BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
Joined
·
600 Posts
Thanks Guys for scoop.
66kwh only for max 418 km on 18" wheels will be tight and the risk to be back again in the queue, not sure that it could be the best move for me. On 19" wheels it will be below 400 km and in winter probably just over 300 km! I really don't know for now what to do. :unsure:
It all boils down to where in the queue we end up and if the eDrive40 also gets the rebate.

Reality is that most days the smaller battery/power won't be noticeable but a 15k price gap just for that is considerable.

I reached out to a few dealers in the Montreal area aside from mine and one replied that the eDrive35 gets its own new list and that they already had 5 people made a reservation.

I'm visiting my dealer on Friday for a test drive so I'll report later what he tells me.
 

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
Joined
·
537 Posts
It all boils down to where in the queue we end up and if the eDrive40 also gets the rebate.

Reality is that most days the smaller battery/power won't be noticeable but a 15k price gap just for that is considerable.

I reached out to a few dealers in the Montreal area aside from mine and one replied that the eDrive35 gets its own new list and that they already had 5 people made a reservation.

I'm visiting my dealer on Friday for a test drive so I'll report later what he tells me.
Great, waiting your comments.
I will call my rep this afternoon so we can compare ;)
 

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
Joined
·
600 Posts
from the izev website, the edrive 40 should be applicable for the federal $5K rebate, see attached View attachment 13362
Yes, that's what I think too.
We will have to wait for BMW to apply for the model again and see if it gets approved but normally it should work like that.

Otherwise the price gap between the eDrive35 and the eDrive40 which is already quite big for basically the same car is gonna be really hard to justify without the federal rebate applied to the eDrive40.

Except for the M sport package and the related M sport colours the cars can get the same equipment so it's up to evaluate if the loss of power/range/charging speed is important.
Personally I think the eDrive35 is a no brainer even if I have an M sport Brooklyn Gray eDrive40 on order.
 

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
Joined
·
600 Posts
Great, waiting your comments.
I will call my rep this afternoon so we can compare ;)
Update from my visit to the dealer.

First of all a miracle just happened, my car (eDrive40) is scheduled for production (status 112) for week 36 🥳

Regarding the eDrive35 is a new list but they will keep your position if you decide to switch from eDrive40 to eDrive35. That does not mean you are next for the eDrive35 if you are next for the eDrive40.

Likely the first allocations for eDrive35 should go to any current eDrive40 reservation holders that want to switch.

On the other hand he thinks that not many eDrive35 will be produced in the next year or so and that is just a play from BMW to keep the cars eligible for the rebates. He believes the eDrive40 will qualify for the federal rebate now. To be confirmed.

Anyway, at this dealer is too late for me to change, either I take the eDrive40 scheduled for production (very likely) or I go with a different dealer at the end of the list.
 

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
Joined
·
537 Posts
Update from my visit to the dealer.

First of all a miracle just happened, my car (eDrive40) is scheduled for production (status 112) for week 36 🥳

Regarding the eDrive35 is a new list but they will keep your position if you decide to switch from eDrive40 to eDrive35. That does not mean you are next for the eDrive35 if you are next for the eDrive40.

Likely the first allocations for eDrive35 should go to any current eDrive40 reservation holders that want to switch.

On the other hand he thinks that not many eDrive35 will be produced in the next year or so and that is just a play from BMW to keep the cars eligible for the rebates. He believes the eDrive40 will qualify for the federal rebate now. To be confirmed.

Anyway, at this dealer is too late for me to change, either I take the eDrive40 scheduled for production (very likely) or I go with a different dealer at the end of the list.
Thanks for update. I talked with my reps this afternoon:
Can switch on the edrive 35 without more cash down but no guaranty to get it earlier than my edrive40. He already received 10 reservations.
Bases on my reservation date he expect to get my car made in October so delivery in early 2023. :p
He asked me if I was ready to get less power and range, I said no way man.:mad:
I ask him to check with the director for a closely delivery date for the edrive40 and advise me back.
We are at the same point my friend!
 

·
Registered
TBD
Joined
·
17 Posts
Nice guys looking forward to hearing more good news from you!
 
  • Like
Reactions: i4_eDrive40

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
Joined
·
600 Posts
Thanks for update. I talked with my reps this afternoon:
Can switch on the edrive 35 without more cash down but no guaranty to get it earlier than my edrive40. He already received 10 reservations.
Bases on my reservation date he expect to get my car made in October so delivery in early 2023. :p
He asked me if I was ready to get less power and range, I said no way man.:mad:
I ask him to check with the director for a closely delivery date for the edrive40 and advise me back.
We are at the same point my friend!
If he thinks October that likely means you will get the allocation assigned at the beginning of September.

That was the case for me, I did not have an allocation until a couple of weeks ago and now is scheduled for the beginning of September.

My problem is the price gap, I definitely prefer the eDrive40 but if it is not eligible for the federal rebate the price is huge against the edrive35 for not much more.

I do prefer the eDrive40 also because I can get the m sport package and in Brooklyn grey which is a color I really like.

Anyways, things seem to finally happen for us. Although a delivery in the middle of winter would have not been my first choice I'll take it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
If he thinks October that likely means you will get the allocation assigned at the beginning of September.

That was the case for me, I did not have an allocation until a couple of weeks ago and now is scheduled for the beginning of September.

My problem is the price gap, I definitely prefer the eDrive40 but if it is not eligible for the federal rebate the price is huge against the edrive35 for not much more.

I do prefer the eDrive40 also because I can get the m sport package and in Brooklyn grey which is a color I really like.

Anyways, things seem to finally happen for us. Although a delivery in the middle of winter would have not been my first choice I'll take it. :)
😄 Exact same situation (M sport + Brooklyn grey), I'm really hoping for the rebate to come through for the eDrive40...
 

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
Joined
·
537 Posts
Even if you keep the M50 order let us know if you hear back from your sales rep about the final rules for the rebates.
My reps confirmed that federal rebate will be on edrive40 but as you said no M Sport for eDrive35. Because I reserved in October last year he expect to get my edrive40 built in October, ship in November are arrived at the dealer in January if all goes fine. That's the question, there is always a maybe or if in the discussion :oops:
I should get a call from Polestar in November to finalize the purchase of the Polestar2, what shoud I do????????????
 

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
My reps confirmed that federal rebate will be on edrive40 but as you said no M Sport for eDrive35. Because I reserved in October last year he expect to get my edrive40 built in October, ship in November are arrived at the dealer in January if all goes fine. That's the question, there is always a maybe or if in the discussion :oops:
I should get a call from Polestar in November to finalize the purchase of the Polestar2, what shoud I do????????????
Sorry for being THAT Yank, but...

I had ordered and placed a deposit on a Polestar 2 on January 6th because the configurator said it would be available Late January. The next morning, I got an e-mail saying that delivery would be June.

Bait & Switch much?

I took delivery of a TM3 I didn't want (to replace my dying ICE car) on March 10th, and Polestar e-mailed me 8 days later to say that the car had arrived in the US and would be available for pickup in a few days. o_O

By that point, I had really soured on the car, because so many people in the Polestar forums were having all kinds of problems, often including cars getting "bricked" and bemoaning the general lack of service infractructure for the brand.

Since the Tesla was so new, I couldn't enter the TM3 as a trade on the Polestar website, so I stopped in at the "space" that I was supposed to pick up the car at, to let them finish the trade in entry process.

I had run the car's info through Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, Carvana and Carmax to see what I should be expecting for the trade, and had a low of $58k (Edmunds) and a high of $61,400 (from Carvana). All of the values were well above the actual price I paid, and all were above the initial value of the loan I had taken.

Polestar offered me $48k immediately, and increased their offer to $50k.
I did not accept the offer, cancelled the order and got my deposit back.

They lost me as a customer, and based on my experience, I cannot recommend the brand.
 

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
Joined
·
600 Posts
My reps confirmed that federal rebate will be on edrive40 but as you said no M Sport for eDrive35. Because I reserved in October last year he expect to get my edrive40 built in October, ship in November are arrived at the dealer in January if all goes fine. That's the question, there is always a maybe or if in the discussion :oops:
I should get a call from Polestar in November to finalize the purchase of the Polestar2, what shoud I do????????????
I also have a Polestar 2 on order that is coming by end of month. Car is travelling between Vancouver and Montreal right now.

Already got the call for credit application from Polestar and got my e-Golf appraised. They lowballed me on the trade in but with the tax savings their offer is about the same as what the market offers.

All of that to say that when my BMW sales advisor told me that my car was scheduled for production next September and delivery around 3 months after that I had to re-evaluate everything.

Since BMW can always get into delays and such I decided to take advantage of the high trade in value of my e-Golf and take delivery of the Polestar this month.

When BMW calls for my delivery likely at the beginning of next year I'll run the numbers again and trade in the Polestar if it makes sense. That's the plan.

In your case, you have sort of an advantage that if Polestar gives you news in November you should know by then if your i4 was built and be able to make a better decision.
 

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
Joined
·
537 Posts
Sorry for being THAT Yank, but...

I had ordered and placed a deposit on a Polestar 2 on January 6th because the configurator said it would be available Late January. The next morning, I got an e-mail saying that delivery would be June.

Bait & Switch much?

I took delivery of a TM3 I didn't want (to replace my dying ICE car) on March 10th, and Polestar e-mailed me 8 days later to say that the car had arrived in the US and would be available for pickup in a few days. o_O

By that point, I had really soured on the car, because so many people in the Polestar forums were having all kinds of problems, often including cars getting "bricked" and bemoaning the general lack of service infractructure for the brand.

Since the Tesla was so new, I couldn't enter the TM3 as a trade on the Polestar website, so I stopped in at the "space" that I was supposed to pick up the car at, to let them finish the trade in entry process.

I had run the car's info through Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, Carvana and Carmax to see what I should be expecting for the trade, and had a low of $58k (Edmunds) and a high of $61,400 (from Carvana). All of the values were well above the actual price I paid, and all were above the initial value of the loan I had taken.

Polestar offered me $48k immediately, and increased their offer to $50k.
I did not accept the offer, cancelled the order and got my deposit back.

They lost me as a customer, and based on my experience, I cannot recommend the brand.
@rollermonkey Thank you for comments, it will help me to take decision. I know that they updated the hardware and it is a much better than the original by resolving many problems. ANW decision will be tough!
 

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
Joined
·
537 Posts
I also have a Polestar 2 on order that is coming by end of month. Car is travelling between Vancouver and Montreal right now.

Already got the call for credit application from Polestar and got my e-Golf appraised. They lowballed me on the trade in but with the tax savings their offer is about the same as what the market offers.

All of that to say that when my BMW sales advisor told me that my car was scheduled for production next September and delivery around 3 months after that I had to re-evaluate everything.

Since BMW can always get into delays and such I decided to take advantage of the high trade in value of my e-Golf and take delivery of the Polestar this month.

When BMW calls for my delivery likely at the beginning of next year I'll run the numbers again and trade in the Polestar if it makes sense. That's the plan.

In your case, you have sort of an advantage that if Polestar gives you news in November you should know by then if your i4 was built and be able to make a better decision.
@i4_eDrive40 I see what you mean it could be the best way to follow! Do you think that you could sale your Polestar easyly without loss? Are you going to buy or rent the Polestar?
 

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
Joined
·
600 Posts
@i4_eDrive40 I see what you mean it could be the best way to follow! Do you think that you could sale your Polestar easyly without loss? Are you going to buy or rent the Polestar?
I'm buying, leasing would be harder to transfer quickly and the rules on the rebates are more complex.

Also Polestar locks the interest rate back to deposit time so I'm at 3.49% right now. With BMW no clue what the interest rate will be.

Anyway I do prefer the i4 but with all delays and price changes I'm happy to get the Polestar now and see later.

In current market conditions the Polestar will quickly sell and likely for a profit. Will see next year.

For reference I bough my e-Golf in 2019 for 27k before taxes and I'm selling it for 40k after driving it for 41,000 kilometres. This market is crazy.

As crazy as this guy selling an M50 for 155k 🤣
 

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
Joined
·
537 Posts
I'm buying, leasing would be harder to transfer quickly and the rules on the rebates are more complex.

Also Polestar locks the interest rate back to deposit time so I'm at 3.49% right now. With BMW no clue what the interest rate will be.

Anyway I do prefer the i4 but with all delays and price changes I'm happy to get the Polestar now and see later.

In current market conditions the Polestar will quickly sell and likely for a profit. Will see next year.

For reference I bough my e-Golf in 2019 for 27k before taxes and I'm selling it for 40k after driving it for 41,000 kilometres. This market is crazy.

As crazy as this guy selling an M50 for 155k 🤣
Yep crazy market!!! The rent % at BMW is 7.49%.
Same than you I prefer the BMW, I will check out all the numbers in couple of months.
Cheer ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My reps confirmed that federal rebate will be on edrive40 but as you said no M Sport for eDrive35. Because I reserved in October last year he expect to get my edrive40 built in October, ship in November are arrived at the dealer in January if all goes fine. That's the question, there is always a maybe or if in the discussion :oops:
I should get a call from Polestar in November to finalize the purchase of the Polestar2, what shoud I do????????????
Stay the course with your edrive40. More autonomy in winter and eligible for the subsidy without a shadow of a doubt, not a single doubt. The Polestar has a different approach and experiences huge failures on its infotainment system, nothing to do with the i4's minor annoyances that are in the process of being resolved. I prefer a German to a Chinese.
 
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Top