BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps the first thing that comes to mind is why are we buying an i4 when we have to deal with gravel roads. But...we're a likely buying an i4 and the car will in deed need to spend some of it's time on gavel. We will be having the entire car wrapped in stone guard of some kind and do plan to travel slowly when on these roads. Are there any other things we need to be considering? How well will this car handle gravel? Thoughts and advice appreciated.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
245 Posts
Perhaps the first thing that comes to mind is why are we buying an i4 when we have to deal with gravel roads. But...we're a likely buying an i4 and the car will in deed need to spend some of it's time on gavel. We will be having the entire car wrapped in stone guard of some kind and do plan to travel slowly when on these roads. Are there any other things we need to be considering? How well will this car handle gravel? Thoughts and advice appreciated.
Maybe it’s not the first thing in all countries :)

I would say that if in wet conditions the AWD of the m50 should be of great assistant in hilly ou muddy terrain.

If the surface is very uneven and with lots of holes the i4 might not be a good solution as it doesn’t raise the suspension, which is low and sporty.

For that maybe a Tesla Model S that raises the suspension or a proper SUV 4x4 (eg Audi Etron) might be a better choice for those environments.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yeah, ground clearance is a concern for me too. In the situations you describe and also ...sidewalks, since you might scratch the front in situations like this:
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah, ground clearance is a concern for me too. In the situations you describe and also ...sidewalks, since you might scratch the front in situations like this:
View attachment 1777
I’m curious to check that as well. My 6 series with M suspension is painfully low for city parking and already scratch or bump into the sidewalk in similar situations of diagonal or front parking. Garage entries in sidewalks is sometimes a problem too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it’s not the first thing in all countries :)

I would say that if in wet conditions the AWD of the m50 should be of great assistant in hilly ou muddy terrain.

If the surface is very uneven and with lots of holes the i4 might not be a good solution as it doesn’t raise the suspension, which is low and sporty.

For that maybe a Tesla Model S that raises the suspension or a proper SUV 4x4 (eg Audi Etron) might be a better choice for those environments.
Thanks J78...it's specifically the fact there will be rocks tossed around by the wheels I'm concerned about. Currently we're driving a 2012 mini countryman and the gravel destroyed the plastic paneling on the bottom of the car. We've replaced it with metal...my guess is that the i4 is already metal but are there other sensitive things under there we need to be concerned about...or perhaps it is far more protected underneath than an ICE vehicle to protect the battery?

·
Registered
245 Posts
:) not sure if someone can add much more at this stage. The i4 should have lower ground clearance than the Mini Countryman.
I would add - no worries on exhaust system and transmission but would be careful with battery damages - dependent on what type of protection it has. Here’s the i3 underbody

·
Registered
MB GLA
319 Posts
:) not sure if someone can add much more at this stage. The i4 should have lower ground clearance than the Mini Countryman.
I would add - no worries on exhaust system and transmission but would be careful with battery damages - dependent on what type of protection it has. Here’s the i3 underbody
Normally the electric cars have a full plastic protector under the car ( ex. Tesla, volks, Audi) to cover the motors and battery. I am not sure that the reviews next week will help to find out!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was looking for instance the new BMW 2 with the M package.
Look how low it seems to be.
And imagine if they were people inside with all that weight!

Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Tire

Even a "normal" sidewalk seems taller.
And in most situations are way taller.

Road surface Asphalt Brickwork Brick Building material

If you try to park in angle like this (very common where I live), it will definitely damage the front bumper. (Because always you try to get you car as forward as you can in narrow streets, not to have your tail too much in the road)

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you try to park in angle like this (very common where I live), it will definitely damage the front bumper. (Because always you try to get you car as forward as you can in narrow streets, not to have your tail too much in the road)

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Motor vehicle
Park your car with the rear towards the pavement. The rear seems to be higher.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Park your car with the rear towards the pavement. The rear seems to be higher.
I wish it was that simple Hans. If it is a road with traffic you don't have the luxury to pass by the space and maneuver in reverse.
You usually realise that there is an open space like 6 meters before and behind you is a horde of cars, so you just turn and take it.

Ground clearance isn't a must but it's good to have it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wish it was that simple Hans. If it is a road with traffic you don't have the luxury to pass by the space and maneuver in reverse.
You usually realise that there is an open space like 6 meters before and behind you is a horde of cars, so you just turn and take it.

Ground clearance isn't a must but it's good to have it.
I suspected that. I always try to park the car in the best place I can find. If necessary I will walk a bit further. I hate all these minor damages caused by high sidewalks or uncareful drivers throwing their doors against yours. If you ever happen to park your car next to mine, I guarantee you it will be safe :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks J78!...That's helpful for sure. I'm hopeful the battery protection on the i4 is aluminum as it is on the i3. The rest appears to be primarily spot welded sheet metal. I was a little surprised it wasn't smoother underneath than it is. wow...That guy's car is unbelievably clean

·
Registered
319 Posts
My plastic underplates also get regularly destroyed on winter roads, especially if there’s wheel tracks in the snow and then everything freezes. Costs about 300 euro to replace both of the front ones. With the i4 there is at least not an oil pan to worry about, but damaging the battery housing can be a problem.
I read in the local newspaper about a guy with an ipace that damaged the metal battery plate. Because of how the battery was put together it cost a horrifying 35 000 euro just to change the battery box. It was apparently caused by an improper jacking. This does not cover the cost of the battery, only the box. The reason given was an expensive thermal paste. I still don’t understand it quite. But glad I don’t have an iPace.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I read in the local newspaper about a guy with an ipace that damaged the metal battery plate. Because of how the battery was put together it cost a horrifying 35 000 euro just to change the battery box. It was apparently caused by an improper jacking. This does not cover the cost of the battery, only the box. The reason given was an expensive thermal paste. I still don’t understand it quite. But glad I don’t have an iPace.

Oh lovely, around half the price of the car for the repair! To bad you're typically not able to check under the car easily enough for those kind of damages...

Might want to put the phone on wide lens to record and drive over before and after a wheel change 😅

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My plastic underplates also get regularly destroyed on winter roads, especially if there’s wheel tracks in the snow and then everything freezes. Costs about 300 euro to replace both of the front ones. With the i4 there is at least not an oil pan to worry about, but damaging the battery housing can be a problem.

Looks like this guy really mucked up jacking up his car. That's a huge amount of weight to be trying to lift with the tiny footprint a jack would have. I think this is quit different than the damage that might be caused by gravel or snow. If the i4 just had plastic underplates like my mini, that might be a deal breaker because those don't stand up the gravel. I suspect though this won't be the case. Batteries need a lot more protection than that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

Ground clearance was the first thing I tried to find out since I currently use an underground parking garage. Several sites seem to state the below:
Brown Beige Rectangle Font Pattern

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think all cars have a protected battery casing, but this might not be what is directly exposed under the car, because of moisture and dirt. All bmws and most other cars have a flat underbody for aero. Tesla, for example, replaced model s skid plates with titanium after some accidents. So yeah, they are well protected, but the fact that it only takes one monkey mechanic with a jack to cause almost a total loss of the car says a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts