BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
i4 M Sport ordered
55 Posts
Does anybody know how this regen is calculated into consumption? Lets say you have 100 km trip with consumption of 20kWh. Your regen was 4 kWh. Does that mean that actuall consumption was 24kWh but it deducted 4 that was obtained from regen?
Well in his photo he was getting 4 miles per kWh. The i4 has an 81kWh battery, so 1/4= 0.25 > 81/0.25 = 324 miles.

Edit: sorry, just realised you were talking about regen of 4kWh, not the consumption pictured. If your consumption was 20kWh, then that’s taking the 4kWh of regen into account. Without the regen it would just be 24kWh of consumption.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi
Thought it would be interesting to post my initial electricity usage. Mixed lazy driving, 12 to 18 degrees C, 18 inch tyres. Air con usually set to 18 degrees despite pic showing 20.
This is such a great car.
View attachment 9561
With lazy driving I am doing much better than this in my M50 / 19".
Up to 6,8 km/kWh which translates to 4,2 miles/kWH.

·
Registered
75 Posts
With lazy driving I am doing much better than this in my M50 / 19".
Up to 6,8 km/kWh which translates to 4,2 miles/kWH.
So which is better way of expressing consumption? Distance per kWh or number kWh per 100km/100 miles. I think I prefer the former. Easy to switch between miles and kilometres, easy to relate total range to size of battery. Is there an industry standard yet?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had a test drive with eDrive40 today for around 2 h. Lots of mixed driving. City driving at 50km/h and then highway (110 and 130km/h). Consumption was around 15.8 kWH/100km. Around 4kWh of regen. Looks promising, very close to 2022 tesla 3 LR (around 14,8 kWh/100km) consumption. Car had 19inch tyres and M sport exterior.
What was the temperature, I understood in summer EV have more range due to the Temperature.
When I test drive the i4 eDrive40 in December I have an average of around 23kwh…. Will test again in a couple of weeks when I will get a test car for 2days

·
Registered
55 Posts
What was the temperature, I understood in summer EV have more range due to the Temperature.
When I test drive the i4 eDrive40 in December I have an average of around 23kwh…. Will test again in a couple of weeks when I will get a test car for 2days
It was very warm, around 25C. Not sure if AC was on since it doesnt have regular AC on/off button. Do you have to toggle max A/C to really turn it on? It was set to around 21C.
I did some rapid accelerations but my major focus was to simulate my regular drive around city so I was driving normal. I also had one pasanger.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know if you guys live in a super flat, easy driving area or something but I'm averaging 3.2 mi/kWh with my ed40 with 19" wheels after 900 miles and I'm not really whipping it. Not sure how you're all able to get 4+ in normal conditions unless you drive downhill both ways
My City is flat and would fall under easy driving area :) Keep in mind that it was the first time I drove this BMW and I was just simulating regular no frill drive. Mostly eco-pro + B. I think that 4kWh of regen really helped lowering consumption. Battery was also probably at the optimum temperature when I got the car.
I'm realy disapointed that I forgot to take a picture of consumption at the end.

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
68 Posts
It’s important to consider the tires as well. 19” wheels can come with varying tires, and I suspect the all-season option is a bit more efficient than the Pilot Sport 4S!

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
68 Posts
Here’s my consumption today. 3.5 mi/kWh over 258.3 miles with 55-62F weather, and mostly freeway driving between 68-72mph. 7mph quartering headwind for half of it. Started at 95%, ended at 8%. Glad I charged over 80% last night 😂

Edited to add: 859M 19” wheels, Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,543 Posts
Here’s my consumption today. 3.5 mi/kWh over 258.3 miles with 55-62F weather, and mostly freeway driving between 68-72mph. 7mph quartering headwind for half of it. Started at 95%, ended at 8%. Glad I charged over 80% last night 😂

View attachment 9685
I don’t thin that’s bad at all for an average of 70mph. My e-Tron would probably do something like 2.4 under those conditions.

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
112 Posts

View attachment 9685
That's excellent, especially with those grippy PS tires. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,543 Posts
It’s right in line with what my ‘19 i3 was getting in similar conditions, which is frankly baffling. Seems the i4 has some advancements.
Since the i4 is much heavier (I assume), it would need advancements to just match what you got with your i3.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Since the i4 is much heavier (I assume), it would need advancements to just match what you got with your i3.
Driving an i3 above 90 km/h - kills the range (all short cars have bad aerodynamics) . The i3 is much better than even a Tesla in city traffic, and probably much better that the i4, simply because of weight. (and the narrow tires). But on constant high speed it is not that good.

Today I had a 270 km trip (WLTP 310) in my i3. For the first half of the trip, I was on range, by driving between 80 and 100 km/h, but decided that it was better/faster to spend 10 minutes on a charger, and then drive 115 km/h for the 2nd half of my trip.

This is the really good thing about the i3, you always have enough range, by just driving slower.

I have one examples of the i3 having more range than my calculations :

I had been driving from Amsterdam to Hamburg at max speed (150 km/h) with a charge stop after 90 minute drives. The last charge was just outside Hamburg, and I calculated consumption to get to Kiel (ferry to Norway). What I did not consider was the heavy traffic between Hamburg and Kiel resulting in speeds of approx 70 - 90 km/h. so I ended up with 50 unnecessary kilometers of expensive german electricity that I imported in my batteries to the then low electricity cost county of Norway.

By reading different reports about consumption on the i4 on this forum, I get confused, the i4 has double battery size of the i3, it has more efficient motors, more efficient heat pumps and better aerodynamics. I hope that all these advancements is not offset by the weight, bigger tires, and 4WD on the M50.

On the i3 I plan with summer range of 250 - 300 km depending on speed. Can we expect 500 - 600 km usable in the i4 40?, and 450 - 550 in the M50 ? if not I will be a little bit disappointed.

In another thread, it was mentioned i4M50 range 500 km at 100 km/h, and 400 km at 130km. on an i4M50 with 18 inch. what speed is necessary to reach 600 km (double of i3) ? 70 or 80 km/h?

Maybe a little bit optimistic, but the similar technology iX3 with WLTP of 450 km, did 556 km when tested by NAF in summer conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
3.9 to 4 miles/kw is easily achieved with the e40, mixed driving with good weather, including motorway at up to 70 mph. 18 inch Hankook tyres. This is about 300 miles or a bit more range. It will go down a lot I presume in winter, when I test drove the M50 with 20 inch wheels at 6 degrees, at 70 mph in the same roads consumption was only 2.6 miles/kw. For my usual journeys of up to 150 miles return, range is more than enough, using heating/aircon as needed.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40
8 Posts
consumption was only 2.6 miles/kw.
That sounds super weird, because a low consumption usually is better. But when using this weird measuring unit (miles per kWh) it's the opposite. Like you can say "I only got 2.6 miles per kWh" and I get that (and have to calculate it in my head), but saying "consumption was only ..." is just not right. I'd say "efficiency" is a way better word for that term: "efficiency was only 2.6kWh per Mile". That's one of the reason I prefer kWh per 100 miles or 100 km ;)

Winter range isn't that bad at all, it all depends on the trip you're taking. If you're only going 5 miles in winter the consumption will be huge, because you have to heat up the car for just 10 minutes. But if you're traveling on the highway in winter the range won't really dip so far after the first minutes, because the car is already heated up. So if you're getting about 4 miles per kWh in Summer, you will not be suddenly getting 2.6 miles per kWh in Winter for a long trip. But you can surely drop down to <2 miles per kWh for the first few miles :) For example in my GTE without heat pump I can go down to 1.5 miles per kWh for the first few miles, but then it will stabilize to around 2 miles at around 5 miles and will go up to almost 3 miles per kWh after around 10-20 miles :) (40kWh/100km in the beginning, 30kWh after some miles, down to 21-23 after around 10-20 miles for those who don't use miles per kWh)

Normal usage is around 17kWh/100km or 3,7 miles per kWh, so I'd say it's a 30% hit for long range without heat pump, and probably around 15-25% with heat pump :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
OK, a bit more date.

This is the overall power consumption since last charge, a little bit of everything really - B roads, country roads, city, motorway.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

This the consumption just today, with quite a lot motorway at 60 - 70 mph

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Window

And this is since factory

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

This car is an amazing motorway cruiser.

Attachments

·
Registered
330D M Sport Touring
27 Posts
40 Msport 19” wheels SRG
I have now covered just over 1000 miles and on Weds on mostly wet roads 70% motorway (highway) driving achieved average of 3.8mi/kWh over a total journey of 235 miles and temperature of 12.5 - 16C. 100% charge is now showing over 300 miles. First charge away from home at a 50kwh pod point charger ran at 50kwh to 92%. This was at Lidl supermarket and cost 26.5 p/kWh - Great Value! This is a great car!
Still haven’t had time to delve into setting up my BMW connected drive in the car.

A bit off topic is it worth paint correction and ceramic coating ?? I think I’m going to keep this car a long time 🙂
Thanks Chas1. Don’t suppose that was you who passed me northbound on the M5 today near Micheal Wood services was it?? First proper sighting of a SRG e40 on the road today… just like what I’m after. The wait is long….

21 - 40 of 40 Posts