BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As I see it, 0-200 is done in 13 seconds.

As comparison:
Taycan Turbo S: 9 sec
Audi E-Tron GT RS: 10.5 sec
Taycan 4S: 13.1 sec
Tesla Model 3 performance : 13.6 sec
Audi E-Tron GT: 13.6 sec

And which petrol cars do we have around the 13 sec mark?

Audi TT RS Coupe12.9-0.1
BMW X5 M Competition13.0-0.0
Lamborghini Gallardo13.0 s
Audi S8 (D5)13.0+0.0
BMW M2 CS (F87)13.0+0.0
911 Turbo Cabriolet13.1+0.1
Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI13.1+0.1

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
239 Posts
As I see it, 0-200 is done in 13 seconds.

As comparison:
Taycan Turbo S: 9 sec
Audi E-Tron GT RS: 10.5 sec
Taycan 4S: 13.1 sec
Tesla Model 3 performance : 13.6 sec
Audi E-Tron GT: 13.6 sec

And which petrol cars do we have around the 13 sec mark?

Audi TT RS Coupe12.9-0.1
BMW X5 M Competition13.0-0.0
Lamborghini Gallardo13.0 s
Audi S8 (D5)13.0+0.0
BMW M2 CS (F87)13.0+0.0
911 Turbo Cabriolet13.1+0.1
Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI13.1+0.1
Great comparison! Taycan 4s and etron Gt performance at much lower price, great value.

·
Registered
29 Posts
And to remind us that there are also fast cars, if that is your thing:
Model S Plaid 6.2 s
Rimac Nevera 5,2 s

It seems that the the power increase from 500 bhp to 1000 bhp really does make a difference. But increase from 1000 bhp to 1900 bhp does not add a lot of value.

A nice lesson to learn: 1000 bhp seems to be the sweet spot for family sedan. Audi, BMW and M-B, please do make an effort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely seems to be at, if not a touch under, 13s 0-200. Also appears to be faster than the 3.9s 0-100 that is quoted in their specs. Will be happy if this confirms my hope that it is on par with, if not exceeding the straight line specs of the model 3 performance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also measured slightly under four seconds from the video. Truth to be told, whether or not it is 0,1 seconds faster or slower than the model 3, matters only for the brand image. In my opinion these 500 bhp EV:s are quick enough for the traffic. Real life performance in traffic lights and overtakings under speed limits is just great. That said, in German autobahns you probably can enjoy from the 1000+ bhp.

Definitely seems to be at, if not a touch under, 13s 0-200. Also appears to be faster than the 3.9s 0-100 that is quoted in their specs. Will be happy if this confirms my hope that it is on par with, if not exceeding the straight line specs of the model 3 performance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1000hp cars was such a nutty concept 10 years ago. Now its all of a sudden something ppl feel they need in a family car😂

All things aside i think its better to not have 1000hp if you are going to be using the car as a daily driver and want it to last for a while. The reason why there is little performance change between 1000 and 1900hp is that its at the limit at such an extent that you are limited by tires /suspension etc. It may become expensive if you constantly put your tires, chassis and drivetrain at the limits of physics on red lights every day.. 😄

Looking at car ads of 2012- teslas in Norway, where they sold alot back then with 100-200k KM most of them had both engine changes and battery changes. Some that give detail on reason says its because of imbalance in the engines etc something that is probably caused by the high torque load on bearings etc in the engine caused by alot of quick accelrations. Wonder how the plaid will hold up. Not to mention the bmw electric motors ofc..😄

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wonder why it cuts at 225…? The way it reaches the 225 it seems that has still lots of power left… the iX50 with almost the same power and probably the exact? same engines cuts abruptly at 200…

What do you think is behind this? Overheating issues? Battery hyper drain and lost of range? I believe I saw somewhere that Teslas don’t keep max speed (250/260) for much time.

well for the i4 certainly is not stability, tyres or chassis limitations…

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wonder why it cuts at 225…? The way it reaches the 225 it seems that has still lots of power left… the iX50 with almost the same power and probably the exact? same engines cuts abruptly at 200…

What do you think is behind this? Overheating issues? Battery hyper drain and lost of range? I believe I saw somewhere that Teslas don’t keep max speed (250/260) for much time.

well for the i4 certainly is not stability, tyres or chassis limitations…
My best bet is a combination of several things. On the technical side, it is to reduce wear on the motor, as it might get closer to the max revs it was designed for. Then there is the political / environmental side, where (even electric) 225 km/h should suffice. Lastly, BMW has done this for many years. My 335i is also limited (at +- 255), even though it has plenty of power to continue accelerating. My old 320d was limited at 220 where acceleration suddenly stopped.

But perhaps it will be possible to unlock it in the future.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I thought it would be like this, since it has high weight but higher power than several of its competitors. Seems like it’s plenty fast, and any overtaking uphill with a loaded car should be a breeze.
Takes me back to my 740i, it would just… breeze past cars without even implying a sweat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My best bet is a combination of several things. On the technical side, it is to reduce wear on the motor, as it might get closer to the max revs it was designed for. Then there is the political / environmental side, where (even electric) 225 km/h should suffice. Lastly, BMW has done this for many years. My 335i is also limited (at +- 255), even though it has plenty of power to continue accelerating. My old 320d was limited at 220 where acceleration suddenly stopped.

But perhaps it will be possible to unlock it in the future.
Maybe via a remote software update :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
In this video of m3p cruising in German highway, Bjorn explains that it tops at 233 and the installation of the rear spoiler is needed to unlock the 261. So sw update for max speed is actually a reality on these type of cars! He mentions several times overheating / max power limitations concerns and he doesn’t stay flat out much time

·
Registered
57 Posts
The top speed will be something for the Tesla fanboys to cling to in the coming months :)

I don’t live in Germany & unless I do a track day (and I have no plans to) it’s not a number I’ll ever be seeing on my dashboard, so it doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts