BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today test drove the i4 M50. Part of the test drive I tested the 100km/h efficiency, level surface, highway, almost no wind today, 7c, dry road. I also compared it to my iX3 on the way back.

i4 M50 (car already warmed up and at highway speed when measurement started)
- 17kwh/100km

iX3 (car warmed up and at highway speed at measurement start as well)
- 17.8kwh/100km

i4 M50 is ~5% more efficient at 100kmh at today's conditions.
Probably it is even more efficient (% wise) at higher speeds though. It also has about 5% more net battery capacity. So all in all you'd go at least 10% further in the i4M50 than iX3 traveling 100kmh at these temperatures (7c) and probably the gap widens at higher speeds.

Regarding i4 M50 vs i4 40 experience (I test drove both now), I'd lean towards i4 40 being much more a fun car, especially in twisty / country roads, taking sharp turns at speed. i4 M50 feels much bulkier, heavier, like it's built on "rails". Also it kills almost all torque if you try to accelerate in a turn (probably for your safety), resuming power only after you're going in a straight line again. This was in Sport Plus mode, I didn't go as far as to disable stabilization etc. Unfortunately if I change my i4 M50 to i4 40 now it will be Q4 2022 delivery, so sticking with M50. But trust me, RWD i4 40 is a more fun car (besides straight line acceleration of course).

P.S. I didn't quite understand whether i4 M50 is able to decouple one of the motors coasting, when pressing accelerator full power definitely available immediately. Consumption does hint that it might be decoupling one of the motors though.

See screenshots below.
Motor vehicle Car Steering part Automotive design Mode of transport

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
If you get a consumption of only 17kWh, you must have been very careful. That's less than BMW writes in their specs...
480km...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get a consumption of only 17kWh, you must have been very careful. That's less than BMW writes in their specs...
480km...
correct. as explained, this is measured in an already preheated car and already at highway speed, then starting to measure. essentially this shows your expected range traveling at a constant 100 kmh (or 62mph). So in reality you will have less range traveling proper highway speed (and getting to the highway etc), on the flipside - you will have more range on an 80kmh country road.

Some notes:
  • the car did have an M-Spoiler
  • 19"

So on 18" with no M-Spoiler you could squeeze out a bit more efficiency

·
Registered
75 Posts
The relative difference between the i4 and iX3 means much more to me than the absolute figure.

As BMW claims, the 40 should do 590km, the M50 521km. Difference of 13%. A total of 5% larger battery * 5% less consumption * 13% is 24% better range than the iX3. The differences need to be multiplied, not just summarized.

What is the real average range for the iX3?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The relative difference between the i4 and iX3 means much more to me than the absolute figure.

As BMW claims, the 40 should do 590km, the M50 521km. Difference of 13%. A total of 5% larger battery * 5% less consumption * 13% is 24% better range than the iX3. The differences need to be multiplied, not just summarized.

If you want i4 40 results its just much better to test the i4 40 directly than cross compare to M50 and iX3 :)
I can tell you that while I didn't screenshot it, it was showing very similar consumption at 100kmh, not below 17kwh driving 100 exactly. Weather was about same - 5c or so when I tested it 2 weeks ago. That's why I even consider whether m50 decouples one motor when coasting / going permanent speed on highway.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts

We have to keep in mind that the 480 km was with 7 celcius outside so 580 km would be feasable at 20 celcius. It's a very good news.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have to keep in mind that the 480 km was with 7 celcius outside so 580 km would be feasable at 20 celcius. It's a very good news.
speaking of which, I realize it was 6c even at 10AM, it was 7c when testing in the iX3 (since it was an hour later or so). Summer 20-22c should be probably around 16.5kwh. Not sure how you arrive at 580km however, 84kw gross, 80.9kw net, assuming you drive it down to 0 calculation is then 80.9/0.165 = 490km range. Consumption will not drop much, as I said - car was preheated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

Great comparison with ix3 - looking good for the i4.

ix3 range has been tested in Norway :

450 km - Rekkevidde for testbil* (WLTP)

556.2 km - sommeren 2021

432 km vinteren 2021

Consumption :

19 kWt/100km - Testbilens forbruk* kWh/100km

13.3 kWt/100km -sommeren 2021

17 kWt/100km- vinteren 2021

More or less same technology i i4M50 - (and my understanding front motor disabled when not needed / usually)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

Great comparison with ix3 - looking good for the i4.

ix3 range has been tested in Norway :

450 km - Rekkevidde for testbil* (WLTP)

556.2 km - sommeren 2021

432 km vinteren 2021

Consumption :

19 kWt/100km - Testbilens forbruk* kWh/100km

13.3 kWt/100km -sommeren 2021

17 kWt/100km- vinteren 2021

More or less same technology i i4M50 - (and my understanding front motor disabled when not needed / usually)
I read this test a while back, never got 13.3kwh in the summer, perhaps its because in Norway they drive 90kmh instead of 100? (at least Bjorn does in his tests). Best I got in the iX3 was around 16-17kwh in the summer on 100kmh flat stretches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read this test a while back, never got 13.3kwh in the summer, perhaps its because in Norway they drive 90kmh instead of 100? (at least Bjorn does in his tests). Best I got in the iX3 was around 16-17kwh in the summer on 100kmh flat stretches.
Normally less than 90 kmh, but a lot of uphill and downhill. The most interesting thing about this test is that BMW iX3 is the greatest overperformer (in summer) compared with official WLTP. (and this is a test with all cars at the same time) :

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Normally less than 90 kmh, but a lot of uphill and downhill. The most interesting thing about this test is that BMW iX3 is the greatest overperformer (in summer) compared with official WLTP. (and this is a test with all cars at the same time) :

Yeah indeed, I remember this was a pleasant surprise. So in any event, the new i4 (both variants) will do even better, so range wise I am not concerned at all.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Regarding i4 M50 vs i4 40 experience (I test drove both now), I'd lean towards i4 40 being much more a fun car, especially in twisty / country roads, taking sharp turns at speed. i4 M50 feels much bulkier, heavier, like it's built on "rails". Also it kills almost all torque if you try to accelerate in a turn (probably for your safety), resuming power only after you're going in a straight line again. This was in Sport Plus mode, I didn't go as far as to disable stabilization etc. Unfortunately if I change my i4 M50 to i4 40 now it will be Q4 2022 delivery, so sticking with M50. But trust me, RWD i4 40 is a more fun car (besides straight line acceleration of course).
All this I like!
Except the Q4 2022. It could make sense e40 to have a larger percentage of production, so the delivery to be sooner.
I guess you meant that your order will be considered from this day? instead of you initial order of the M50?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All this I like!
Except the Q4 2022. It could make sense e40 to have a larger percentage of production, so the delivery to be sooner.
I guess you meant that your order will be considered from this day? instead of you initial order of the M50?
Correct. Also the other dealer (where I actually test drove the car) stated the same - Q4 2022, so October earliest if you change the order / place new order

·
Registered
813 Posts
Correct. Also the other dealer (where I actually test drove the car) stated the same - Q4 2022, so October earliest if you change the order / place new order
Are they gonna get any cars in their dealership other than those that customers have ordered?

I had bought brand new cars twice that they were "waiting" in the customs/borders. (The dealer for my own configuration pushed early the day for 3-4 months and I cancelled to get a very similar that it was available almost immediately)
What I mean is of course the absolute best is to configure exactly the car you want but if there is a nice i4 e40 waiting I might go for that even if it slightly (more or less) different.

I haven't place my order yet because I'm waiting to see/drive the car.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
Looks you did 16-17 kmh in summer with the ix3 and you test the i4 40 at 17 kwh with 7 celcius so I could estimate about 14 kwh in summer for about 570 km with ecomode and the i4 has better coefficient. Of course it's not something that you could reach all the time because many factors will affect the range.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
434 Posts
Thanks for the review.
I get good range in my Kona at 100km but I rarely do that.
For comparison I just did a 89km hwy trip 4c. I'm tired today, so just avg 110kmh and hardly passed anyone and got
15.7kwh/100km. I know it's apples to oranges but a comparison.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
All considered, I also should have a very decent average. The so-called daily commute to work is 60km.
I start at home, drive about 400m, and then turn right to go on an expressway. 1.5km later I'm on the freeway. After 55km I get off the freeway to drive another 2.5 to 3 km to get to the office. So in total about 60km. If I'm not doing too many crazy things with my right foot, I guess I'll have a very good avarage.
It's the traffic jams that are disastrous for the milage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts