BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
Just a couple of curiosities about the i4 front grill vs the new 4 GC (and 4 coupe/cabrio) and m shadow option:

1) the grill has a different shape in the bottom, which is more visible in the m models trim/ greyish color:

M440i GC (also notice that there is no front m badge)

i4 m50 (bottom center opens from the license plate)

2) if you opt for the extended m shadow trim the i4 grill still maintains a soft silver line all around whereas the 4gc is all black:

m440i GC with m black shadow

i4 m50 with m black shadow

here’s a real life 420d cabrio in dravitgray and black shadow grill (notice that is completely black):

and here’s an i4 40 (notice the i logo instead of m logo in the grill) with m pack with black shadow grill from a YouTube video (you can see the silver line all around):

Personally I like the i4 black shadow with the silver line the best combination on a black / dark color. Although the straight bottom configuration of the GC/coupe/cabrio seems to me more balanced. The black shadow also disguises the front camera which is a plus. Maybe in a brighter color the all black would be more interesting, what do you think?

regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
nice job comparing :)
for me... grey outline doesn't look as nice on other colors nor here - so i'll probably finaly decided on alpine white plus blue accents (so "i" :) )

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the i4 M50 looks the best. The plain i4 look is too much silver, it’s the same with the other new cars with these thick grille surrounds, definitely dislike it. The all-black isn’t that bad, but it completely masks the shape of the grille, leaving you with just an undefined black blob. Now, some might argue that this is better than seeing the new bmw grille design at all, but I strongly favour the m50 accent.
Undecided if the straight or crooked beaver teeth are the nicest. I think I prefer the m50 also there, on the GC it looks even more like teeth.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It’s grown on me a lot. I didn’t like it at first, now I do! I like the M3 and M4 also, but I don’t think it looks right on the other cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some of you might disagree but I really like the grill with the license plate on it!

The last couple of years BMW created a trend making the grill bigger in every new model and AFIK most people hated it. I didn't have an opinion back then and I didn't consider buying a BMW.
BUT (and its a big but) the moment I saw the i4 (with the license plate) at that presentation in L.A. I really really liked it and I decided that this will be my first EV for the back-and-forth from Greece to France.

And I really appreciate the 5th door! I want to be able to carry some bigger than a luggage items.
i4 has it all.
Great range, technology, boot space and elegant yet sporty looks. Not to mention great price for the e40 that I'm going for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts