BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
347 Posts
In the US, BMW's standard warranty is 4 years/50k miles, and 3 years/36k miles of maintenance is already included for free. Also, federal government regulations require that electric car batteries be warranted for a minimum of 8 years/80k miles.

The maintenance packages are priced high enough in the US that they don't make sense to me. Ultimate care for 3 years/36k miles is $700, 5 years/75k miles is $1700, and 7 years/125k miles is $2400.

Extending the warranty past the original 4 years starts at $3400 for the 5th year coverage and ends up being $5000 for extending it to 7 years.
Yeah, if the standard warranty was 4 years here I would not have gotten any extended warranty. And at those maintenance package prices it makes no sense either. But at 2 years warranty and maintenance package for 4 years being $100 it made sense to me.

· Registered
2023 I4 M50, Brooklyn Grey, Tacora Red Leather, 19” Wheels, Week 48 Build Date
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Maintenance plans and extended warranties are definitely not worth it for this car.

@ssh you can get the maintenance booklet from here: Maintenance Resources | BMW USA

Here's the direct link to the 2022 booklet (no 2023 booklet yet)

2022: https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/...books/2022/BMW_2022_i4_iX_Maintenance_web.pdf

The only maintenance items are:

--Vehicle check (inspecting a laundry list of items). Right now my car's service display is saying do this in 2 years. I don't see anything likely needing to be done from this list except replacing keyfob batteries and windshield washer fluid
--Check and replace brake pads if necessary. As mentioned above, replacing brake pads would be unusual in an EV. I've had two EVs for years and have never replaced brake pads once. Brake pads are not covered by warranty/maintenance plan anyway.
--Check/replace brake fluid if necessary. Right now my car's service display is saying do this in 2 years.
--Replace cabin air filters once every 2 years
Thank you @tonyquan — The link you provided was enlightening. As with almost everything EV related, it seems, maintenance with an electric vehicle also requires a new way of thinking. The maintenance mileage mindset is replaced with a ‘trust the computer’ mindset; it will tell me what needs to be done and when. As @JSH_i4M50 recommends, slowing down and getting to know the car’s personality sounds right — no rush.

· Registered
63 Posts
...also the AC needs to be checked and several other things, for example the battery cooling system and maybe also inspection of motor brushes. At least in Sweden, extended maintenance service is worth paying for if you intend to follow the maintenance recommendations and let an authorized shop do the job for you. We also get 10% off for parts and consumable needed during that period. Extended warranty is a rip-off, but extended service is well worth paying for.
I thought the motor is sealed and not servicable.

· Registered
In transit! 2023 i4 M50, Tanz/Cognac, DAPP, PAP, premium pkg, laserlights, HK sound
45 Posts
...also the AC needs to be checked and several other things, for example the battery cooling system and maybe also inspection of motor brushes. At least in Sweden, extended maintenance service is worth paying for if you intend to follow the maintenance recommendations and let an authorized shop do the job for you. We also get 10% off for parts and consumable needed during that period. Extended warranty is a rip-off, but extended service is well worth paying for.
I personally check my a/c every day; even in the winter (windshield defrost). So do you when you turn it on. Inspection of the motor brushes is similarly performed. The original question regards a maintenance plan. These items that are mentioned are not maintenance items per se. For example, if I tell the service desk too perform maintenance on the a/c and motor brushes, they'll just look at me quizzically and ask if something is broken.

There are no routine maintenance procedures associated with these two items. I don't need to change the a/c refrigerant or check it's level nor do I need to lubricate the brushes in the motor or polish them. The manual mentions neither the a/c nor the motor brushes in the maintenance section.

Understanding the maintenance procedures performed, actually reading the manual (desperate times, I know!), and understanding what you are really paying for will carry you significantly farther and for a lot less money.

· Registered
571 Posts
I thought the motor is sealed and not servicable.
The motor is sealed, but serviceable. There are brushes which at some stage may need to be changed. I don't know if those are inspected during the service or not, maybe there are other measures which can be taken to check them so we don't end up in a sudden situation with worn out brushes mid trip in bad weather on a highway, which would not be a pleasant experience. But the brushes are vital parts for the car, so I am sure BMW have some sort of plan on how often, or if they need to be visually inspected or not.

· Registered
571 Posts
I personally check my a/c every day; even in the winter (windshield defrost). So do you when you turn it on. Inspection of the motor brushes is similarly performed. The original question regards a maintenance plan. These items that are mentioned are not maintenance items per se. For example, if I tell the service desk too perform maintenance on the a/c and motor brushes, they'll just look at me quizzically and ask if something is broken.

There are no routine maintenance procedures associated with these two items. I don't need to change the a/c refrigerant or check it's level nor do I need to lubricate the brushes in the motor or polish them. The manual mentions neither the a/c nor the motor brushes in the maintenance section.

Understanding the maintenance procedures performed, actually reading the manual (desperate times, I know!), and understanding what you are really paying for will carry you significantly farther and for a lot less money.
So you have the maintenance manual of the i4...? Turning on the defrost is one thing, of course I see if it works or not, there is nothing more to check there, but by turning on the AC you do not perform an inspection, it just shows that it works now, no warranty that there is no leak or signs of leak in the system. I can't perform that check. I have no idea of the maintenance plan or the contents of service manual of the i4, all I know is that the maintenance plan of ALL my cars I or my wife ever owned had that check done as part of the plan on regular basis.

Same is true for the brushes. I have no idea if that is part of a service plan, for example changed after a certain number of miles, of it has a warning system when they are worn out, or if they are viually inspected, but turning the car on and drive is NOT an inspection, it does NOT say anything about the condition of the brushes. By the way, those brushes are NOT lubricated and of course, not polished. I definitely know that much about them. It is possible that they will never ever need to be changed, unless there is a material issue in certain batch, but it is also possible that they must be changed say every 100 k miles, but I am sure BMW have figured that out already, and hopefully not just let you drive away from home not knowing if the brushes are fine or need to be changed, not polished or lubricated :D.

· Registered
571 Posts
Yeah, if the standard warranty was 4 years here I would not have gotten any extended warranty. And at those maintenance package prices it makes no sense either. But at 2 years warranty and maintenance package for 4 years being $100 it made sense to me.
How could you get 2 extra years of warranty and maintenance package for 100$ in Sweden...? Of course 100$ is nothing, but that's not the price here.

· Registered
571 Posts
If you feel comfortable adding washer fluid, then a Maintenance Plan is a hard "no".

You may get some pressure to sign now on an extended warranty but there's no need to rush. You can purchase an extended warranty at any point before the base warranty expires. Don't buy an extended warranty right off the bat; you have time to evaluate and get comfortable with the car and learn its "personality". Take your time.
I don't know what they do in the US, but sure, if that's all then do it at home. The washer fluid must be filled more than ones between service and a service takes at least two hours to perform, so at least here in Sweden, they do much more than just filling the washer fluid and inspect the interior lights, but it's up to you. I regard 6 years service with free mileage a no brainer for 1000$, though I fill up the washer fluid on my own.

· Registered
'22 i4 eDrive40 Black Sapphire Metallic
699 Posts
So you have the maintenance manual of the i4...? Turning on the defrost is one thing, of course I see if it works or not, there is nothing more to check there, but by turning on the AC you do not perform an inspection, it just shows that it works now, no warranty that there is no leak or signs of leak in the system. I can't perform that check. I have no idea of the maintenance plan or the contents of service manual of the i4, all I know is that the maintenance plan of ALL my cars I or my wife ever owned had that check done as part of the plan on regular basis.

Same is true for the brushes. I have no idea if that is part of a service plan, for example changed after a certain number of miles, of it has a warning system when they are worn out, or if they are viually inspected, but turning the car on and drive is NOT an inspection, it does NOT say anything about the condition of the brushes. By the way, those brushes are NOT lubricated and of course, not polished. I definitely know that much about them. It is possible that they will never ever need to be changed, unless there is a material issue in certain batch, but it is also possible that they must be changed say every 100 k miles, but I am sure BMW have figured that out already, and hopefully not just let you drive away from home not knowing if the brushes are fine or need to be changed, not polished or lubricated :D.
Here's the maintenance manual of the i4. No mention of checking the brushes, and no HVAC related checks either other than replacing the cabin air filters:

• Helpful
Reactions: JSH_i4M50

· Registered
21 Posts
In Canada if you do not bring your BMW in for service at a BMW dealer when the reminder turns on you loose your extended rust perforation warranty of 12 years and they Include the body in the basic 4 year warranty.

This happened to me this year with my 2012 X5 as I do all my service myself and was refused a rust claim and was told this was BMW Canada policy.

· Registered
571 Posts
Here's the maintenance manual of the i4. No mention of checking the brushes, and no HVAC related checks either other than replacing the cabin air filters:

Thank you. So the brushes are not inspected, then I assume they are expected to work for the lifetime of the car or there are other indicators or warnings when it's time to replace them. Regarding the other points, I see many points which I can't do on my own, and you are wrong, the last point saying "Check the coolant level and anti-freeze concentration for the combined high voltage battery, and also interior passenger space." means that the air conditioner is checked. At least that's my interpretation of that sentence. Anyway, the job done is much more than just filling the washer fluid and checking the lights. The number of steps taken in a regular check takes some time to perform, but if you don't care checking for leaks and damages until the car stops working then I agree, it's waste of money. But if you intend to fix things as soon as problems show up, like a tiny leak which can in the end lead to a pool under your car if you don't fix it in time, then it is well worth in my book. I am not going to wait for the pool under my car, or any other unpleasant surprise, I don't intend to lift my car regularly to inspect everything from below, my intentions are to sit in, enjoy and drive the car, filling fluids when necessary and doing simple maintenance, like changing wipers and shifting summer / winter wheels as long as I can lift the wheels without risking my back. Other than that, car wash in an automatic car wash. That's all.

· Registered
571 Posts
In Canada if you do not bring your BMW in for service at a BMW dealer when the reminder turns on you loose your extended rust perforation warranty of 12 years and they Include the body in the basic 4 year warranty.

This happened to me this year with my 2012 X5 as I do all my service myself and was refused a rust claim and was told this was BMW Canada policy.
Same in Sweden.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts