BMW i4 Forum banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange
1,187 Posts
Is it just me? Whenever I think of PPF (which I am getting), I think of those people who keep the plastic delivery wrappers on their sofa so they will stay in good condition 😝
PPF to my eye changes the refraction of the sunlight, and looses the sparkle.

You are right about the sofa. One worries about saving the car for the next owner at a cost of not fully owning it oneself.

For the price of PPF you could have the car repainted when you want to sell it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All my cars stay in garage when home. At my work covered garage as well. When my wife uses it, I've taught her to look for a shady spot to avoid too much direct sun, but then it is prime bird target. So exterior washes maybe once every 2 weeks. I keep my cars clean, no litter, no food, no misc crap laying around. My wife has "stuff"! The kids wont get near it! They have their own cars now.

·
Registered
506 Posts
All my cars stay in garage when home. At my work covered garage as well. When my wife uses it, I've taught her to look for a shady spot to avoid too much direct sun, but then it is prime bird target. So exterior washes maybe once every 2 weeks. I keep my cars clean, no litter, no food, no misc crap laying around. My wife has "stuff"! The kids wont get near it! They have their own cars now.
I'm the complete opposite. I only have street parking. I work long hours and consequently neglect my car. I have dogs. I walk them in fields and woods and wear my walking boots in the car (might modify that bit when I get the new car). We live on the coast and have massive seagull poops.
PPF to my eye changes the refraction of the sunlight, and looses the sparkle.
For the price of PPF you could have the car repainted when you want to sell it.
I don't intend to sell it, I'll keep it until it is no longer cost effective. My current car is 14 years old. My current car's paint work is awful, losing a bit of sparkle is nothing compared to what my current car looks like. Add to that, my current car was keyed by some casual vandal outside my house when it was 18 months old. Down one entire side (doors, front and rear wings) and across the bonnet. Not badly but leaving a fine white undercoat line on a black car. PPF would have prevented that damage. Somebody recently did the same to all the cars in the street (mine was parked elsewhere).

·
Registered
i4 M50 in Portimao Blue, Oyster, Ash wood, currently wk 22
80 Posts
On the one hand, it’s just a car. On the other, I intend to invest to keep it working as long as I can. Historically, I’ve kept cars until they died. My 330 was my first lease, and after three years it still feels new to me. I will purchase the i4 to get the tax advantage, but I still think it’s likely I‘ll trade it in for a real electric full redesign from BMW down the line (3-5 years, I expect). But, it’ll have PPF on the front due to the sand use in the winter in Colorado. The PPF/ceramic combination on my 330 has kept it pristine (when washed!).

·
Registered
646 Posts
I keep my car until they are no longer cost effective or die.

I got rid of an E30 M3 about 20 years ago because it had become an expensive hobby.

My E36 M3 was dispatched because it had minor rear end damage and the insurance company cashed me out and my mechanic payed a premium.

My E90 335i (near FBO) was totaled last year.

I'll take care of my M50 because I take car of all my cars. I tend to keep the and that means you maintain them. They get washed and waxed regularly. I'm attentive so I never have curb rash on the wheels. I protect the front with PPF like the last three cars.

Waiting on my Tanzanite M50!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Should be getting my Sapphire black/Tacoma red M50 in the next four weeks. Immediately detailed and PPF on front half of car, then I’ll apply some Gtechniq C2 to seal the bare paintwork. It will be garaged in bad weather (until the new car novelty wears off), but it’ll be regularly cleaned and polished - mainly cos it’s black! The leather seats come with dealer-applied protection, but I will be keeping an eye on them. I have some Gtechniq leather guard so may as well bung some of that on too. And I’ll be ragging it rotten as soon as I find some suitably empty roads.

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
112 Posts
For me full frontal ppf surfaces then Ceramic Pro. I've done this on our 14 mo old MY and the finish is more lustrous than when we first got it.

We also have ppf on the frontal surfaces of our 6 year old Chevy Volt and the ppf has really worked protecting it from rocks and paint chips.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For me full frontal ppf surfaces then Ceramic Pro. I've done this on our 14 mo old MY and the finish is more lustrous than when we first got it.

We also have ppf on the frontal surfaces of our 6 year old Chevy Volt and the ppf has really worked protecting it from rocks and paint chips.
Which PPF did you use? I did this same thing with my 2020 330 and it looks lot-fresh.

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
112 Posts
Which PPF did you use? I did this same thing with my 2020 330 and it looks lot-fresh.
IIRC it was 3M and had a 5 year warranty. Our cars are garaged though and I clay bar and then use Maguire's Paint Sealant q. 6 mo. I just love a buttery smooth glass like finish on our cars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
IIRC it was 3M and had a 5 year warranty. Our cars are garaged though and I clay bar and then use Maguire's Paint Sealant q. 6 mo. I just love a buttery smooth glass like finish on our cars.
Very similar to mine, although I knew I would only have it for 3 years, so did not do the higher-end for the ceramic pro.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts