BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
No but I had that one, a Panamera and a 911 back to back. After an hour with the Tesla I just wanted to give it back. The Panamera was great quality but just a ticking time bomb in terms of overpriced maintenance and things that can go wrong. 911 was great but would have to be a second car because of the winters and some practicality. Kiind of regret not taking that one still, but let’s hope the logical part of my brain made the right choice.

·
Registered
272 Posts
the M3P 0-60 time does indeed include a 'rollout',
I am confused. What is a roll out when starting at zero km/h?
It makes sense to do a roll out when accelerating from 80-120 for example. Difference in my understanding that you start measuring when passing the 80 line but starting the acceleration at a lower speed. Another way of measuring would be to stay at a constant speed of 80 first and then start measuring once you step on the accelerator pedal, which would no doubt result in "slower" acceleration numbers.

I guess my definition of roll out is absolutely wrong?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am confused. What is a roll out when starting at zero km/h?
It makes sense to do a roll out when accelerating from 80-120 for example. Difference in my understanding that you start measuring when passing the 80 line but starting the acceleration at a lower speed. Another way of measuring would be to stay at a constant speed of 80 first and then start measuring once you step on the accelerator pedal, which would no doubt result in "slower" acceleration numbers.

I guess my definition of roll out is absolutely wrong?
You get wheels moving initially then start the count

·
Registered
272 Posts
You get wheels moving initially then start the count
So the difference is this:
  • with roll out, start measuring as soon as the car moves
  • without roll out, start measuring as soon as you put your foot down?
I can imagine that would make a difference of 0,1 to 0,2 seconds.
In my ears it all sounds like "who's got the longest" :sleep:

·
Registered
125 Posts
The term "rollout" comes from drag racing, which might already give you an idea of its consumer relevance or lack thereof. At a drag strip, runs are started when a vehicle's front tire crosses the timing beam that determines the start of the race. From the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to that beam, the car will cover an additional foot (technically 11.5 inches) before the front tire's trailing edge "rolls out" of the beam. In a drag race, the timer starts at the rollout point, hence the term.

In other words, rollout gives the car a running start — it's already moving when the clock starts ticking. How much does this matter? Typically, that initial foot takes about 0.3 second to traverse, and the car is already going 3 to 5 mph when the timer starts. So if you're using rollout, you're technically not running a 0-60 test.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another thing to consider is braking. The brakes on the M3P are not great. Spongy, lacking in bite and in my view not up to the job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had a Model 3 Performance for nearly 2 years and believe me you wouldn't want to be doing high speeds in a model 3 on a regular basis. It's very noisy, lots of road noise and wind noise around the top of the side windows at the front. This is one of the main reasons I'm moving to the i4. To confirm, the M3P 0-60 time does indeed include a 'rollout', and real word tests (See Bjorn Nyland's youtube channel) usually put it at around 3.4-3.5 seconds. So, as per previous posts, if the i4 real world is a little quicker than BMW quotes then the two cars are pretty much the same. You will not notice the difference. Also, BMW has said that they have designed their motors to carry on producing high torque levels further up the rev range - this is a good thing as the Tesla does tail off a bit performance wise at motorway speeds. The only thing I will say is that the Tesla doesn't have a 'sport/sport boost' mode - it's always on tap in the Tesla. The other thing to note is that the interior of the Tesla is nowhere near the same class as the BMW, it feels cheap by comparison.

To sum up my feelings on the M3P, the performace is stunning, the drivetrain is wonderful, but the car on top of it all could do with some improvement. The longer I have had it, the less enamoured I have become with it. That may be an age thing - I'm no longer young :)
Though I'm not a Tesla owner, I totally agree with you. Except the performance, you cannot feel that Tesla is a luxury car. I had experienced the test drive from Tesla Model S, model 3, to Model X. The 1st time I experienced test drive on Tesla is on Model S P100, the acceleration is amazing fast. The 2nd time was on a Model 3, I felt that it soon got noisy. The 3rd time was on Model X. I'm not so interested in driving a Tesla anymore. I directly asked the sales rep. to drive and I sat in the 2nd row to feel its space and comfort till the last 5 minutes. Yet, when I drove Model X, I could not feel its value. I felt that I was driving an entry level car like Skoda or Honda when I looked into its interior design. Afterward, I've studied some videos on youtube. The measured noise
figures on Model 3 is even worse than Nissan Tidda. But, the price of Model 3 is almost 2.5 times to a Nissan Tiida in Taiwan.
Font Pattern Parallel Number Monochrome

·
Registered
125 Posts
It’s not just overall noise levels, it’s also that annoying wind noise from the window, and the fact that on anything but really smooth roads the tyre noise is way too much.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It’s not just overall noise levels, it’s also that annoying wind noise from the window, and the fact that on anything but really smooth roads the tyre noise is way too much.
I really hope the i4 will be better 😁🙏🏻
Last saturday a sales person at BMW told me that many people are reluctant to buy now before actually seeing and driving the car. It felt like he was complimenting me for being such a dare devil 👹

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
40 Posts
I really hope the i4 will be better 😁🙏🏻
Last saturday a sales person at BMW told me that many people are reluctant to buy now before actually seeing and driving the car. It felt like he was complimenting me for being such a dare devil 👹
There are also advantages to being an early adopter. I've had my Kona EV for over 2.5yrs and a majority of my charging on the road has been free but the disadvantage has been getting caught up in the batterygate with the defective batteries. Fortunately after major complaining I got the battery replaced last week. I will say before the replacement there hadn't been much battery degradation in the Kona EV battery.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Though I'm not a Tesla owner, I totally agree with you. Except the performance, you cannot feel that Tesla is a luxury car. I had experienced the test drive from Tesla Model S, model 3, to Model X. The 1st time I experienced test drive on Tesla is on Model S P100, the acceleration is amazing fast. The 2nd time was on a Model 3, I felt that it soon got noisy. The 3rd time was on Model X. I'm not so interested in driving a Tesla anymore. I directly asked the sales rep. to drive and I sat in the 2nd row to feel its space and comfort till the last 5 minutes. Yet, when I drove Model X, I could not feel its value. I felt that I was driving an entry level car like Skoda or Honda when I looked into its interior design. Afterward, I've studied some videos on youtube. The measured noise
figures on Model 3 is even worse than Nissan Tidda. But, the price of Model 3 is almost 2.5 times to a Nissan Tiida in Taiwan.
View attachment 1502
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience.

What's your take on Tesla's build quality compared to BMW?
If BMW keeps up its EV push, how likely are you to ditch Tesla?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience.

What's your take on Tesla's build quality compared to BMW?
If BMW keeps up its EV push, how likely are you to ditch Tesla?
First of all, I'm already a BMW owner. I like the dynamic feedback this brand gives me. I always feel that a phrase could explain this-texturally fast.
Hence, if there is a chance to switch my car, BMW is definitely my priority. For me, currently, the only advantage of Tesla is that this brand builds lots
of superchargers and they're rapidly expanding.For me, as my house is capable of installing a charger, to have an EV is not an big obstacle for me. Hence,
Tesla's merit in superchargers is not a big issue for me. Hence, I will prefer to purchase a BMW EV. Comparing Tesla's build quality to BMW, one obvious
difference is its noise controlling performance. You cannot feel that its price is so closed to luxury brands but the noise is at the same level with Nissan, Honda.
Besides, its interior looks cheap than what we could feel from other brands.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts