BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i think the i4 - e40 or m50 looks awesome. The front grille is an acquired taste and so I spent a bit of time choosing the right body and trim colors to reduce its influence on the look of the car.
But, i realized that in NJ, where i live, its mandatory to have a front license plate and im not sure the clunky yellow plate is going to do the car's look any favors.

Found this article which I agree with.

What are your thoughts and how do you plan to minimize the impact of the license place in the middle of the grill?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live in California.
We are required to have a front plate. Actually that article shows a picture of a California plate.

Anyway, I'll not install the plate until I get stopped.

I plan to get legacy plates since they come in black with yellow lettering.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in California.
We are required to have a front plate. Actually that article shows a picture of a California plate.

Anyway, I'll not install the plate until I get stopped.

I plan to get legacy plates since they come in black with yellow lettering.

This is going to cost you if you get caught…

What is the fine for no front license plate in California?

A License Plate Display Failure ticket will cost you $196 and Up in fines plus $1,000+ in insurance hikes and penalties. Although the state of California issues two license plates for most vehicles, many vehicle owners choose not to install one of them on their front bumper.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is a fix it ticket for the first infraction.

Does not cause a point. Repeated offenses can get expensive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m in California also and will mount the front plate just to avoid the hassle (I live in San Diego, huge military city, and the cops love to cite 18 year old military members from out of state who aren’t familiar with CA laws so they’ll nitpick this or slightly tinted front windows, etc.).

i don’t love the look of this solution either but there are aftermarket companies that make mounts that attach to the front tow hook and shift the plates to the side. Looks better to me but still not great. Anyhow, that’s what I’ll be doing.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’m in California also and will mount the front plate just to avoid the hassle (I live in San Diego, huge military city, and the cops love to cite 18 year old military members from out of state who aren’t familiar with CA laws so they’ll nitpick this or slightly tinted front windows, etc.).

i don’t love the look of this solution either but there are aftermarket companies that make mounts that attach to the front tow hook and shift the plates to the side. Looks better to me but still not great. Anyhow, that’s what I’ll be doing.

View attachment 5121
I had thought about that. Did that on my E90. The difference from the E90 is the front ultrasound and radar at the front corner.

I got all the parking and driver assist features

I'm not sure how the plate located at the corner will affect those. If I have to run a plate it will be in the correct location, but will be black with yellow letters.

·
Registered
i4 M50
22 Posts
In Poland we have to put front plate. There are morons who still does remove it and keep it in the trunk, but now penalties are quite high. so it keeps getting back to normal. I have alternative option to claim that my car has an American layout and then get short plates (4 letters only) similar to US size.

Most of all I do like Swiss solution - front plate is resized to small:
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Car Photograph

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
367 Posts

View attachment 5121
I’m not a fan of that look, especially when you like things symmetrical.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I never thought that other countries would be so lax about this. In the UK I have never seen anybody try and get away with not having a front number plate. You would soon get stopped and penalised for it. There are also strict regulations as to the size, lettering and spacing of the numbers/letters.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So i think the i4 - e40 or m50 looks awesome. The front grille is an acquired taste and so I spent a bit of time choosing the right body and trim colors to reduce its influence on the look of the car.
But, i realized that in NJ, where i live, its mandatory to have a front license plate and im not sure the clunky yellow plate is going to do the car's look any favors.

Found this article which I agree with.

What are your thoughts and how do you plan to minimize the impact of the license place in the middle of the grill?
I will fortunately live in North Carolina, which does not require a front plate. Many people put some type of custom or comic image there, if there is a bracket.

My dealer confirmed he won't install a front bracket unless I ask for it.

I prefer not having the screws drilled into the grill.

Btw, in you attached link the NY bicolor plate, black and orange, looks nicely smaller because of the black. Maybe NJ has some custom or optional plate that will do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CA resident here. I'll go without until stopped. I've only the had PA rear plate on my car from June 2020 to this month and nothing's happened.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most of our mobile speed cameras (and a lot of ANPR cameras) tend to be front facing, hence you will quickly get pounced on if you don't have a front number plate. It makes sense for speeding detection, if you have to wait for the rear plate, the vehicle has had to pass you and had a chance to spot the detection van.

My son, with his motorbike (which only have rear plates), would frequently remind me of this until he got caught by a less common rear facing speeding van!

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are options for wrap-based license plates, which appear to be passing California requirements. I've seen some Tesla owners with them. I don't think these would work on the i4, since there is a grill. Kind of interesting though, to avoid actually drilling holes in the front.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

I have no personal experience with this, nor do I have any idea if there is a similar approved solution in other countries. I live in a US state that only has rear plates.

·
Registered
25 Posts
CA resident here. I'll go without until stopped. I've only the had PA rear plate on my car from June 2020 to this month and nothing's happened.
You should be fine to be honest. Friend of mine has been driving without a front plate in the bay and LA for about 4 years now, and has never been stopped for it. I see plenty of cars without them in SF, SJ and LA.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thank you @E.J. and @Sol1, the solution of the side mounted license plate looks best IMHO, thank you very much for the link to the EOS version 2 plate. I did order the "Shadowline" trim that reduces the surrounds of the grille to thin grey lines, so I think the front of the car would look best with the tow hook license plate holder, and the side panels are just black trim pieces with no actual ventilation, so it won't hurt the car's cooling a bit. Below is where the little cap for the tow hook hole lives.
Furniture Output device Product Chair Automotive design

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thank you @E.J. and @Sol1, the solution of the side mounted license plate looks best IMHO, thank you very much for the link to the EOS version 2 plate. I did order the "Shadowline" trim that reduces the surrounds of the grille to thin grey lines, so I think the front of the car would look best with the tow hook license plate holder, and the side panels are just black trim pieces with no actual ventilation, so it won't hurt the car's cooling a bit. Below is where the little cap for the tow hook hole lives.
View attachment 5168
Yes, it is a beautiful solution. AND if you keep it charged you won't ever need to be towed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts