BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
BMW i4 M50 Dravit Grey
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I read most reviews from this forum and watch most reviews from YT, however I don't think I found a single review talking about the range with the 20" 862 wheels.
Am I correct?
Any of you might have a link of such a review or maybe a real life test drive?

BMW says 488km WLTP (which is 50km more than the 20" 868 M sport and only 25km less than the 18").
In theory, the 862 are a nice comprise between looks and range. This is the reason I chose these. However, I don't see them very often in reviews.
Thoughts?

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
2,250 Posts
That depends on the width of the tires. If for instance you take the 868M wheels they have a width of 285mm on the back tires and that means they are wider than the i4 body. And that's illegal in I think most countries. Therefore BMW added some sort op "lip" to solve that problem.
Maybe you can buy that lip as an addition to your 868Ms...,

Reactions: Batmobile

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 862 20” don’t need the lip?

That depends on the width of the tires. If for instance you take the 868M wheels they have a width of 275mm on the back tires and that means they are wider than the i4 body. And that's illegal in I think most countries. Therefore BMW added some sort op "lip" to solve that problem.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If I order a car with 19” tires, will 20” still fit if I get them later? (someone mentioned a while ago that the structure of the car around the wheel area may be different for 20”)
The 862i wheels are 20x8.5et35, 20x9et42; no need for rear fender flares to properly fit inside the fenders. You can see it in the photo above.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That depends on the width of the tires. If for instance you take the 868M wheels they have a width of 275mm on the back tires and that means they are wider than the i4 body. And that's illegal in I think most countries. Therefore BMW added some sort op "lip" to solve that problem.
The fender lip is required not because of the width of the rear 275 tires of the 868m wheels, but because of the 39 offset of the rear 10” 868m wheels. Alpina runs 285-20 tires in 10” wheels in their B4 Grand Coupe without flares, but the wheels have an offset of 50, or 11mm more inside the fenders than the 868m.

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille

·
2,250 Posts
Well, you're right, but so am I...hehehe....The fact that the tires are so wide they exceed the width of the car, is why there is that famous lip. If the tire were only 245 wide, but with a placement more to the outside, you would also need a lip... right?
So, small offset of large offset, if the tires exceed the width of the car, you will need that lip. All depends on how the rimes are made.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well, you're right, but so am I...hehehe....The fact that the tires are so wide they exceed the width of the car, is why there is that famous lip. If the tire were only 245 wide, but with a placement more to the outside, you would also need a lip... right?
You can fit 285 tires in the rear without fender flares, and they will not poke unless the offset of the 10” wheel is aggressive (40 and below). See above.

·
2,250 Posts
Right! exactly what I mean, but without using the word offset :ROFLMAO:
My ex-bro in law once (looooong time ago) wanted to be smart someday, and he turned the wheels in side out. In the back that was no problem, but in the front, the wheels touched the chassis, with the result that he could not make a proper turn...

·
Registered
BMW i4 M50 Dravit Grey
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting discussion. I wonder why they are not an option in the US (and I am guessing maybe in some other countries too?).
Maybe that’s why we don’t see them a lot in reviews… it’s a shame because as I mentioned, they seem to offer a good compromise between looks and performance (at least on paper).
In conclusion, nobody knows anything about their range?

·
Registered
BMW i4 M50 Dravit Grey
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those interested, I finally found a review (in French) with the 862 20" wheels.
The range seems impressive : more than 500km. Anyway, happy with my choice... can't wait to finally drive this beast!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts