BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an appointment setup to finalize my i4 40 MY23 order as it was going into production soon. Knowing I wouldn't be able to get DAPP for MY23 (at least not at this point), I called some dealerships around me to test a theory I have. Lo and behold, not one, not two, but three dealers had i4 40s with DAPP unspoken for (and another off Reddit without). I've spent multiple days calling every BMW dealer in NJ without a single one popping up prior to that day. These cars were order cancellations with plenty of options. No strippers here. After some almost painless negotiation playing the different dealerships off each other I took initial offers of 5k or 10k over MSRP down to 1550. Drove to the dealership the same day and bought the car.

Did I pay a markup? Yes.

Did I get the exact config I wanted? No. I spent about 3k over what I originally intended.

Am I happy I got a MY22 with DAPP despite the markup? With 175 mi on the car over 3 days, yes, I love it.

My theory is that the MY22 deliveries are happening now. We're in the thick of it. People with multiple orders are likely going to cancel their extra ones once they receive one, so you're seeing a lot more cancellations now than ever before. That's my data-less pet theory which just happens to explain my experience. I hope it's true and you take advantage of it.

·
Registered
E-drive 40 Dravid grey/cognac Msports package with all options.
15 Posts
I had an appointment setup to finalize my i4 40 MY23 order as it was going into production soon. Knowing I wouldn't be able to get DAPP for MY23 (at least not at this point), I called some dealerships around me to test a theory I have. Lo and behold, not one, not two, but three dealers had i4 40s with DAPP unspoken for (and another off Reddit without). I've spent multiple days calling every BMW dealer in NJ without a single one popping up prior to that day. These cars were order cancellations with plenty of options. No strippers here. After some almost painless negotiation playing the different dealerships off each other I took initial offers of 5k or 10k over MSRP down to 1550. Drove to the dealership the same day and bought the car.

Did I pay a markup? Yes.

Did I get the exact config I wanted? No. I spent about 3k over what I originally intended.

Am I happy I got a MY22 with DAPP despite the markup? With 175 mi on the car over 3 days, yes, I love it.

My theory is that the MY22 deliveries are happening now. We're in the thick of it. People with multiple orders are likely going to cancel their extra ones once they receive one, so you're seeing a lot more cancellations now than ever before. That's my data-less pet theory which just happens to explain my experience. I hope it's true and you take advantage of it.
Yep, that’s my experience. I had my sales rep contacting me for now 2 cancellations. One with adaptive M sport suspension, but no HK sound, the other with HK but no M suspension. Oh the choices…. I thought that it was more related to the recession fears and economy in general, but could be wrong. Anyway, MY 22 is the way to go since all the tech is in that one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that’s my experience. I had my sales rep contacting me for now 2 cancellations. One with adaptive M sport suspension, but no HK sound, the other with HK but no M suspension. Oh the choices…. I thought that it was more related to the recession fears and economy in general, but could be wrong. Anyway, MY 22 is the way to go since all the tech is in that one.
Mine has both. I don’t have a ton of experience with high performance cars, but my initial impression is the adaptive suspension doesn’t add much. At least, I do feel more of the road when it’s on, but I’m not sure what to do with that information. The car seems to be pretty bulletproof with DSC on.
The HK sound system is…OK. Honestly my Acura’s was just as good if not better. I’m not blown away by it. Without the subwoofer I might be downright disappointed.

·
Registered
E-drive 40 Dravid grey/cognac Msports package with all options.
15 Posts
Mine has both. I don’t have a ton of experience with high performance cars, but my initial impression is the adaptive suspension doesn’t add much. At least, I do feel more of the road when it’s on, but I’m not sure what to do with that information. The car seems to be pretty bulletproof with DSC on.
The HK sound system is…OK. Honestly my Acura’s was just as good if not better. I’m not blown away by it. Without the subwoofer I might be downright disappointed.
Thanks, I just thought that the suspension system was the greatest thing according to some YT reviewers, but I guess I will have to find out. I actually chose that one without the HK system and I know I’m not going to be impressed at all, but hopefully I could make some alterations to the speakers system if possible. On the plus side, the space under the trunk will be free for more space.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I just thought that the suspension system was the greatest thing according to some YT reviewers, but I guess I will have to find out. I actually chose that one without the HK system and I know I’m not going to be impressed at all, but hopefully I could make some alterations to the speakers system if possible. On the plus side, the space under the trunk will be free for more space.
Yes, I do wish I had that space. Now I have a bag full of heavy cables floating around awkwardly in the trunk. 😂

·
Registered
i4 M50, Dravit Grey Metallic, Shadowline, 19" wheels, Black Vernasca Leather, Premium Package etc.
2 Posts
I was surfing the web and saw like dozens of i4 as new inventory at multiple dealers close by (mainly eDrive40 and not M50). Main caveat being "in transit" and not "on the lot". I am not sure if those canceled orders or maybe they are listing all the cars coming in (including ones that are accounted for)??

In any case, I'm going to ping some dealers tomorrow to see what's going on. I actually don't need an M50 and am fine with eDrive40. If I can miraculously find an MY22 i4 40 with DAPP and my favorite color, there is a high chance I'll pull the trigger instead of waiting 6-8 months for M50 with DAPP and the exact config I want.

Thank you for letting me know you were able to bring the mark up down to $1,550. That sounds quite reasonable if I get to save 6 months of wait, especially given the likelihood of $7,500 credit going away this year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was surfing the web and saw like dozens of i4 as new inventory at multiple dealers close by (mainly eDrive40 and not M50). Main caveat being "in transit" and not "on the lot". I am not sure if those canceled orders or maybe they are listing all the cars coming in (including ones that are accounted for)??

In any case, I'm going to ping some dealers tomorrow to see what's going on. I actually don't need an M50 and am fine with eDrive40. If I can miraculously find an MY22 i4 40 with DAPP and my favorite color, there is a high chance I'll pull the trigger instead of waiting 6-8 months for M50 with DAPP and the exact config I want.

Thank you for letting me know you were able to bring the mark up down to $1,550. That sounds quite reasonable if I get to save 6 months of wait, especially given the likelihood of $7,500 credit going away this year.
No worries! Your logic is exactly what mine was. Between the wait and the credit, I don't mind getting $3k more car months ahead of schedule. :D

I think most dealers have to list the cars no matter what. I've been told that a couple times. Makes sense since financing prequalification for some Banks like Capital One rely on the web listing.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
1,541 Posts
I know that my car is listed on my dealer's inventory page as 'in transit', despite my very solid intention to buy it as soon as it arrives, and despite my CA knowing that.

Maybe it's just as an enticement to get more orders?
"Oh, that one? Yes, we JUST sold that one to someone yesterday! Sorry, man, so close. How about we just put in an order for exactly what you want, and we can cancel that if we get one in that matches your spec before it arrives."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts