BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is BMW planning on allowing to use the i4 as a home battery when plugged in? Most Asian cars have it and it would be a real plus.
I guess it's not available now but would it be something they can add with a software update? Anyone have some insights?

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as I know, the EV6 and Ioniq 5 are the first cars to offer V2L and V2V function.
But the point is not to use them as a "home battery". You can just plug another device, or another EV, into the type 2 socket of the car with an adapter.
V2H (Vehicle to Home) is what you are looking for, and I don't think that any compatible car has been released yet in Europe.

Regarding the i4, it's not available and probably will never be (I guess that there are some hardware specifications to meet)

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as I know, the EV6 and Ioniq 5 are the first cars to offer V2L and V2V function.
But the point is not to use them as a "home battery". You can just plug another device, or another EV, into the type 2 socket of the car with an adapter.
V2H (Vehicle to Home) is what you are looking for, and I don't think that any compatible car has been released yet in Europe.

Regarding the i4, it's not available and probably will never be (I guess that there are some hardware specifications to meet)
Indeed not possible with the i4. On top of that I think you also need another type of wallbox.
So for now the only solution to save your 'solar energy' is installing home batteries --> Hoe groot is mijn thuisbatterij best en hoeveel kost dat? - Energiesparen (only in Dutch sorry)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts