BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to the BMW press release, the car tugs at the reins when using launch control.

A Launch Control function is included in the new BMW i4. Activating it allows the driver to accelerate with optimum traction with the accelerator pressed to the floor. Torque oscillations when stationary indicate that the drive system is ready for ‘launch’, at which point the full combined output is instantly made available.

·
Registered
122 Posts
According to the BMW press release, the car tugs at the reins with using launch control.

A Launch Control function is included in the new BMW i4. Activating it allows the driver to accelerate with optimum traction with the accelerator pressed to the floor. Torque oscillations when stationary indicate that the drive system is ready for ‘launch’, at which point the full combined output is instantly made available.
Thank you, @rusky_i4 - that explains it! I suppose the negative implication is also true - i.e., that there's no "tugging" or oscillations when Launch Control is not enabled. It just seemed like an odd movement that would, if part of daily stop-and-go driving, drive anyone nuts.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
464 Posts
According to the BMW press release, the car tugs at the reins when using launch control.

It Also says DRY Pavement too.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
#i4mn - The launch control is activated by setting Sport Boost, then pushing hard on the brake and the accelerator at the same time, then releasing the brake within 3 seconds. So it's a fun demo to do, it may be useful for drag races where you can plan the launch time, but a bit more difficult for red lights derbies (not that anybody in this forum would engage in such foolish games), and I'm actually not sure it is useful at all because no electrical "preparation" really can happen during 3 seconds. I think that feature is to ease the mind of ICE drivers which DO need to bring the engine RPM up before engaging the transmission. Most of the time, I think you would simply mash the accelerator, and though there will still be a third or half-second delay while the induction motor energize (which is not required in a Tesla because they use permanent magnets), the car would just plow ahead. The road does seem a bit damp which explain the wheel slip but the car stayed completely straight and launched efficiently, though I'm sure that you would feel unsettling lightness in the steering due to the front end unloading.
Very nice video, clearly demonstrates what happens on a full-on launch. Thank you @ClayCalloway for posting!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
60 Posts
IMO Launch Control is a useless feature. I’ve used it twice in my 420d Gran Coupe and never on my 435i Gran Coupe. It’s annoying to set up and, with an ICE car at least, the car will be “chomping at the bit” until you let it go.

That makes it useless for any real world use, i.e. sprinting away from a stoplight. The 435i is fast enough without messing about with Launch Control and I’m sure the i4 M50 is too.

The “chomping at the bit” might well be what’s happening on that video, although I’m not sure what the equivalent of revving is for an electric motor. Keeping the motor energized as @MinhSATx says?

P.S. I’m not sure it’s a European, Dutch or me thing, but I like stoplight sprints and I think enough people do. But when I did the same thing in rentals on business trips in the US, my American colleagues were a little shocked. 🤔

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
464 Posts
IMO Launch Control is a useless feature. I’ve used it twice in my 420d Gran Coupe and never on my 435i Gran Coupe. It’s annoying to set up and, with an ICE car at least, the car will be “chomping at the bit” until you let it go.

That makes it useless for any real world use, i.e. sprinting away from a stoplight. The 435i is fast enough without messing about with Launch Control and I’m sure the i4 M50 is too.

The “chomping at the bit” might well be what’s happening on that video, although I’m not sure what the equivalent of revving is for an electric motor. Keeping the motor energized as @MinhSATx says?

P.S. I’m not sure it’s a European, Dutch or me thing, but I like stoplight sprints and I think enough people do. But when I did the same thing in rentals on business trips in the US, my American colleagues were a little shocked. 🤔
Well here in Ontario, Canada spinning out here at a stoplight and it easily lands ya a Stunt Driving charge and then ones insurance skyrockets.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't do it at every street lights, but I do enjoy it especially when provoked (like when the guy in the other late revs up his engine or inches forward before the light go green). Even my wife does that. I think anybody that tells you that they never do that is either lying or should take up knitting as their prime hobby. This being said, there is a viral video of a lady driving an ICE SUV, who was actually trying to turn left from a lane on the right, and when the Tesla showed her that she had no chance, she got out of her car at the next traffic light, and went and spit on the Tesla (and was recorded by Tesla's cameras). There are crazy people everywhere, but I think some Americans are less respectful of other people's rights than would any European I know.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Wouldn’t you just shoot them in that case, in the US?
In Texas, you are allowed to shoot somebody only if they came uninvited into your property, or they stole something from you and you are trying to get it back. In Florida and some other states, they added the "stand your ground" clause where you can shoot somebody for trying to prevent you from doing something or going somewhere that is within your rights (I'm simplifying, but barely). :ROFLMAO:
Trigger Air gun Wood Font Machine gun

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Like if you have a slow French car in front of you in traffic, you can shoot them
Actually, I re-checked the "Stand your ground" law - it actually says when you face a threat to your safety, health, life or even property in some jurisdictions, you are under no obligation to back off, you can shoot the "attacker" instead. So somebody spitting on you with Covid going around could actually qualify, but shooting a slow driver is a bit much - though we also have a secret weapon, "lawyers that will argue anything" if you pay them enough. The Wild Wild West was invented here! :ROFLMAO:

·
895 Posts
I’m not sure it’s a European, Dutch or me thing, but I like stoplight sprints and I think enough people do.
I love them too, but not the way you like them. I love it just to be first away. When the lights turn green, I always try to have the fastest reaction. If I see my car moving forward as the 1st, I'm already happy. At 58 I want to show those young brats I can still be fast. High-performance cars will outrun me anyway. 192HP is not enough to compete with fast Beemers, Tesla's, Porsche's, or those new Hybrids....Besides, I'm suffering from Turbo-lag anyway.

·
895 Posts
Like if you have a slow French car in front of you in traffic, you can shoot them
In the US, more people are killed by guns than by cars...sad...very sad...
38k by cars,... and 40k by guns

1 - 17 of 17 Posts