BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good review of the i4 in Munich show.

note that he locks de car in order to do the review :) also at minute 4 the pull down on id8 sw, never had seen it before. And the M badge inside the engine

·
Registered
181 Posts
@Jcm78 Nice find!

Remarkable, he claims there will be fog lights but integrated in the main light unit. And again no adaptive mode button on this M50.

Reactions: Jcm78

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a great review - exept the range bullshit where he got carried away with his own agenda and the numbers he saw on the vehicle screen. Totally ignoring the sticky tires and the fact that the demo vehicle is only standing still = consuming power without adding kilometers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Other Positive observations:
  • Nice Sound Isolation (despite the lack of Acoustic glass)
  • VERY responsive GUI
  • Tall drivers are fine (I'm tall, although he is taller)
  • HUD seems like another screen, all colorful etc. (But I think I will skip it)
  • The car seems VERY customisable, which is a good thing
  • Nice ambient lights
  • The back trunk cover seems small enough to store it somewhere (so Matt Watson won't throw it to the bushes)
  • If you skip the Harman-Kardon sub-woofer you might have some significant extra space in the boot.
  • Overall a practical car ! Looks and practicality !

Other Negative observations:
  • Door closing sounds are bad. (While he closed the co-driver's door at around 12:00 I actually jump off my seat)
  • Cover of front cupholders might eventualy break on closing
  • Too many one-plastic-surface multiple buttons
  • On screen climate control, a bad idea for many reasons
  • 24.000€ of extra equipment !!!

Under the difficult circumstances...a Great show-off of the car! Kudos!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I will be ordering the Harman Kardon sound system, which means that a limited space remains beneath the trunk floor. But from the sight of it, I guess it will be sufficient to store the charging cables and some maintenance stuff (will keep me occupied during charging stops).

Question remains of course where to put your charging cables during holidays during which one will not have easy access to the lower compartment. On top of your luggage? Not a good idea to put your wet cables there after a rainy charge session. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Question remains of course where to put your charging cables during holidays during which one will not have easy access to the lower compartment. On top of your luggage? Not a good idea to put your wet cables there after a rainy charge session. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Will you actually be using them much? When I go on a road trip, all my charging is done on public chargers which are tethered. I do foresee a time soon when I will use them e.g. staying somewhere that lets me plug in to a wall socket, but that's quite rare I would think. There are the side pockets with the netting - could they be used for cables?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Harman Kardon SS is standard on the M50 in Ireland. I only saw the subwoofer taking up space in the under storage of the boot this week. I’m not sure how I like that. I currently drive a 330e and use that space for charging cable storage. It doesn’t look like there’s enough space there in the M50 for them

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I go on a road trip, all my charging is done on public chargers which are tethered.
Hmmm, I actually did not think of that. Guess you are right (y)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice observations, Lord. I agree. I was very skeptical about that panel with the emergency blinker, the whole panel flexed so much when he pressed it. I guess the tactile button budget is close to 0 nowadays…
Profusely annoying that climate control is on screen instead of getting its own row, bmw climate control has always been so good. Don’t think I’m missing any other buttons though. Lights, steering wheel buttons, volume, drive modes and anti spin is all there!

I wouldn’t worry about acoustic glass. I am certain it’s been tested and options giving the best nvh reduction within budget has been picked.
the ambient light looks REALLY good, it lifts the whole cabin several notches, especially in the back.
Seats being stiff doesn’t surprise me, as discussed in other threads the leather is inexpensive and coated in a plastic layer. Super durable, but doesn’t make you feel like a king on his throne. Support should be top notch though, and they look good.
The cup holder cover, hmm, many cars have that kind of design and it usually is more durable than you think. I think it’s secondary to make the cabin more clean and primarily that manufacturers love to force you to put away your phone while driving. The cheap bastards could have made two wireless chargers though. Maybe it has something to do with the CarPlay stuff, which Tesla doesn’t have. Good cup holder placement.

The cars screen is huge and external. This makes me think, should I skip the leather trimmed dash? You can barely even see it from the driving position. Unlike the older cars that has beautifully curved dashboards with integrated screens. I really hope that trend comes back and screens get smaller and more functional again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think the left side looks pretty good for a cable!
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive design Communication Device Bumper Mobile phone

I don’t have experience in cable folding but when I test drove an etron SUV the cables were in the frunk and occupied a large area, probably the same size as the whole space of i4 including the HK subwoofer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Jcm78 Nice find!

Remarkable, he claims there will be fog lights but integrated in the main light unit. And again no adaptive mode button on this M50.
On the fog lights I think that there are no fog lights, as there is no front fog light button on the i4
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

I think that maybe it could have some cornering lights. A zoom in from the m440i review.

Grille Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

And still to see an m50 with adaptive button. Although in the configurator it shows.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
View attachment 1486
View attachment 1496
I don’t have experience in cable folding but when I test drove an etron SUV the cables were in the frunk and occupied a large area, probably the same size as the whole space of i4 including the HK subwoofer.
my current cable (3 phase 11kw) looks like it would fit. I can test it soon and report.

here is the link in case someone is interested -> link

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will be ordering the Harman Kardon sound system, which means that a limited space remains beneath the trunk floor. But from the sight of it, I guess it will be sufficient to store the charging cables and some maintenance stuff (will keep me occupied during charging stops).

At the net pockets on the sides. Works great in the model 3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts