BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I’m new to this, and I must say that I find this forum really nice and informative. Thanks all!
I’m just about to order an i4 M50. But as many in here have been through I find it hard do choose the extras. I’m on a budget, so unfortunately I can’t choose it all :)
The M-model is from base pretty good equipped (at least in Denmark), I think. But unfortunately it does not come with Live Cockpit Pro but only ‘Plus’.
Question now is; can anybody tell me what the difference is? Both in general and maybe also in details… (I love to read all about the car). And also if you think Pro is worth the extra bugs?
Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
what I found in Polish spec is that pro has additionally HUD, and drivers profiles

·
Registered
17 Posts
In a swedish document with the specs, they say that also includs augmented reality, but even the swedish BMW website doesn't mention anything about it. I would also like to know what are the real differences beyond the HUD

Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Number

·
Registered
484 Posts
Unfortunately my understanding is different.
I think it is not only the HUD.
I really hope my conclusion is wrong because I too wanna skip the Professional.

My source is a pdf that I uploaded some time ago. An official pdf from the Netherlands that I automatically translated to English.
According to this (pages 8 and 22)
Plus also lacks the following:

• Navigation function with 3D map view from various perspectives and auto-zoom.
  • Display of satellite images, buildings and detailed street view.
  • Display widgets such as album cover and vehicle status.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi all,
I’m new to this, and I must say that I find this forum really nice and informative. Thanks all!
I’m just about to order an i4 M50. But as many in here have been through I find it hard do choose the extras. I’m on a budget, so unfortunately I can’t choose it all :)
The M-model is from base pretty good equipped (at least in Denmark), I think. But unfortunately it does not come with Live Cockpit Pro but only ‘Plus’.
Question now is; can anybody tell me what the difference is? Both in general and maybe also in details… (I love to read all about the car). And also if you think Pro is worth the extra bugs?
Thanks
Hey @Baggelaj

Since you're on a budget, did you compare pricing and options to other vehicles before deciding to go with the i4?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yes - a lot of thoughts. :) And I reach the same conclusion every time; I’m not in doubt that the i4 is the best car for me out there - within my limit (Company Car Limit)… Well, at least on paper. Lets be honest, it’s a bit of a chance to order a car that (you) have never been driven.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Unfortunately my understanding is different.
I think it is not only the HUD.
I really hope my conclusion is wrong because I too wanna skip the Professional.

My source is a pdf that I uploaded some time ago. An official pdf from the Netherlands that I automatically translated to English.
According to this (pages 8 and 22)
Plus also lacks the following:

• Navigation function with 3D map view from various perspectives and auto-zoom.
  • Display of satellite images, buildings and detailed street view.
  • Display widgets such as album cover and vehicle status.
German brochure lists 3d navigation in the Plus model as well. I think NL site document is not very accurate. Because 3D map view + auto zoom is included even historically in the basic screens / i.e. not requiring professional. I believe for i4 it is really just the HUD.

·
Registered
48 Posts
German brochure lists 3d navigation in the Plus model as well. I think NL site document is not very accurate. Because 3D map view + auto zoom is included even historically in the basic screens / i.e. not requiring professional. I believe for i4 it is really just the HUD.
Just imagine 2D only top down view for 2022 model with 15" FullHD++ screens... doesn't make much sense does it

·
Registered
484 Posts
About the HUD in general. (Others with more experience may disagree).

I was initially against it, mainly because the i4 has these 2 large screens and IMHO they make it unnecessary.
Yesterday I test drove for more than an hour an i-Pace which had a HUD and at the beginning I was looking mainly at the HUD and didn't paying to much attention to the screens, so I kind of started to change my mind about its usability.

Then the sun was set and when I reached a red traffic light with a silver-ish car in front of me, the reflection of my lights were reflecting back to the HUD making it almost unreadable and annoying to look at.

Obviously a driver of a different height or an adjustment of the HUD could had fix the problem, (at least for that situation) yet I changed again my mind not wanting a HUD.

As a side-note that i-Pace also had the inside mirror flipable with an LCD screen taking image from the rear camera. The image was totally weird to look at (orange and without any depth perception) so I'm glad that that option is not included in the i4.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the HUD in an iX3 I tested and I was blown away. It was a sunny day and everything necessary was clearly visible right in front of me. I always drive at the speed limit (or a bit above) and so I need to check the instruments often. But I absolutely hate every moment I have to take my view of the road. With the HUD everything was just right.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, my opinion went back and forth pretty quickly about HUDs.

Before really testing one, I thought it was unnecessary especially when you have a vibrant instrument cluster like in the i4.
When I test the i-Pace (and that hour+ was around sunset, starting lights off and finished with lights on). I too was looking only at the HUD and forgetting about the instruments.
But in one or two occasions seating at a red light at night with the lights on, close to a bright reflective color car, it was a struggle to focus on the information HUD had.

Here's a seconds-short video of the HUD of an i-Pace that I doubt is far different from that of other brands.

Anyway, my bottom line is if the difference Plus/Professional for the i4 is solely the HUD, I will skip it.
If by any chance to sweeten the deal cut from the plus the satellite view, I may reconsider.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
239 Posts
I have the color hud in a f13 2011 with the navigation pro (cic). It just displays speed and speed limit normally. Additionally it displays nav info and cruise control info if selected. It’s the exact same info you see on the central display. Also when hud is on the Nav info doesn’t appear on the central display. If you turn hud off it appears in central display. With polarized sunglasses you just can’t see the hud. My kid sometimes plays with the buttons near the headlights switches and it disables the hud and later I don’t notice it’s off in town. I’m my view it’s a nice to have but doesn’t add much functionality and I don’t miss it at all when driving the x3, which doesn’t have the hud And even on safety while I’m on trip I frequently use cruise control so the speed is constant all the time, no need to check the speed. I’ll be ordering the hud though in the i4 only because is part of an innovation package around here and it’s included. Here are some photos of the f13 - in reality hud image is very sharp and not blurred as in the photos (iPhone night pic)
Automotive lighting Street light Road surface Window Asphalt

Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Tachometer

Window Automotive lighting Car Street light Vehicle

·
Registered
484 Posts
I will certainly give it another chance when I (hopefully) test the i4 next month, but 90% sure that I will leave it out of my order.

[Edit] I already knew about the polarised sunglasses, but how it behaves when there is dirt on the windshield and/or the projector itself? Also what about when it's raining? (Windshield and wipers moving)

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
239 Posts
I will certainly give it another chance when I (hopefully) test the i4 next month, but 90% sure that I will leave it out of my order.

[Edit] I already knew about the polarised sunglasses, but how it behaves when there is dirt on the windshield and/or the projector itself? Also what about when it's raining? (Windshield and wipers moving)
As what you see is a reflection inside the window it shouldn’t be impacted by outside conditions as dirt / rain. Honestly I don’t recall having the hud image blurry ever, including during rain. Again as it is inside reflection the wipers do their job and you keep seeing the same clear image of the numbers and images. And I never clean it either (maybe car washes do it? :), so I don’t believe inside dust is a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its still part of the text on the package in the norwegian configurator.

Its not on the equipment list in my contract alone. It only says live cockpit pro.
Should they go so far as to pull this i would go all in on cancelling my order without paying the cancellation fee. Unacceptable to buy a car without this feature to me. Its way to big thing for them to get away with pulling without breaking the contract.

Maybe they will try to get away with it for people that reserved it in other countries, but in Norway they only sold the cars and made people sign the dotted line on sales contracts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ordered Live Cockpit Professional only because of the Head-Up Display and Live Cockpit is listed on the parts list of my order. The configurator at the time of order and the options list pdf I downloaded has Head-Up Display as part of Live Cockpit Pro. So I expect to get a car with a Head-Up Display.

If BMW for some reason is not able to deliver it would be unfortunate and I think that I would have the right to cancel or change the order without cost. And I can't imagine that there are many countries where it is different.

I would still order the car, but I would not include Live Cockpit Pro any more.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts