BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody takes about it. Some think it's great, others think it's a ridiculous feature. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum. So, we're not gonna discuss that here.
But suppose this feature is active, and you're playing some music, will you still hear the Hans Zimmer Sounds?
And what if you turn up the volume with a serious beat, will the iconicSounds also sound louder?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everybody takes about it. Some think it's great, others think it's a ridiculous feature. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum. So, we're not gonna discuss that here.
But suppose this feature is active, and you're playing some music, will you still hear the Hans Zimmer Sounds?
And what if you turn up the volume with a serious beat, will the iconicSounds also sound louder?
I would assume the IconicSounds are pre-set at fixed volumes (might be able to adjust that with few select steps) - but having the iconicsounds increase with the actual infotainment volume wouldn't really make any sense ;) Engine noise from a regular ICE wouldn't do that - i assume they try to replicate a somewhat engine noise - even though this one might be on the more sci-fi side :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
It surely was a brilliant idea of the marketing department; such a silly little feature but the talk of the town.

In the iX3 it was mixed with the normal sound from the audio system rather in the background. It did not get louder with the sound volume. It did get louder when pushing the accelerator (like a normal engine) or when lifting off from the accelerator (rather not like a normal engine). The harder the acceleration the more noticeable the sound. It was also louder in sport mode. I don't recall if it varied with speed.

There were also various settings related to the sound: Either have it off completely, or have it more subdued (like in comfort) in every drive mode or always like in sport mode.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Since the "noise" is supposedly coming from the "engine" they could have put a dedicated speaker for that somewhere underneath the center console. Not messing with the music at all.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
169 Posts
I would think if the stereo has speed adjusted volume, when you go faster,, and the volume is loud , the stereo will go louder drowning out the engine noise. It works that way on my bmw bike. It wouldn't make sense to have high volume stereo and the moronic sounds get louder. Hehe

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
239 Posts
I tested the iconic sounds on a iX 50 test drive last week with the radio playing and it’s ok (quieter than an ice). I think is ok for getting used to electric in comfort and maybe somewhere down the line you disable it. It adds to the fun of acceleration so I would probably leave it on in sport.

See here #4
4. Iconic sounds - I liked it. It gives some feedback of throttle and it’s quiet in comfort mode. I guess it will be a good option to active while migrating from ice and perhaps disable later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think is ok for getting used to electric in comfort and maybe somewhere down the line you disable it. It adds to the fun of acceleration so I would probably leave it on in sport.
I didn’t get a chance to test it but I was thinking the same : leave it on in sport mode only.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It would have been nice to have loadable / configurable sounds. If you're going to put in fake sounds, it's not a big leap to allow customisable sounds. I would sooner they spent the Zimmer fee on such a feature. As long as there is an off option - I'm happy ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for nostalgic people
Before anyone else can say "yeah, ok, but you can turn it off", I'd like to point out that in most (civilized) countries it is forbidden to rev your engine. 95dB is usually the limit.
You can find dozens of movies on youtube about people being pulled over by the police. Lambo's are easy victims...
(Don't get me wrong: I also love the sound of a good exhaust ;))

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have had an EV for 2 years, I don't want any artificial sounds. Part of the EV experience for me is the sound of ---- no engine noise (or lack of). I enjoy the smooth experience of no ICE. The frst thing I will do is turn them off.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Have had an EV for 2 years, I don't want any artificial sounds. Part of the EV experience for me is the sound of ---- no engine noise (or lack of). I enjoy the smooth experience of no ICE. The frst thing I will do is turn them off.
Fully agree, but if BMW had implemented the sounds of their iconic engines, I would have loved to play with them!
Instead of paying homage to the past, they paid a Hollywood star to make a futuristic sound :cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts