BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting view from a journalist that has already driven the M50 and now tested the 40 too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I put in my order for an M50 because I can't still internalize the prospect of spending $60K+ for a rear-wheel-drive only car. I probably won't ever get there, as in day to day driving I do have a bit of a heavy foot, and hearing that chirp of slipping tires every time I do a sharp turn and re-accelerate on high powered RWD such as Camaros, Mustang, even the much better Kia Stinger and Genesis G70 really annoys me. But I will admit that when "having fun" on a twisty road, a proper RWD able to slide its rear end on command IS a lot more fun.

Tough decision (for me at least) - fun and purity of intent vs. day to day performance and safety on rainy days? Ideally, if I could test drive an e40 on a rainy day with a slick road, it might seal the deal, but that's not likely due to the short supply and the long waits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put in my order for an M50 because I can't still internalize the prospect of spending $60K+ for a rear-wheel-drive only car. I probably won't ever get there, as in day to day driving I do have a bit of a heavy foot, and hearing that chirp of slipping tires every time I do a sharp turn and re-accelerate on high powered RWD such as Camaros, Mustang, even the much better Kia Stinger and Genesis G70 really annoys me. But I will admit that when "having fun" on a twisty road, a proper RWD able to slide its rear end on command IS a lot more fun.

Tough decision (for me at least) - fun and purity of intent vs. day to day performance and safety on rainy days? Ideally, if I could test drive an e40 on a rainy day with a slick road, it might seal the deal, but that's not likely due to the short supply and the long waits.
I'm with you there.
Even though I've have ordered the eDrive 40, it's mainly because that's all my company car lease would stretch to 😂
I have come from a long line of AWD Audi's. The latest one that is being replaced by the i4 is an Audi RS3 - power, grip and traction was just awesome :).... so too was the addictive noise of the 5 pot and RS Sport exhaust, so that will take some getting used to 🤣

On the flip side, I'm really looking forward to trying something different for my daily car in the i4...... We'll still have something like a TTS/RS as a weekend car

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello guys.
Respecting everyone's opion let me share you mine.As a long history owner of bmw's. I prefer the RWD versions much more to the xdrive versions,currently driving 7 series G11 RWD and enjoying it.
Between the edrive 40 and the M50 for me was no brainer to pick de edrive 40 ,first of all because it's all another story than the Rwd ice vehicles(witch I prefer enyway ).It's different first of all because there is no motor on the front and the battery pack is stretched between the front and rear axl equally delivering a perfect balanced car ,low center of gravity and the motor being placed on the rear pushing down on the traction axl.That's why the edrive 40 feels more agile and that's why you would not have any problems on the wet or on the snow with good tiers of course and not pushing over the limit .

The other very important thing is the range.As we all know the price of the energy is going up hard in these days.So range is important.If range is not important and you are willing to wait the extra delivery time and you need all that power go for the M50.I have an order for the edrive40 placed on 27 October and my status is 112 schedule for production.My dealer told me that car should be delivered maximum late April/2022 .(the order is with m sport package,laser,Hud,electric seats,Hk,M adaptive suspension,M brakes and so on...)

I'm from Romania 🇷🇴 by the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm also amusing reading the posts of the guys who ordered the M50 and now wondering about the range.If you drive the car slow you will have good range but then what's the point in ordering a car with so much power and afterwards driving it slow.Is like having a M car driving it in ecopro.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello guys.
Respecting everyone's opion let me share you mine.As a long history owner of bmw's. I prefer the RWD versions much more to the xdrive versions,currently driving 7 series G11 RWD and enjoying it.
Between the edrive 40 and the M50 for me was no brainer to pick de edrive 40 ,first of all because it's all another story than the Rwd ice vehicles(witch I prefer enyway ).It's different first of all because there is no motor on the front and the battery pack is stretched between the front and rear axl equally delivering a perfect balanced car ,low center of gravity and the motor being placed on the rear pushing down on the traction axl.That's why the edrive 40 feels more agile and that's why you would not have any problems on the wet or on the snow with good tiers of course and not pushing over the limit .

The other very important thing is the range.As we all know the price of the energy is going up hard in these days.So range is important.If range is not important and you are willing to wait the extra delivery time and you need all that power go for the M50.I have an order for the edrive40 placed on 27 October and my status is 112 schedule for production.My dealer told me that car should be delivered maximum late April/2022 .(the order is with m sport package,laser,Hud,electric seats,Hk,M adaptive suspension,M brakes and so on...)

That's a nice ETA for delivery. In Belgium ordering near start end of November 2021 meant delivery expectations of close to 2023 (maybe even into 2023).

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
365 Posts

I think many people coming from ICE vehicles can't appreciate that RWD in an EV is an entirely different experience than RWD in an ICE car. When I bought my MS several years ago, I was concerned about the one I was interested in being RWD. On the Tesla forums all the guys that had the RWD MS said not to worry because of the extremely heavy weight of the very low slung battery which gave it a very low center of gravity and much better sure-footedness than a comparable RWD ICE car. Additionally, the weight distribution was different than in an ICE RWD because of the battery and lack of a heavy engine up front.

So it turned out they were right. I never had an issue with traction on my RWD MS. I have zero fears of that in the BMW because of that experience and I'm really looking forward to the greater range, which is more important to me coming from an e-Tron, MS & I-Pace.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
365 Posts
Hello guys.

It's funny, I didn't see your post until after I posted mine. I had precisely the same sentiments. But I don't blame those coming from ICE vehicles, they just haven't experienced an EV with RWD. A very very different animal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think a that I was lucky with the order because in country at that time where not so much ordered. I don't know if it helped but I also payed a deposit in the same day of the order.

Know my contact fprm the local dealer tells me that all the electrical slots for 2022 are all full .

But I'm optimistic that bmw will find a way to speed up production of the car being in their interest as well.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm also amusing reading the posts of the guys who ordered the M50 and now wondering about the range.If you drive the car slow you will have good range but then what's the point in ordering a car with so much power and afterwards driving it slow.Is like having a M car driving it in ecopro.
I'm with you @Filiiony. The only difference between the M50 and the e40, driven conservatively, from a range standpoint, is the additional 153 kg of mass for the front motor, and the added rolling resistance of the tires for those that ordered the 20 inches wheels (I did not). So I don't think it's a big issue since any range depletion will be mostly caused by what's between my ears.

The bigger dilemma is indeed the agility, both because of the rear-wheel ability to initiate oversteer, and said front motor adding to the overall mass and the rotational inertia of the car.

This being said, in Texas, 80% of the driving is on public highways where "fun driving" is soon rewarded by blue and red lights in the rear view mirror, I know I will be doing a lot of Eco Pro with the M50...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts