BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons I am considering the i4 is because of its total cost of ownership. I live in California and was considering a loaded Honda Accord (~$32,000), but thinking I could get the i4 for a reasonable premium has me intrigued. Here is what I'm thinking on pricing:

i4 edrive 40: $60,000 for my config
Federal Tax Credits: $7,500 (if the i4 still is eligible at the time of purchase)
California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project: $2,000
California Clean Fuel Reward: $750
Savings on Fuel Compared to Accord Over Time with Car: $7000

Cost Compared to Accord: $42,750

Anything else I should be considering?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You may also need to factor in the premium over MSRP that most Honda dealers are charging on Accords right now.

The California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project also has some eligibility criteria that you may need to consider.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
365 Posts
You may also need to factor in the premium over MSRP that most Honda dealers are charging on Accords right now.

The California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project also has some eligibility criteria that you may need to consider.
Of course when the time comes for us to take delivery of our i4s, I think many will be shocked when they too are asked to pay over MSRP. I don’t trust these dealers.

·
Registered
902 Posts
One of the reasons I am considering the i4 is because of its total cost of ownership. I live in California and was considering a loaded Honda Accord (~$32,000), but thinking I could get the i4 for a reasonable premium has me intrigued. Here is what I'm thinking on pricing:

i4 edrive 40: $60,000 for my config
Federal Tax Credits: $7,500 (if the i4 still is eligible at the time of purchase)
California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project: $2,000
California Clean Fuel Reward: $750
Savings on Fuel Compared to Accord Over Time with Car: $7000

Cost Compared to Accord: $42,750

Anything else I should be considering?
  • To @Jeroen's point, lower maintenance of the electrical car, also 100% covered by BMW for the first 3 years - Accord is probably $200/year; I would suggest though you factor in an extended warranty for BMW for peace of mind, after the extended warranty the chance of breakage is smaller than ICE because there is not a whole lot that can break (really only the heat pumps, power steering and brake circuits), but when they do, it will be much more expensive for the BMW. So I would call it a wash overall.
  • Tires will probably be MORE expensive, due to heavier car, heavier right foot, and more expensive tires
  • A grin you cannot remove from your face: priceless
  • Leaving a cleaner planet to your children and their children: even more priceless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
  • To @Jeroen's point, lower maintenance of the electrical car, also 100% covered by BMW for the first 3 years - Accord is probably $200/year; I would suggest though you factor in an extended warranty for BMW for peace of mind, after the extended warranty the chance of breakage is smaller than ICE because there is not a whole lot that can break (really only the heat pumps, power steering and brake circuits), but when they do, it will be much more expensive for the BMW. So I would call it a wash overall.
  • Tires will probably be MORE expensive, due to heavier car, heavier right foot, and more expensive tires
  • A grin you cannot remove from your face: priceless
  • Leaving a cleaner planet to your children and their children: even more priceless.
LOVE THIS

·
Registered
23 Posts
Of course when the time comes for us to take delivery of our i4s, I think many will be shocked when they too are asked to pay over MSRP. I don’t trust these dealers.

Don't you have a contract for the price?
With my dealer when I placed the order we agreed on the price(was below the MSRP) made a contract where is stipulated the price and payed a deposit same day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do they compare?
We have made a general calculation for 12 years of ownership, averaging 15000 km/year to see how depreciation and running costs would compare with replacing our car with another second hand ICE car.
This meant guessing the price for fuel (well above 2 euro per liter at the moment) and electricity
For the ICE car, we took te average costs in maintance and extrapolated that. In our our case this is about 2400 euro a year. The I4 is more of a guess, but as mentioned the first 3 year are included in the price and the fourth year can be added for about 500 euro. For the years following that, we made an estimate of 1000 euro a year. Mostly for tires and shocks that have job of keeping 2.1 tons of car on the road and will fail sooner than at those on an ice car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This, is a huge concern of mine too. I'm now being asked for $8k markup for a ionic. So I'm just imagining BMW is going to milk it both on markups and lease/finance rates. My CA didn't give me any confidence. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
365 Posts
This, is a huge concern of mine too. I'm now being asked for $8k markup for a ionic. So I'm just imagining BMW is going to milk it both on markups and lease/finance rates. My CA didn't give me any confidence. I hope I'm wrong.
Yup, unless you have a signed contract stipulating a sale at MSRP, you are at the mercy of your BMW dealer, and that’s not a good place to be. Early on I did ask if there was something we should sign and my sales guy said not at this time.

I thought at the time that was a good thing in that he wasn’t asking for any more money than I had already put down online. In retrospect I was naive. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts