff from eating through your paint sealant and clear coat.

Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
We've had ppf on the frontal areas of our cars for 6 years now and our 2017 Volt's front end with it looks like it just came off of the showroom floor. So I'll get the frontal surfaces ppf'd then Ceramic Pro the vehicle. With it being garaged it may well never need paint sealant again.

Prior to the ceramic pro on our MY I would clay bar the car then apply paint sealant q. 6 mo. I enjoy the feeling of a smooth paint surface when I run my fingers over it (and no snarky responses to this please).

I enjoy the pride of ownership and am willing to devote the time and resources to maintain our vehicles.

Registered
i4 eDrive 40 M Sport - Mineral White
Planned i4 M50 upgrades within the first 2 weeks of delivery (in order):

1. Body-color mirror caps
  2. PPF
  3. Window tint
  4. BC Forged 20" wheels with PS4S tires
  5. Sound system (Helix V12 mk2, SWS-8Xi sub, center speaker)
  6. Exterior/Interior upgrades - black "M" emblems, Crystal knob and buttons install, front lip, rear diffuser
  7. BBK
1. What colour are your mirrors now?
6. Would you be willing to sell the standard M Grille badge?

Registered
How do rim savers hold up? I suspect they will not survive a tire change.
They don't survive, at least the type I had. They were held on by double sided 3m adhesive tape. The link on this thread is to the better design protectors which are placed on after deflation. I would imagine those would survive since they should be removable prior to new tire installation.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts