BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am pretty sure that Sweden is one of them. Sales personel from JN are going to Stockholm in about a weeks time to try the I4 and I have seen several images from Sweden indicating that at least the eDrive40 should be on display at selected dealers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A guy from Norway has written that eSIM is gone as an option

View attachment 1759
eSim is required for over the air updates and remote functionality. Over here it is included as standard equipment.
I can't imagine that BMW would allow i4's in the market that can not use the over the air updates or use of the remote app. Are you sure this guy is talking about an i4?

·
Registered
17 Posts
eSim is required for over the air updates and remote functionality. Over here it is included as standard equipment.
I can't imagine that BMW would allow i4's in the market that can not use the over the air updates or use of the remote app. Are you sure this guy is talking about an i4?
Its not that. He is talking about Personal eSIM. You could see it on the german configurator (it remains there for now). i checked the norway site and it's not available.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Personal eSIM is not required for OTA. And I cannot see the eSIM option in the configurator anymore.

The guy was writing in a i4 forum only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just read below in another i4 forum, and hope it is not true. It would be a shame to leave out wireless charging in such a new car.

Have any of you heard about options which are being removed from i4 orders due to the chip shortage?

View attachment 1715

View attachment 1716
BMW better not have this type of issue with the I4. They have brilliant Engineers coming out of their ears, WHY DON'T THEY JUST MAKE THEIR OWN CHIPS??

·
Registered
172 Posts
Making modern microprocessors require lithography equipment that can costs hundreds of millions of euros(!) and is extremely capital intensive. That’s why only a handful of foundries exist worldwide. BMW has, as all other German manufacturers relied on the national supplier chain to deliver necessary components for their cars (Bosch, Valeo, etc). For things like cell network chips, companies like Qualcomm probably delivers these, since BMW is not a telecom company or desires to be.
Back to the topic, this is a function that is not enabled in Norway at the current time anyway, so it’s not going to be a loss for anyone, and will probably free up components for other markets.
As far as I understand, this option enables you to tether your own subscription with the car, which maybe in due time will allow you to not have to pay BMW for cellular data connection for remote control of the car etc. it will probably be free for some years and then have a monthly or yearly fee.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
11 Posts
Using the Personal eSIM to make a phone call from your regular phone number when you don't have you phone with you is kinda interesting, provided you'd have access to your full, previously synced, address book. Then again, I never forget my phone when leaving the house. I get antsy taking out the trash without my phone on me. 😬

The more interesting use case could be to use the data bundle on your mobile subscription for the WiFi hotspot. The transfer speeds and rates offered by Telekom HotSpot Drive are ridiculous:

I won't be using that. iPads can be tethered to my phone, which will charging on its wireless charge pad. If that doesn't killed because of the chip shortage. 🤔

·
Registered
28 Posts
From the Danish BMW importer today (Sales Director):

We have not heard that there should be challenges with the I4, but we are waiting for a specific production slot, as it will start up in November

Should we end up with allocation issues, then we must do our best to pass it on asap.

For now - That's not the message we're getting from BMW.

All packages in DK have, among other things, wireless charging, so all packages must be redone if that would be correct.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From the Danish BMW importer today (Sales Director):

We have not heard that there should be challenges with the I4, but we are waiting for a specific production slot, as it will start up in November

Should we end up with allocation issues, then we must do our best to pass it on asap.

For now - That's not the message we're getting from BMW.

All packages in DK have, among other things, wireless charging, so all packages must be redone if that would be correct.
I see that personal eSim is removed from the Danish configurator, as most other countries.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a worse limit :( 48Z (includes lumbar support removal 😡😡😡)
I’m pissed so far and hoping shortage ends before my order is made
Circle Event Font Electric blue Pattern

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Luckily" its passenger side only.
I was told that (in DK) back in June, before ordering.
Had this too. But it seems more like a quirk in the configurator. You can only add lumbar support for driver AND front passenger; and then removal of lumbar support for the front passenger gets also added. The price list actually states that lumbar support is only available for the driver seat in my configuration. Why there is not just "lumbar support for driver seat" heaven knows. Perhaps there are other configurations where it is available for both front seats?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts