BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reservation for an M3P, however intrigued by the I4 M50. Just feel a little disappointed in the projected 0-60 time of 3.9s, and 140 MPH top speed vs Model 3P 3.3 seconds and 161 MPH.

Please tell me BMW is going to improve those numbers, then I'll switch!!!

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
17 Posts
I have a reservation for an M3P, however intrigued by the I4 M50. Just feel a little disappointed in the projected 0-60 time of 3.9s, and 140 MPH top speed vs Model 3P 3.3 seconds and 161 MPH.

The cops must love you. Around my neck of the woods, they see ya doing 0-60 under 4secs and your getting a stunt driving charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cops must love you. Around my neck of the woods, they see ya doing 0-60 under 4secs and your getting a stunt driving charge.
😄😄Actually not yet, driving a Chevy Bolt now until I can sell it (wish me luck). I just want the specs to match the M3P so I can brag about it!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those 0-60 numbers are not really comparable in the first place. Tesla markets with a rollout while BMW numbers are from a standstill. And BMW tends to be quite conservative about the numbers, running faster in real road conditions .. while that other guy .. oh well, no comments about that.

So, all I'm saying I wouldnt be surprised if carwow does a test and 0-60 is matched between these two. But more likely Tesla has got like a 0.1 sec edge.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those 0-60 numbers are not really comparable in the first place. Tesla markets with a rollout while BMW numbers are from a standstill. And BMW tends to be quite conservative about the numbers, running faster in real road conditions .. while that other guy .. oh well, no comments about that.

So, all I'm saying I wouldnt be surprised if carwow does a test and 0-60 is matched between these two. But more likely Tesla has got like a 0.1 sec edge.
I really hope they make a head to head drag race between the Model 3 and i4! Will be fun to watch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the answers so far, I'm trying to get my head wrapped around that roll out. I'm not a pro, but I'll get there. Still waiting for an answer from my BMW dealer about final top speed numbers, if they're capable of being honest..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have to ask. Does it really matter?
It does to "crazy" people like myself..I want to find out my limits. Why do people go on rollercoasters, or white water rapids, or skydive? Same reason, for the experience. How fast I can take the car in a straight line on a closed track without getting scared? That's why they make cars with this much power..I doubt I'm the only one who wants to know..

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you want to track it, I’d most definitely go with the M3 or M4 if you can afford it.
This will carry a lot of weight, 400kg more than the model 3. It’s got a good straight line performance. Electric cars without gears will be limited in the top range too, that’s why the Taycan has two gears.
a used Tesla p100d can be a lot of fun, I had one for a weekend to do face melting 0-100 runs, but that quickly wears off as a novelty.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How fast I can take the car in a straight line on a closed track without getting scared?
Over here we are lucky enough to have German Autobahn. So I have done up to 270 km/u in a straight line. And I can tell you that in modern cars like the i4 and it's predecessors it is not a frightening experience. Very stable and enormous stopping power if required. If you are looking for thrills try the Stelvio pass, the Nurburgring or the Trollstigen. All in Europe but there must be something similar in Canada. If you are looking for the ultimate thrill leave the i4 at home and find yourself a 50's or 60's roadster. Let's find out how late you dare to brake while descending the Stelvio.

Straight line speed is just boring.

Reactions: XtBimmer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Over here we are lucky enough to have German Autobahn. So I have done up to 270 km/u in a straight line. And I can tell you that in modern cars like the i4 and it's predecessors it is not a frightening experience. Very stable and enormous stopping power if required. If you are looking for thrills try the Stelvio pass, the Nurburgring or the Trollstigen. All in Europe but there must be something similar in Canada. If you are looking for the ultimate thrill leave the i4 at home and find yourself a 50's or 60's roadster. Let's find out how late you dare to brake while descending the Stelvio.

Straight line speed is just boring.
Thanks for that reply Hans, verry entertaining answer! I would probably be terrified in the twisties!

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
Bear in mind that 3.9s is faster than the new m3/m4 (4.2s). In i4 you would get the sound experience which could be something that enhances the acceleration experience (let’s see). I test drove a m3p and although it feels very quick launching it lacks some excitement due to lack of engine noise. And at high speed there is a lot of unpleasant wind and tire noise. I have a 640d with does around 5.5s and I think i did around 5 to 8 max power launch starts, most with friends for the fun. In the city is dangerous and in the road usually you don’t stop and go. I also feel that 0-100 max power is a high stretch for the car. Much more fun to floor it from 50 - 70kmh and up it goes.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
17 Posts
Bear in mind that 3.9s is faster than the new m3/m4 (4.2s). In i4 you would get the sound experience which could be something that enhances the acceleration experience (let’s see). I test drove a m3p and although it feels very quick launching it lacks some excitement due to lack of engine noise. And at high speed there is a lot of unpleasant wind and tire noise. I have a 640d with does around 5.5s and I think i did around 5 to 8 max power launch starts, most with friends for the fun. In the city is dangerous and in the road usually you don’t stop and go. I also feel that 0-100 max power is a high stretch for the car. Much more fun to floor it from 50 - 70kmh and up it goes.
My first BMW I got was 3 yrs ago, a 08 335i convertible and it does 0-60 in about 5 secs and it's a blast to drive. Since then, last year I got a BMW K1600b motorcycle and then put Remus pipes on it, and now it sounds like a Ferrari.
I just kept thinking, I should have driven a BMW sooner in my life. Even though, I have a Kona EV, it lacks a driving experience and although I like Tesla Tech it lacks any personality when you are sitting in the driver's seat imo. I also favor Android Auto which Tesla lacks.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Not sure if .2 seconds is important to you but I believe the 0-60"MPH" is 3.7 seconds.

The 3.9 seconds figure is for 0-100"KMH".

Source: US I4 information site.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As others have said, Tesla is with a rollout so add 0.2 sec. BMW normally is on another hand usually 0.2 faster than spec (depending on the model and engine of course, but this happens more often than not). So if you consider BMW is actually 3.7 to 60mph and 3.9 to 100kmh, you could most likely achieve 3.5 to 60mph or about 3.7 to 100kmh; which means Tesla will have parity. Now don’t forget - this is on a high state of charge (>70%). M3P acceleration times decline rather rapidly on a <50% charge. So we will need to see how this profiling will be done by BMW as well. It might very well be that at a certain state of charge the i4 M50 will actually outperform the M3P. This could be the other way around as well though, so only time will tell. The essence of the story however is that you probably shouldn’t pick the car based on the 0-100 in this case at least, since it will be a close tie most likely.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Allthough I find this discussion rather theoratical and not relevant to our future daily life with an i4, I do think you should all get your numbers straight.

Official 0-100 km/h for the M50 is 3,9 seconds. We all agree.
But the Tesla Model 3 Performance is no less than 0,6 seconds faster according to official data. No rollouts when doing 0-100. So even if the i4 would be 0,2 faster than promised, there is still a gap of 0,4 seconds. Which makes sense, just compare the weight of these 2 vehicles.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gonna be interesting to see how the power is delivered. With a sports car, the fun is that it starts pulling at 4000 and it just grows and grows after redline. I think the fun feeling happens with growing power and torque. Once you pass 100km/h on in a Tesla, it starts ebbing and the acceleration decreases a lot. On an i3, I feel it starts pulling a bit later, that might have to do with stability and it’s bicycle tires.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I've had a Model 3 Performance for nearly 2 years and believe me you wouldn't want to be doing high speeds in a model 3 on a regular basis. It's very noisy, lots of road noise and wind noise around the top of the side windows at the front. This is one of the main reasons I'm moving to the i4. To confirm, the M3P 0-60 time does indeed include a 'rollout', and real word tests (See Bjorn Nyland's youtube channel) usually put it at around 3.4-3.5 seconds. So, as per previous posts, if the i4 real world is a little quicker than BMW quotes then the two cars are pretty much the same. You will not notice the difference. Also, BMW has said that they have designed their motors to carry on producing high torque levels further up the rev range - this is a good thing as the Tesla does tail off a bit performance wise at motorway speeds. The only thing I will say is that the Tesla doesn't have a 'sport/sport boost' mode - it's always on tap in the Tesla. The other thing to note is that the interior of the Tesla is nowhere near the same class as the BMW, it feels cheap by comparison.

To sum up my feelings on the M3P, the performace is stunning, the drivetrain is wonderful, but the car on top of it all could do with some improvement. The longer I have had it, the less enamoured I have become with it. That may be an age thing - I'm no longer young :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts