BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

· Registered
981 Posts
My only concern with the grille is how much a new one costs if you need a replacement.

Once I saw the m sport model I "got" the grille a bit more. Once I saw the car in person though, I started to dig it.

· Registered
2023 i4 40 /ALPINE WHITE /BLACK SENSA /18" GREY AERO WHEELS /PREMIUM PACKAGE /HK /i BLUE ACCENTS /SH
315 Posts
You’re in the home stretch @BlueHoosier!

So amidst all this grill love, I know one guy who hates them: my PPF guy. He’s done at least 3 and said all the texture and cut-outs require a ton of hand cutting even though he has a plotter. He did a stellar job but probably not with a smile.
Who did your PPF? I think you told me but it might have been another Portlander.....thx.

Reactions: gsbaker

· Registered
Webs my eDrive40 on 18s covered in Tanzanite stuffed with Tacora Red SensaTec
49 Posts
About 18 months ago I went with my cousin to buy a 3 series. Being a single woman she was talked into a audi a6 3.0t which she didn't need. When she decided to replace it she had me tag along since I used to have a bmw. While at the dealership I was fascinated by the larger grill. Maybe done for homeage to the 303? I guess I'm old school I love shell cordovan, automatic watches and the bog oak on my mnandi.

In respect to ppf a few shops I spoke with showed the film not covering the grill? In put would be appreciated since I plan to bring my car in on Tuesday.

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,523 Posts
Dropping this here since we’re just killing time. I might actually buy one for my office.
I'm looking if anyone wants to do a group buy, because the shipping is stupid expensive. Like the shipping is WAY more than the actual toy. ($44 for between 1 and 7, with small increases after every few cars after. I only checked as far as $53 to ship 20)

Anywho, I've got a couple takers, so send me a PM (aka Conversation) if you're interested in sharing the international shipping cost. (y)

Reactions: dudenjen

· Registered
2,523 Posts

· Registered
2,523 Posts
Anybody know who Bucky Beaver is?
View attachment 18823
Ok, so I know I’m voted off the island! J/K!
Kia wants people to call their grille a 'tiger nose' apparently, but every time I see (yet another) Kia, all I see is

· Registered
23 i4 M50
75 Posts
Agreed with everyone here. Didn’t care for it in the beginning; quite like it now. Looks badass coming at you.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
In respect to ppf a few shops I spoke with showed the film not covering the grill? In put would be appreciated since I plan to bring my car in on Tuesday.
My car goes in for PPF in a weeks time. The top half of the grill will be covered (with cut-outs for the indented bits). I'm getting Xpel PPF and their templates include the top half of the grill. The silver surround will be covered in a black wrap (my car is Dravit Gray) and the silver 'studs' in the bottom half will also be covered with black wrap. The shop can't guarantee whether this bit will last but I'm happy to give it a go. I'm also having the car de-badged and will include removal of the grill 'M'. I know this will leave a hole but I want to see how noticeable this is when covered with PPF. If I don't like it, I'll find some black equivalent to stick over it. I'll post some pics when I have had it done.

I too am coming to see the grill as part of the cars personality

· Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,479 Posts
Can you tell this is a useless thread that I started cause im alone at the EA charging station at 6.30 am with nothing to do but admire my car?
No, this is a great thread after we have suffered through all the reviews and comments that "it is a great car. Too bad about the grill". "It looks like a beaver".

Why is it worth a mention? There are so many cars with the whole front end covered. Looks like a baleen whale.

Oh wait! It is electric and should have no grill (despite having a heat exchanger and sensors).
Like it should be a faceless fish, like a Tesla or a Lucid?

I like the grill. I see a cheetah face!

· Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,479 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
I'll ask about the top half of the grill. I am doing Xpell but who knows maybe it's different for the 40 and 50?

I am also having all the silver and gray bits wrapped black along with de-badging. Dravit was my 2nd choice, I am sure it will look amazing with the murdered out grill. Can't wait to see your pictures.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
I'll ask about the top half of the grill. I am doing Xpell but who knows maybe it's different for the 40 and 50?

I am also having all the silver and gray bits wrapped black along with de-badging. Dravit was my 2nd choice, I am sure it will look amazing with the murdered out grill. Can't wait to see your pictures.
I believe that the grill is the same for the two cars. I'd definitely check. My understanding is that they just have a set of computer templates that they feed into their cutter that produces whatever sheets they need. They can even edit what is on the computer template before they cut. So, if you are de-badging, you remove the holes that would normally be cut for the badges.

"Murdered out grill" - great description.

Reactions: LionXV

· Registered
49 Posts
I just plan to take the i4 and edrive40 logos off the back. I don't think there would be holes. I am going to leave the roundels. I am going to see if they can black the silver part of the little i on the grill but leave the i showing.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts