BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(Happy new year everyone) about the braking, the m50 has of course the m sport brakes but I鈥檓 interested to see the mortal e40. It would be interesting to compare it to 0-100 with the long range Tesla 3.

Registered
It is somewhat hilarious that for months there have been lots and lots of writing about the acceleration difference between Model3P and i4M50. Often verbs "destroys" and "crushes" have been attached.. Now that we have facts everyone can see what the not-wearing-tesla-glasses people been seeing the whole time.

I am not suprised one bit if the range difference (315 vs. 270) ends up exactly the same way once we get actual test between these two.

Registered
They say that Tesla model 3 performance usally does 1/4 mile in 11.7" so it must be faster all around.

Breaking test was a little bit of let-down because these were supposed to be the bigger breaks/disks.
Probably the lighter e40 with the same red brakes will be better, but what about e40 with the regular brakes?
I wish he mentioned the actual breaking distance to have a crude at least measure to compare in different videos.

Registered
The Tesla in this test is a "prepared" Tesla with aerodynamic and cosmetic add-ons, so I would not be surprised if it did not have the factory tires but stickier performance tires instead. That would make a huge difference in braking distances.

Registered
It would be nice if Matt was keeping a 1/4 mile and 0-60 and breaking test spreadsheet like Bjorn.
He has a wealth of data from so many drag races and reviews with his little gadget.

What I don't understand, on paper* the Tesla is better in almost everything, it should be ahead by a few tens of seconds

*these data are for classical models

M50M3PM3P vs M50
hp
544​
490​
Nm
795​
660​
kg
2215​
1847​
hp/kg
0,25​
0,27​
+8%​
Nm/kg
0,36​
0,36​
=​
drag coeff (C)
0,25​
0,23​
front surface (S)
2,33​
2,22​
CxS
0,58​
0,51​
-12%​

Registered
What I don't understand, on paper* the Tesla is better in almost everything, it should be ahead by a few tens of seconds

*these data are for classical models

M50M3PM3P vs M50
hp
544​
490​
Nm
795​
660​
kg
2215​
1847​
hp/kg
0,25​
0,27​
+8%​
Nm/kg
0,36​
0,36​
=​
drag coeff (C)
0,25​
0,23​
front surface (S)
2,33​
2,22​
CxS
0,58​
0,51​
-12%​
The Tesla model in the video has a lot of useless aero parts glued on. It may change the outcome

Registered
I was also going to post this video. I was a bit surprised at the result. with the 0-60 times being ~0.5s apart, it's obvious the raw horsepower of the M50 lets it catch up at higher speeds. All this really means that in terms of 1/4 mile times, the cars are about as even as can be. It's not that the M50 is "faster" per se...that 0.1s is within average human reaction time, so those times are basically identical. What's interesting to me is that it seems to show that going from the Model 3 Perf to the M50, essentially your off the line performance goes from insane to slightly less insane (but still insane), and your highway overtaking acceleration goes from very good to great (or maybe great to greater?). Seems to me the straight line acceleration difference really isn't a difference. That means it's down to handling (M50 is heavier but hides it well apparently) and design. BMW wins on interior for me hands down, and I also prefer the big grille to no grille at all if I'm honest.

Registered
It鈥檚 so funny scrolling through the carwow comments to read all the a** hurt from the Tesla fanboys. Let鈥檚 be honest though, in terms of performance we鈥檙e splitting hairs over tenths of seconds. I imagine they will feel identical performance wise to the average human that drives them (arguably with too much performance for public roads). Being marginally quicker than the Tesla is not a selling point for me, it鈥檚 the superior build quality, interior quality etc. and overall just that BMW is a higher quality brand.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts